P4 the Warbler a new portable amp from iBasso . . first impression pg 3 . images Pg 6&7 . . .
Nov 5, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #46 of 561
Quote:

It is difficult, if not impossible, to compare the P4 to the D12, as the possible combinations of opamps that are available in the rolling kit will make significant differences in the SQ of the P4.

It will be possible to configure the P4 so as to sound nearly identical to the D10 Topkit, as iBasso has chosen to include the D10 Topkit L/R Class A module in the P4 rolling kit.   As I stated previously, iBasso has included a really fine selection of premium audio opamps in the supplied rolling kit.  The opamps in the kit will most certainly do justice to the quality of the P4 circuitry.

I think the choice between the D12 and P4 will boil down to whether or not one needs the optical, coax, and usb inputs of the D12 or would prefer the more customizable P4 and be limited to  Aux input only. 

For use with the more difficult-to-drive cans, or for those who choose to listen at head-banging volume levels, the P4 is probably the wiser choice.

Thanks for the reply Ron, looking forward to trying out the D12 Topkit.

The P4 amp + D12 DAC should rock most if not all the phones for sure.

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #47 of 561
Yes, the P4 is about as close to a quality desktop as any portable that I have heard.  

I spent most of the day today experimenting with the P4.   I will likely have a supplemental Topkit for it soon.  Using my balanced SA5000s with a SE adapter for comparisions, I have found one combination of opamps that delivers about the same SQ from both the D12 and P4.  I don't think I could reliably tell them apart in blind comparisons. 

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #48 of 561
600mW per channel..
What the F, has this ever been done on a portable amp of this size?
That's amazing. 

Nov 6, 2010 at 6:58 AM Post #49 of 561

600mW per channel..

What the F, has this ever been done on a portable amp of this size?

That's amazing. 

I don't think so...if it has, not like this...it's amazing the point were at here with the head-fi hobby.
When I first started this wild ride several years ago...I remember being amazed by a dozen amps that today would be paperweights, I didn't think things could get better. A big name, which shall remain nameless said you could never get as high quality amp as theirs in the 250 range...and I also at that time came across a tiny little company called ibasso and gave them a try as I couldn't afford the other amp...all I have to say is this little company is not only raising the bar but changing the game totally.

Can't wait for Rons topkit for the P4 as the one he put together for the D4 changed that amp from excellent to profound

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #50 of 561
Yes, you are getting into a nice voltage range and current. So now you are getting both from a portable and that is what will make this a very distinctive amp, for a while. ;^)

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #51 of 561
You are not kidding Jam!
I have never heard my Ultrasone 750s sound so full, the deepness and range of this amp out of the box is simply amazing

...Im streaming Pandora as I type via my DB1 Boomslang (using a nice DIY IC)...little OAR and Dispatch, lucky to get some live songs, was at a concert last night and feel like Im right there on stage, cant wait for this little gal to burn in!!! 

Nov 6, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #52 of 561
Awesome.  Keep those impressions coming. 
popcorn.gif

Nov 7, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #53 of 561
Woo hoo, I got a package today. I am letting the Warbler warm but already very dynamic and clean. I have to go along with what HiFlight said earlier. 

The options for op amps is great to and to have all those included. 

Damn, this has to be the best amp they have produced. Guitar really sings. . Well more time to digest this but I can "hear" the drive capabilities of the amp. I want to try out the transistor boards that are supplied. It will be interesting to compare this to the fi.Q, which I find to be excellent. 

Nov 7, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #54 of 561
Can anybody comment on how this compares to the Minibox E+?  

Nov 7, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #55 of 561
The Warbler is just out so I don't imagine it is in too many hands as of yet. 

Now the amp is going through some growing pains. The bass is bloated, like a once a month thing, and a bit to punchy in the upper mids. I need to go do something else any so I will let it play on without me. :^)

Nov 7, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #57 of 561

Quote:
Isn't 4 channel used for balanced inputs?

No, it is the grounding technique that this alludes to. Many times in 4 channel you can get some DC but if done right it can work very well. 

Nov 8, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #58 of 561

Quote:
Yes, the P4 is about as close to a quality desktop as any portable that I have heard.  

Ron, I value your opinion, but you know that the Lisa III has held that mantle for a considerable amount of time. To be fair, the latter is more 'transportable' than portable, and costs significantly more - it may be an unfair comparison on a gram-for-gram basis.

Nov 8, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #59 of 561
Price does not have anything to do with things here...
LISA was one of the only amps that could drive all cans, not the only one anymore...and the size of the P4 is much more attractive.
This little amp, and it IS tiny next to the LISAIII, sounds great out of the box, have to wait for more impressions as I spend time with her, with the option to roll OPAMPS is a no brainer here

This amp is extremely powerful...and its not just power, its powerful and refined with very little burn in, which says a lot.
The bass is very rich and deep out of the box, which says a lot to me too...another thing to note is the volume pot...they have used the highest quality components in this little amp and it shows...I havnt undressed her yet, just wanted to go on a few more dates first :wink:

Quote:

Ron, I value your opinion, but you know that the Lisa III has held that mantle for a considerable amount of time. To be fair, the latter is more 'transportable' than portable, and costs significantly more - it may be an unfair comparison on a gram-for-gram basis.

Nov 8, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #60 of 561

Quote:
..I havnt undressed her yet, just wanted to go on a few more dates first :wink:

It took me a minute. That was a good one. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back