Orthodynamic Roundup
Nov 9, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #22,156 of 27,141
Not exactly the same implementation, but using some SR-40 pads on the Realistic Pro30's and wow what a difference. Unsure if they are the same though.
if not it might be another option to look at. Very very comfortable.

EDIT:

I have no idea what great pads these are but they are NOT STOCK SR-40 PADS, just found that out comparing the SR-50 pads to these.

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #22,157 of 27,141
I removed the foam and the phones sound really good now. So right now I just got some open cell foam near the mounting strut, felt pad large enough to cover the sides of the cup and the original pice of open cell foam that used to be near the strut. In that order. Oh, and of course I sealed the plastic ring holding the whole assembly shut with a bead of plumber's putty. Now what do I do with the ear pads? I took them off carefully, so they are still intact. Do I just glue them back with some contact cement?

Nov 11, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #22,158 of 27,141
I would use a ring of some thin double sided tape to put the pads back but that's me..

Nov 11, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #22,160 of 27,141
Sure that will work out well.  You're lucky that the stock pads are in decent shape still.

Does that headband have any cracks in the thin vinyl straps that are  on either side of the suede section?  Only reason I mention that is that if they are still pristine, then from time to time  take a damp cloth and run it along those strips. That type of vinyl dries out over time in the wrong dry environments and can become brittle. Read that somewhere but I forget where exactly.  Mine is as good as new nice and flexible still.

Nov 12, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #22,161 of 27,141

Just a friendly reminder that cotton and many other natural materials can be subject to decomposing.

The above is some cotton rolls used as earplugs (BMF, you might like these type of cotton if those gauze are hard to find). Found these in the garage while looking for tools. They're really old, and you can see just by putting the cotton onto my bed sheet left a pretty nasty residue (and the picture was after I wiped it off a bit).

That said, I though the size would be pretty interesting for the T50RP so I halved the cotton in thickness and replaced the cotton I originally had inside. Reopened them just to see... Yikes, the interior of the T50RP is powdery white now. But I do kind of like the sound so I guess they will stay. Imagine using these as earplugs! You'll be cleaning your ears for a long time! That said, yes these are old; do not use old stuff like these as earplugs.

What surprised me more was the cotton I had originally put was also sticking to surfaces that aren't supposed to be sticky in the first place, and small bits were smudged here and there. These headphones did travel to hot and humid Asia with me in summer so that could only have made it worse.

In any case, just a friendly reminder to be careful even with cotton. The arctic bamboo over the driver paper saved mine from getting all clogged with cotton fibers. My hero!

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #22,162 of 27,141
Just a friendly reminder that cotton and many other natural materials can be subject to decomposing.

What surprised me more was the cotton I had originally put was also sticking to surfaces that aren't supposed to be sticky in the first place, and small bits were smudged here and there. These headphones did travel to hot and humid Asia with me in summer so that could only have made it worse.

In any case, just a friendly reminder to be careful even with cotton. The arctic bamboo over the driver paper saved mine from getting all clogged with cotton fibers. My hero!

What a revelation I didn't consider cotton could go funny that fast. I use none in this mod thankfully . Phew.  I guess that helps to use something synthetic in the future then. Which is probably why there's all these fancy synthetic speaker treatments. ( wonder what happens to wool )

Arctic Bamboo to the rescue!  Booyaw!

Thanks for checking in on that it is a pretty important thing.

You posting this warning up in the other big "impostor" thread?

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #22,163 of 27,141

A quick search around the scientific internet gives a number of studies, for instance the one there: http://nora.nerc.ac.uk/5048/1/N005048CP.pdf. They found the rotting rate for strips of cotton embedded into soil to have depended heavily on temperature and moisture.

Also, I bring up my earlier experiments to mod onto orthos a mylar moisture guard, which no one thought was useful.

Nov 12, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #22,164 of 27,141
Nah I didn't post this anywhere else. The main reason being my dubious cotton sources to begin with. I'll post pictures of how my cups interior are just smeared with cotton dust now; kind of need to remove a bit more since it seems I over damped things a bit.

On the dubious cotton source:
-These earplug stuff must be over 15yrs old and been sitting in the garage, the least conditioned space of the house. Packaging was far from being air and humidity right either.
-The other cotton source I originally used is cotton used to apply hydrogen peroxide (?) to injuries and stuff. Basically from a first aid kit. Not sure how long we've owned this stuff, but it wasn't originally stored in the garage.

In either case, I think those cheese cloth cover idea for filler materials might be good practice after all, not just for fiberglass and rock wool.

Wool might be more resistant. At least the treated ones are.

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #22,165 of 27,141

I did not remove the cotton yet for your viewing pleasure, but notice the original cotton that stuck to the circuit board/sheet, and the flaky cotton rip-a-piece-for-earplug that left the bottom screw area covered in snow. Or dandruff.

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #22,166 of 27,141
Thank you for pictures. What configuration are you using on the driver rears? One layer or two?

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #22,167 of 27,141
The arctic bamboo? I think it's one layer of arctic bamboo and one layer of arctic cotton (was that the name?) or something of the sort; it's two layers hence quickly sown together to prevent slippage.

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #22,168 of 27,141
Anyone familiar with TECHNICS EAH-T7?

Is it worth buying for 170 bucks? I think that the price is to high, but who knows....

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #22,169 of 27,141
  Anyone familiar with TECHNICS EAH-T7?

Is it worth buying for 170 bucks? I think that the price is to high, but who knows....

It's a rarer one, not many examples exist. Some of the low end Technics are bad but this was not low end. It could be a stinker or it could sound wonderful, there's no telling. 

If you're willing to chance it for the sake of the ortho thread, then by all means please do try it. Someone has to be the first to discover something.
tongue.gif

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #22,170 of 27,141
I've had couple of orthos.. Yamahas and a Telefunken TH700 which i sold here /

I think that the price is waay to high... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back