Portable Mini-to-Mini Cables Quick Impressions
May 17, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #91 of 136
  Thanks for the clarification. I suspected as much too, as well these cable sales keeps the industry going. Profits drive R&D budgets which in turn churns out new companies and new products. So in a way it is quite healthy (to some extent).

I mean, I agree with good cable design for headphones like the braiding that minimises the microphonic effect, shielding for cables used that are too close to things that causes interferences, etc. These keep the sound in the cans "cleaner" but some of the exotic cables I have seen in the shops are costing as much as a motorcycle and that always baffles me. Audio engineers tend to shy from the hi-fi community but my curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to find out more about the mindset and the way folks here look at all these accessories.

Looking forward to getting more insight from this community, as it is healthy and there are some matured people who are really open to discussing things with an open mindset.

*respect*

Under the "Equipment Forum", you will find "sound science", which you might enjoy.  Welcome to Head-Fi!

May 17, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #92 of 136

Under the "Equipment Forum", you will find "sound science", which you might enjoy.  Welcome to Head-Fi!

Thank you for the welcome. I will swing by there and learn about sound all over again from the hi-fiers. It is indeed an interesting world. To audio professionals, this is almost like a parallel universe.

May 17, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #93 of 136
  Thanks for the clarification. I suspected as much too, as well these cable sales keeps the industry going. Profits drive R&D budgets which in turn churns out new companies and new products. So in a way it is quite healthy (to some extent).

I mean, I agree with good cable design for headphones like the braiding that minimises the microphonic effect, shielding for cables used that are too close to things that causes interferences, etc. These keep the sound in the cans "cleaner" but some of the exotic cables I have seen in the shops are costing as much as a motorcycle and that always baffles me. Audio engineers tend to shy from the hi-fi community but my curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to find out more about the mindset and the way folks here look at all these accessories.

Looking forward to getting more insight from this community, as it is healthy and there are some matured people who are really open to discussing things with an open mindset.

*respect*

I was a cable skeptic till I finally had a cable made for me. Not I did not pay huge dollar on it and I had no idea what it was made up, the designer asked me to test it and listen with the other cheaper mass produced mini-mini and I did. The changes for me was not subtle. Initially I came from two IEM that was made by oyadie and furutech that are both sounded the same to me which should as both were threaded standard copper. After asking the designer about his cable he advised me that he used four solid core coper/silver hybrid. 

I agree paying 500 for a mini-mini is insane, sure it will sound different (better or worst is up to you preference) but after reading about it all nothing cost as high as 300 for a short mini-mini. What noramally happens is the designer finds a good design, tests it with different people and as it gets famous they set a high dollar figure on it. People eventually accept it as it has way too much positive review backing it up.

So can it sound different? Yes. Would you like it? Depends on you.

As AnakChan said already interconnects should be the last thing in anyones chain. Once you have your IEM and DAP/amp all set than focus on the final bits of your setup. 

True points all!  I admit I succumbed to the upgrade bug. Here are my crazy expensive cables, impulse buys I confess!

May 17, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #94 of 136
  Thank you for the welcome. I will swing by there and learn about sound all over again from the hi-fiers. It is indeed an interesting world. To audio professionals, this is almost like a parallel universe.

I'm sure from your perspective, the science part will, at times, get a little sketchy!

May 17, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #95 of 136
  I'm sure from your perspective, the science part will, at times, get a little sketchy!

Read a couple of threads and these guys have a unique perspective.  :)

But the thing is, everyone's hearing is different, and sound preference is subjective, so there is no right and no wrong at all in every individual's music preference and taste. Just the physics part and the application, the people who consume music and the people making them look at things very differently.

Aug 7, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #96 of 136
  I thought I'd add two more mini-2-mini IC's to the impressions list. I have had both these cables for some time now from Gavin/spkrs01 but I've not had time to go through them properly till today.

