or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK240
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell & Kern AK240 - Page 42

post #616 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

Yep...though AK100 sounded a bit thin. Well anyways Rudi, we can buy it together and share wink.gif

then AK100mk2 will be just nice. Not thin sounding IMO.
post #617 of 8541
The blog must be mine. Yes it's Android based but AK240 and ZX1 are different.
Android in AK240 is consealed from users. I realised it by looking a directory strucrure. Later I confirmed it by asking to iriver fellow.
Seems like AK240 does not take a smartphone aproach seen in ZX1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonix View Post

Read Japanese blog on the AK240 - looks like it's Android based.
So wifi streaming etc... makes sense.

Edited by Sasaki - 1/9/14 at 4:48pm
post #618 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonix View Post
 

Don't think an official MSRP was ever announced for the AK240 is that right? In which case they could still be thinking where to price this given the new competition. They could be reading this thread (I'm sure they are) to gauge where it should be placed. Given all the new AND strong competition coming out IMHO they should scrap the AK100 replace that slot with the AK120 with AK100 MK 2 price point (titan a little more) and put the AK240 into where the AK120 was. That to me would make more sense and tell other companies that they are here to compete and defend their turf.... 

 

The Sony ZX1 looks to be potentially nipping at the AK100's slot (similiar pricing). The Calyx M looks quite credible and could give AK120 a run (I'm betting it does given they built the Femto). While not the same thing the Chord Hugo shows what cutting edge tech can be had for $2k and is probably going to blow the AK240 out of the water with regard to SQ. I don't doubt that the competition in 2014 is going to be TOUGH and I suspect iRiver knows this. In the open market you can defend that if you have something nobody else can produce (ie. proprietary technologies) or have a natural monopoly on things. Don't think either is the case here. My $0.02.

 

Enough "feedback" has been given on the pricing of the AK240. Hopefully they are reading this thread. 

 

Now the question is how does this thing sound? Very eager to read about people having 1st hand experience.

I'm not sure that you aware about this, but many AK120 owners have sold their players once they auditioned the ZX-1.  Like the AK240, the ZX-1 has a wifi streaming ability via the custom DLNA application as well.  I was able to stream hi-rez contents from my portable wifi drive very easily.  The ZX-1 is top notch in term of sound surpassing my MS-AK100 very nicely.  The ZX-1's UI is just way superb.


Edited by purk - 1/9/14 at 5:06pm
post #619 of 8541

Mim & GV, I think you guys should take this offline. If that doesn't work, feel free to block each other. The rest of us don't need to see "famous last words" here.

 

Meanwhile more than 10 pages of "expensive", "crazy", "ugly" isn't telling any of the readers here about the product. I think they can decide and see for themselves. Thanks to Sasaki-san, VisceriousZERO, and a few others for trying to bring the thread back on topic.

post #620 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

I'm not sure that you aware about this, but many AK120 owners have sold their players once they auditioned the ZX-1.  Like the AK240, the ZX-1 has a wifi streaming ability via the custom DLNA application as well.  I was able to stream hi-rez contents from my portable wifi drive very easily.  The ZX-1 is top notch in term of sound surpassing my MS-AK100 very nicely.  The ZX-1's UI is just way superb.

Many? The fellow in the post below yours did but never said the ZX-1 was an upgrade in sound. Different strokes for different folks.:bigsmile_face: Sure does seem to be a lot of animosity towards AK due to price. No one is forced to buy these things and they will not change mainstream pricing. These products are a minute portion of the market. 

post #621 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post
 

Many? The fellow in the post below yours did but never said the ZX-1 was an upgrade in sound. Different strokes for different folks.:bigsmile_face: Sure does seem to be a lot of animosity towards AK due to price. No one is forced to buy these things and they will not change mainstream pricing. These products are a minute portion of the market. 

 

Re-read my post again.  I didn't say that the ZX-1 is an upgrade sound wise over the AK120.  All I said was many AK120 owners have sold theirs once they auditioned or bought the ZX-1.  The ZX-1 may not have the best sound quality but it is a very solid A as a whole package.

post #622 of 8541

Hey All,

 

I dropped by the iRiver room at CES today. I have to admit when I saw the photos posted of the AK240 I was really really puzzled by it, it looked like some kind of Klingon weapon with all the sharp edges. The odd angled edge was also a put off. However in person it is pretty sweet, fits well in my hand also the fit and finish drip high end, very polished and ergonomically fit. Sounded really good, I am so happy to see a line out function built into the device. The UI is different from their other players and I found it easy to navigate. nice work iRiver.

 

Here are a few iPhone shots...

 

 

post #623 of 8541
Ken, How do you think it sounds compared to the AK120? I know you probably did not have much time with it but any thoughts would be very helpful.Thanks
post #624 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post

I'm not sure that you aware about this, but many AK120 owners have sold their players once they auditioned the ZX-1.  Like the AK240, the ZX-1 has a wifi streaming ability via the custom DLNA application as well.  I was able to stream hi-rez contents from my portable wifi drive very easily.  The ZX-1 is top notch in term of sound surpassing my MS-AK100 very nicely.  The ZX-1's UI is just way superb.

Except 128gb non-expandable is a joke for hi-res audio. The storage competes well with the Fiio and iBasso players but is nowhere where it needs to be. And those players will have the edge when 128gb microsd cards become available.
post #625 of 8541
If possible, please not discuss how ak120 compares to zx-1 as there are still many things to find out about ak240.

I have read the line out feature using the firmware and the line out shares the same jack as phone out. This seems to be different to other dap i have experienced. Just wondering what the voltage is.
post #626 of 8541

I'm proud of A&K, Making such futuristic product and luxurious yet a high end DAP. Now the wait begins. btw I talked with Suyama-San, and maybe he gonna change his AK120 into AK240 (he keep the secret of AK240 is sound better than the AK120)

post #627 of 8541

I do agree with Ken that it looks Klingon :) Maybe its their tricorder...

 

This is how you will listen to it:

 

post #628 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post

If possible, please not discuss how ak120 compares to zx-1 as there are still many things to find out about ak240.

I have read the line out feature using the firmware and the line out shares the same jack as phone out. This seems to be different to other dap i have experienced. Just wondering what the voltage is.

Just a guess but I'd bet it close to 2v. 

post #629 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post

If possible, please not discuss how ak120 compares to zx-1 as there are still many things to find out about ak240.

I have read the line out feature using the firmware and the line out shares the same jack as phone out. This seems to be different to other dap i have experienced. Just wondering what the voltage is.

I am afraid that this supposed line out" is NOT a real line out.  Just the headphone out set a maximum volume !!  

post #630 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
 

Hey All,

 

I dropped by the iRiver room at CES today. I have to admit when I saw the photos posted of the AK240 I was really really puzzled by it, it looked like some kind of Klingon weapon with all the sharp edges. The odd angled edge was also a put off. However in person it is pretty sweet, fits well in my hand also the fit and finish drip high end, very polished and ergonomically fit. Sounded really good, I am so happy to see a line out function built into the device. The UI is different from their other players and I found it easy to navigate. nice work iRiver.

 

Here are a few iPhone shots...

 

 

 

Thanks for your feedback.  can you tell us how much the user interface is improved.  Did you check the playlist function ? 

 

Also do you believe tghat this line out is a REAL Clean LINE OUT or just the headphone out set at maximum volume ? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK240