post your grado mods....
May 13, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #632 of 8,992
I've had my 325s for years (the original 325) but mostly preferred speakers. My wife has been complaining that I always have music on, so I thought I'd kill two birds and use my headphones more often. Love the sound but could never get comfortable with the earpads. I've tried:

Sock mod - not just covering the bowls, but a wool sock rolled up into the size of a large earpad. Very comfortable but the soundstage was slightly muffled.

Bowl tape mod - used 3/4" velcro strip wrapped twice. Looks great and increases the bass, but not more comfortable.

Speaker grill cloth - takes the shine off the highs of the original 325s.

Rat shack flats - Very comfortable but the material muffled the highs too much, the quarter size hole mod still left too much material, and they put the cans too close to my ear, reducing the soundstage.

So I ended up with the ultra rat shack mod. Rat shack flat pads with a large hole (40mm - the same size as the other side), with a donut shaped spacer covered with speaker grill material for looks and sound.

ratshack2.jpg

The cut on the pad doesn't have to be real clean as I use that side towards the cans. The donut could be any rigid material but I used a soft, cork-like material for comfort. The size is 5mm thick with a 40mm id and 60mm od. And the speaker grill material is wrapped around the donut and glued on the back side. The donut is just inserted into the pad and then the pad is attached like normal.

ratshack1.jpg

Clean look and nice shape and comfortable enough to wear for hours.

May 13, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #633 of 8,992
Hey guys,
I am looking forward to buying my grados. As such which grados from the prestige series is the best for modding. As I understand 225i is the same with 125i except the mesh? In the presige series is there a deference between 60-225 or the only deferent model is 325 and how much is it worth it for rock (pink floyd, the doors...). Will the modifications make a 60 the same with a 225? or the 225 with modification will get better too. In general which is the difference between models?

How do you make custom cups from wood? I have never processed wood (only metal), are the deferent designs affect the sound? Or it easy just the wood which is needed for the better bass?

Sorry new to this and have a load of questions.

Thanks for your time,
-George

May 13, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #634 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,
I am looking forward to buying my grados. As such which grados from the prestige series is the best for modding. As I understand 225i is the same with 125i except the mesh? In the presige series is there a deference between 60-225 or the only deferent model is 325 and how much is it worth it for rock (pink floyd, the doors...). Will the modifications make a 60 the same with a 225? or the 225 with modification will get better too. In general which is the difference between models?

How do you make custom cups from wood? I have never processed wood (only metal), are the deferent designs affect the sound? Or it easy just the wood which is needed for the better bass?

Sorry new to this and have a load of questions.

Thanks for your time,
-George

[Opinion]

If you are going to woody and mod, I think 125 is the deal. I think I can can argue the point that the drivers are almost identical if not identical from 125 to RS-1. Just read the Grado ad copy. They tell you where and wahat was done with each model. The grate is extremely important for the sound. There is a monster diff in the 125 and 225 grate. The MS-1s look like the bang for the buck cheapest to set up a mod project on. From the description, they look like 125s, just cheaper. The 60/80s are obviously a different driver.
[/Opeinion]

May 13, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #636 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you say the best for modification is either 125i nor MS1?

Yes!

I think the drivers are the same from SR125 to RS-1.

If you read the differences between models on the Grado page. They build on the SR125. They just change cables, headbands, and bowls.

The MS-1 looks like it has the SR125 drivers and cups, so it looks like a SR125 to me, just cheaper. Maybe because it doesn't wear the Grado badge.

This is not an unusual way to do things.

The Beyer 770/880/990 use the same drivcer
The Denon 2000/5000/7000 use the same driver

May 13, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #637 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes!

I think the drivers are the same from SR125 to RS-1.

If you read the differences between models on the Grado page. They build on the SR125. They just change cables, headbands, and bowls.

The MS-1 looks like it has the SR125 drivers and cups, so it looks like a SR125 to me, just cheaper. Maybe because it doesn't wear the Grado badge.

This is not an unusual way to do things.

The Beyer 770/880/990 use the same drivcer
The Denon 2000/5000/7000 use the same driver

Don't know enough to argue the point reference Grado's although I doubt Drivers from SR125 through to RS-1 are the same. But I do know that the Denon's use the same driver in the D2K and D5k only, the driver in the D7K is a completely different driver. Just FYI.......

Where do you get this info?

May 14, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #638 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know enough to argue the point reference Grado's although I doubt Drivers from SR125 through to RS-1 are the same. But I do know that the Denon's use the same driver in the D2K and D5k only, the driver in the D7K is a completely different driver. Just FYI.......

Well, like I said, just read Grado's descriptions of their models.

RE Denon, Mark Lawtons page

If you have a line of headphones, you'll emphasize the differences.

May 14, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #639 of 8,992
I have 125s, 325s, and RS-1s. All were just sent back to Grado for repairs as I bought all of them with blown drivers. The prices to replace the drivers were all different, but the 125s and 325s were within $10. The RS-1s were significantly higher to replace and they held up my order for three weeks. I spoke to John himself when I called in to inquire on them and he told it was the RS-1s holding everything up. The drivers in the RS-1s are different and they cannot be swapped into 325s or vice versa. Brand new, all else being equal, I was amazed how much better the RS-1s sounded than the 325s. And by sales literature, they have the same cables and earpads so that's not the difference. I know the screen/grate has a HUGE effect, but I doubt the wood versus aluminum cup is where the main difference occurs.

I need to take some measurements on the 325 and RS-1 screens to see how much more open the RS-1s are than the 325s. I'm also planning to BluTac the 125s and put them in woodies for looks, then use really open screen to see how close they sound to the 325s. Oh, I have the old cable from the RS-1s, so I'll use that on the 125s so the cables will be equal too.
wink.gif

May 14, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #640 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have 125s, 325s, and RS-1s. All were just sent back to Grado for repairs as I bought all of them with blown drivers. The prices to replace the drivers were all different, but the 125s and 325s were within $10. The RS-1s were significantly higher to replace and they held up my order for three weeks. I spoke to John himself when I called in to inquire on them and he told it was the RS-1s holding everything up. The drivers in the RS-1s are different and they cannot be swapped into 325s or vice versa. Brand new, all else being equal, I was amazed how much better the RS-1s sounded than the 325s. And by sales literature, they have the same cables and earpads so that's not the difference. I know the screen/grate has a HUGE effect, but I doubt the wood versus aluminum cup is where the main difference occurs.

I need to take some measurements on the 325 and RS-1 screens to see how much more open the RS-1s are than the 325s. I'm also planning to BluTac the 125s and put them in woodies for looks, then use really open screen to see how close they sound to the 325s. Oh, I have the old cable from the RS-1s, so I'll use that on the 125s so the cables will be equal too.
wink.gif

That definitely is something to discuss. Just because they charge more for the drivers doesn't mean much to tell you the truth. That could represent anything. Like how much harder the opening procedure is to whether there are a difference in the drivers. They charge $100 to redriver the GS1000s. I've also paid to redriver the 125s ad MS-1s for $35.

The grate on the back and the back pressure on the driver has a whole lot to do with the Sound. I am amazed that they have the buttons on them.

May 20, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #641 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Don't worry, they're not. Anyone that has actually heard them can instantly tell this is not the case. He has proved that he has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to all things Grado. He gets his info from his backside.

He keeps referencing the Grado webpage where anyone that knows how to read can clearly see for themselves that the drivers are different. Only the 125 and 225 share the same driver, the only difference being that the 225s drivers are more closely matched.

May 20, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #642 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry, they're not. Anyone that has actually heard them can instantly tell this is not the case. He has proved that he has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to all things Grado. He gets his info from his backside.

He keeps referencing the Grado webpage where anyone that knows how to read can clearly see for themselves that the drivers are different. Only the 125 and 225 share the same driver, the only difference being that the 225s drivers are more closely matched.

I BLASTED you in one thread and you showed up here, that's pathetic! Tell everyone here how you think Grado has 13 different drivers????

Go Ahead, Line that crap out here!!

May 20, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #643 of 8,992
While I doubt the prestige series share the exact same driver as the RS series, I would say that if you do plan on woodying, it doesn't make sense to get the SR225, as the 125s are the same minus a different housing (mesh or dimension wise).

IMO, I think the MS1 is the BEST candidate, as they are great with most genres and have the capability to become MS1000s. Not to mention they are the cheapest.

May 20, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #644 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I BLASTED you in one thread and you showed up here, that's pathetic! Tell everyone here how you think Grado has 13 different drivers????

Go Ahead, Line that crap out here!!

It's beyond hilarious how delusional you are. There you go with your capitalized words and four question marks again.

The only one you "blasted" in that other thread was yourself, by posting a silly Gary Busey picture.

I don't need to tell anyone about Grados different drivers. They can read it for themselves on their own website.

May 20, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #645 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's beyond hilarious how delusional you are. There you go with your capitalized words and four question marks again.

The only one you "blasted" in that other thread was yourself, by posting a silly Gary Busey picture.

I don't need to tell anyone about Grados different drivers. They can read it for themselves on their own website.

You don't address the content, for some reason punctuation bothers you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back