My base reference is Phanom's/Mezzo Soprano's IC which I believe are Mundorf based cables (top). Please be aware that (by this point, for me), the differences between the cables are quite slight and as what some may term as "splitting hairs". There are differences between the cables but they're (as with some previous) aren't night 'n day differences and really boils down to a matter of sonic preferences, ergonomics of the cables, price/value for money, etc. As such the writeup I have for this isn't going to be big.

The middle cable is a Crystal Connect Micro by Crystal Cables with Neutrik 3.5mm right-angle connectors. To my ears the Crystal Connect Micro has a slightly deeper sub bass extension with a tighter thump than the Mezzo Soprano but doesn't seem to be as warm as the Mezzo Soprano. I'm tempted to say that it's the upper bass or lower midrange that it's less "full" than the Mezzo Soprano. However the midrange to the trebles are clean and airy despite not having a long burn-in time. If the Mezzo Soprano is warm and rich in sound, the Crystal Connect Micro is more analytical and clinical.

The 3rd in the stack is the Siltech Duchess (i.e. a 2m Siltech Duchess cable cut up to make into a 9-core mini-2-mini cable). This cable seems to be sheathed in the same fabric material as the Uber mini-2o-mini. To my ears it seems to have the best of both Mezzo Soprano and Crystal Connect Micro worlds. The overall signature seems to lean towards the rich warmth of the Mezzo Soprano but has a nice bass impact and has a somewhat larger and more spacious sound and depth imaging. The trebles feel airy like the Crystal Connect Micro.

How are the Crystal Connect Micro & Siltech Duchess compared to the Tralucent Uber?

Aug 7, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #97 of 136
How are the Crystal Connect Micro & Siltech Duchess compared to the Tralucent Uber?
Mate, I can't even remember this morning let alone last year :wink:. Sadly I've returned some of the cables to the makers as they were loaners.

Aug 13, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #99 of 136

Oh hahaha
Do you still plan on doing more cable comparisons in the future?
I'd be willing to send you some for comparison purposes.

I do. In fact I owe Ken Ball a review of his mini-2-mini which he sent to me a few months back. It's the same mini-2-mini in this :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/697166/the-astell-kern-ak240/615#post_10149607

I'm slowing down in my reviews though 'cos of this silly tinnitus thing I've got. May be psychological as last weekend's hearing tests showed that my hearing hasn't changed in 2 years however something is bugging me that's made it difficult to do any reviews.

Aug 13, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #100 of 136

I do. In fact I owe Ken Ball a review of his mini-2-mini which he sent to me a few months back. It's the same mini-2-mini in this :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/697166/the-astell-kern-ak240/615#post_10149607

I'm slowing down in my reviews though 'cos of this silly tinnitus thing I've got. May be psychological as last weekend's hearing tests showed that my hearing hasn't changed in 2 years however something is bugging me that's made it difficult to do any reviews.

Wow that cable is huge hahaha
Hope you get better soon!

After I get the cc dreamline plus re-terminated I'll let you know.

Sep 2, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #102 of 136
Is there another link for the custom art silverline? It is not working. Hope that it is not out of production. 
I must say I've lost touch with Peter & going to his site now he makes IEMs too! I'd recommend you to drop him a mail through his website to ask about the SilverLine if is still in production.

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #103 of 136
I have checked.  Unfortunately they replied it is no longer in production.

Are there any other reasonably priced silver interconnect cables to complement my e-Q8?  Don't feel like paying more than 100 bucks for a mini...

Sep 2, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #104 of 136
  I have checked.  Unfortunately they replied it is no longer in production.

Are there any other reasonably priced silver interconnect cables to complement my e-Q8?  Don't feel like paying more than 100 bucks for a mini...

You might check the AudioMinor store on Ebay.  I've purchased several of his connectors, and they have always been low cost and very good quality cables. IMO.. I'm using an Uber interconnect and compared to an SPC AudioMinor interconnect I have, the SQ difference is very slight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back