post your grado mods....
May 6, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #616 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got the cabling idea from R&B180 at begining of this thread. It's a Van Damme UP SPOFC which obviously you can change. Then just allan grubs on the headband to keep things in place.

P1000940.jpg

Would u mind if i asked for dimensions on these cups?

May 6, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #617 of 8,992
They are just standard 325i's, I think they are about 50mm wide to match the drivers.

I do have another mod underway which I will post pics of as soon as the parts come back from the machinist. I've designed custom rod blocks with an integrated grub (should be hidden if he's done it right) + rod caps to match. All done in a light brass to match the earcups......

May 6, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #618 of 8,992
Quote:

They are just standard 325i's, I think they are about 50mm wide to match the drivers.

I do have another mod underway which I will post pics of as soon as the parts come back from the machinist. I've designed custom rod blocks with an integrated grub (should be hidden if he's done it right) + rod caps to match. All done in a light brass to match the earcups......

Don't excite me like that...

May 11, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #619 of 8,992
Well this is my final couple of mods.........

Reserected my headband after discovering I couldn't get a new one, I'd already taken off and destroyed the plastic slider blocks modding it for something else. Anyway a mate turned these for me when I told him what I was after, they are brass so the colour matches. The pad is just a single Senn HD25 self adhesive.

P1000962.jpg

P1000963.jpg

P1000964.jpg

May 11, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #620 of 8,992
Quote:

Well this is my final couple of mods.........

Reserected my headband after discovering I couldn't get a new one, I'd already taken off and destroyed the plastic slider blocks modding it for something else. Anyway a mate turned these for me when I told him what I was after, they are brass so the colour matches. The pad is just a single Senn HD25 self adhesive.

P1000962.jpg

P1000963.jpg

P1000964.jpg

Hi Spud,
Are the gimbals and the round pins Grado? Where can I get some of those modded sliders? Very Nice! Are you using the metal portion of the headband?

Very Slick stuff there!

May 11, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #621 of 8,992
Thanks Les,

It's all Grado except the slider blocks. There is a hole in each side of the headband already to fix the slider blocks. I could ask my mate if he wouldn't mid turning some more for you? They weren't that cheap though even with mates rates, the cost is all in the setting up apparently. I'm happy though........

May 11, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #622 of 8,992
Quote:

Thanks Les,

It's all Grado except the slider blocks. There is a hole in each side of the headband already to fix the slider blocks. I could ask my mate if he wouldn't mid turning some more for you? They weren't that cheap though even with mates rates, the cost is all in the setting up apparently. I'm happy though........

I might be interested in those just cause they look so freakin' sharp? They look like they offset the drivers away from your head a little, is that a problem?

Les

May 11, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #624 of 8,992
Quote:

They do offset slightly but I've adjusted the headband to suit my noggin. Do you want me to ask him to make you a set?

Sure, If you can get a price quote that would be great.

May 13, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #627 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by winwin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would aluminum sound better than wood?

I believe in the mS1000 thread, the suggestion is that the cup behind the driver has no effect on the sound. The only exception being the free breathing ability of the Grate. They did tests with different cup lengths and materials and found no difference.

May 13, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #628 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe in the mS1000 thread, the suggestion is that the cup behind the driver has no effect on the sound. The only exception being the free breathing ability of the Grate. They did tests with different cup lengths and materials and found no difference.

Really? That's odd... I thought wooden audio stuff wood make better sound compared to plastic ones. Maybe on closed types? Any suggested mods for sr60i?

May 13, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #629 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by winwin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? That's odd... I thought wooden audio stuff wood make better sound compared to plastic ones. Maybe on closed types? Any suggested mods for sr60i?

Hi,
Yeah you would think so. Read the MS1000 tread, it's an eye opener. Also there are very few Grado drivers. You can read the Grado ad copy to figure out where the drivers are changed. There is a definite break at the SR125. That's the one I would mod. Or the MS-1 Allesandro which is considerably less expensive. They may do some driver doping along the way. Hard to KNOW for sure.

I can tell you that no-CUP'd SR225's sound like Cup'd SR225s to me. But the revelations about the cups in the MS1000 thread was still pretty amazing to me.

If you have a 60, the world is your Oyster!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back