P4 the Warbler a new portable amp from iBasso . . first impression pg 3 . images Pg 6&7 . . .
Nov 17, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #76 of 561
^The D12 came so quickly (about 2 days from CN to California) last week and I was so happy with it that I ordered the P4 late Friday and received it yesterday. 

It went out from CN about 1am in the morning Monday our time.

So for me, both items, ridiculously fast.   

Nov 17, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #77 of 561
I really like the fi.Q and it is the best portable I have heard but what surprises me is how good the P4 is in comparison. While there are certain areas the fi.Q with 18 volts and 1300mws of output shows its strength, as well as openness and finesse in sound, the P4 is right up there. Great bass drive and I have not had it get congested at any time, even with hard driving complex well recorded blues and rock. My source is lossless and 24/96 to the MB-2 dual dac via optical from my MacBook Pro. 

I haven't really explored the capabilities of the P4 yet. I did have it in 4 channel with the buf634 but I don't like that combination. There are some op amps that will work well for the V/G and I need to try that as I like 4 channel for its openness, when done correctly. I am still using the stock op amps and am told that other op amps will open up the P4 even more with greater depth to the sound stage but right now the tuneful bass is just a kick. 

Nov 17, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #78 of 561

Quote:
^The D12 came so quickly (about 2 days from CN to California) last week and I was so happy with it that I ordered the P4 late Friday and received it yesterday. 

It went out from CN about 1am in the morning Monday our time.

So for me, both items, ridiculously fast.   

Hey CEE TEE, since you have the IE8s, can you give some impressions of the P4>IE8 combo? I've been looking for a good amp for the IE8s, and tried the D4 which was awesome. Would be interested to know how well the P4 fares.

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #79 of 561
@Jamato, I am new to rolling so please keep us updated after you have had enough time to experiment and let us know which combinations to try.

I may post a couple of photographs with the P4 rolling kit with a macro lens and number the chips so others can identify what is what and which combinations they are trying.

Ron (HiFlight) color codes his chips so he can communicate the "sets" and you can easily tell which ones he is talking about.  I may do that on the D12 thread as well later so we are all talking about the same things.  Has that been done before anywhere else on Head-Fi?    

Quote:
I really like the fi.Q and it is the best portable I have heard but what surprises me is how good the P4 is in comparison. While there are certain areas the fi.Q with 18 volts and 1300mws of output shows its strength, as well as openness and finesse in sound, the P4 is right up there. Great bass drive and I have not had it get congested at any time, even with hard driving complex well recorded blues and rock. My source is lossless and 24/96 to the MB-2 dual dac via optical from my MacBook Pro. 

I haven't really explored the capabilities of the P4 yet. I did have it in 4 channel with the buf634 but I don't like that combination. There are some op amps that will work well for the V/G and I need to try that as I like 4 channel for its openness, when done correctly. I am still using the stock op amps and am told that other op amps will open up the P4 even more with greater depth to the sound stage but right now the tuneful bass is just a kick. 

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #80 of 561
@Darkchaser...I have a lot of new gear and will try to get it settled and get to know it so I can share something meaningful with you.

I didn't really get the amps for the IE8 as much as my other phones but I will try to do some comparisons and let you know if I hear any "improvements" to my ears.  But, these amps come with a lot of chips and I am new to testing them out.  I am trying to acclimate myself with the amps as stock first and with my different sources.   Plus, I have been spending more time with full-size Grados as of late.

Which source are you using?

I love the IE8 straight out of the Sony X.  After I get the X LOD I'll try the IE8 and each phone with the amps.  I'm trying harder to configure the amps for PK1, Grados and possibly another large headphone if the P4 really can drive something in the 250-300 ohm range...

With the iPhone, I like the IE8 with the NuForce Icon Mobile.

Later I'll have more info for you... 

Quote:
Hey CEE TEE, since you have the IE8s, can you give some impressions of the P4>IE8 combo? I've been looking for a good amp for the IE8s, and tried the D4 which was awesome. Would be interested to know how well the P4 fares.

Nov 18, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #81 of 561
Now I have to read "Opamps for Everyone?"

And learn about opamps which keep turning into "pampas" with spell correct when I search.

These things are small but I can read them just well enough without magnification. Looks like the P4 did come stock at 10.5 dB gain...

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #82 of 561
Yeah, it depends largely on the source. With an iPod, my iBasso T3D was required to get a good sound, but with my Fuze it sounded just as good unamped. So I'm kinda looking for an amp that can significantly improve the SQ through a Fuze. The D4 is excellent, but since the P4 is newer I was considering it as well. Having swappable opamps is a great option to have :)

Quote:
@Darkchaser...I have a lot of new gear and will try to get it settled and get to know it so I can share something meaningful with you.

I didn't really get the amps for the IE8 as much as my other phones but I will try to do some comparisons and let you know if I hear any "improvements" to my ears.  But, these amps come with a lot of chips and I am new to testing them out.  I am trying to acclimate myself with the amps as stock first and with my different sources.   Plus, I have been spending more time with full-size Grados as of late.

Which source are you using?

I love the IE8 straight out of the Sony X.  After I get the X LOD I'll try the IE8 and each phone with the amps.  I'm trying harder to configure the amps for PK1, Grados and possibly another large headphone if the P4 really can drive something in the 250-300 ohm range...

With the iPhone, I like the IE8 with the NuForce Icon Mobile.

Later I'll have more info for you... 

Quote:

Nov 18, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #83 of 561

Quote:
.... The D4 is excellent, but since the P4 is newer I was considering it as well. Having swappable opamps is a great option to have :)

This is my dilemma too but I also like the DAC ability on the D4 so I am really confused.

Nov 18, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #84 of 561
^Rayzilla...you might want to hold on until more reports come in and more rolling is done on the amps.  It is nice to have the DAC and the optical input on the D12 vs. the P4.

I got the P4 hoping it would be so much more powerful than the D12 that it could really drive bigger phones.  

Maybe when I roll opamps, it will seem much more powerful than the D12- but it doesn't seem that much more powerful yet (as I hoped the specs would suggest).

I am going to study and play with the P4 but I may just do what HeadphoneAddict has suggested all along:  buy a desktop amp for larger phones.  They could use the power (voltage/current and enough swing/headroom).  And an okay desktop amp is about the same price as the P4 (where I am sacrificing power for portability which may be redundant since I have the D12).  Why am I resisting?

Also, I have been told I should concentrate on getting better large phones first anyway.  

I'll be listening to some desktop amps this weekend.

I may keep only the D12 DAC/Amp and use as my:
  • portable amp
  • my portable DAC/amp
  • my Standalone DAC> optically out of Mac at home> tube desktop amp.

I really love the D12 so far and love music optically out of my Mac.  I will be trying HiFlight's TopKit (probably this weekend).

My plan was to try to have this "mini-stack stereo system" of:   Source>D12>P4  that would take the place of a "life-sized" set-up.  

Nov 19, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #87 of 561
Excellent images. 

Nov 19, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #88 of 561
Anyone have any idea how the P4 compares with the erstwhile P3+ ?

Nov 19, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #89 of 561

P4:  Internal lithium battery vs AAA cells, much easier to open for rolling opamps, Topkit LR module included in rolling kit.  SQ comparison depends upon LR/buffer/ground opamp choices for each.

Quote:
Anyone have any idea how the P4 compares with the erstwhile P3+ ?

Nov 19, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #90 of 561
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back