Orthodynamic Roundup
Jul 3, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #21,841 of 27,137
Quote:
Not as exciting as Kabeer's find but...

Too bad the left side's rotation stopper got snapped. It's a dark green unit too 
biggrin.gif

I have nick to thank for spotting these for me.
beerchug.gif

I think this is cool! Im guessing the early lot of multicoloured HP2 (thats a HP2 right?) released in Japan likely had square holed drivers.

Jul 4, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #21,843 of 27,137
Quote:

It's a dark green unit too 
biggrin.gif

I have nick to thank for spotting these for me.
beerchug.gif

I'm very glad you got these things they needed to go to a worthy home. Was worried you would not.
They were sitting listed in the wrong section for months. Very hard to tell in the pictures about the colour also, but i think it might be one of the few green ones in here at least, and the bonus hole shape. Most excellent.
That colour is awesome.
 Hope they can pull out all the good stuff like the square holed HP-50A, probably going to be better I bet.
Congratulations again.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 4, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #21,844 of 27,137
Maybe keep scrapping the sticky adhesive to see if there are screws hidden in that frame around the driver. Thats the where the screws are hidden on all the ATH electrets. With a popsicle stick or some other soft wood poker you could push all that black tar like adhesive without scratching the plastic. Hopefully there is some sort of screw fasteners there to open up the cups for you. Very curious about the dampening scheme and how truly vented the backs of those cups are.  
Quote:

I cant figure out how to open it, and dont want to be too rough since its so rare. No screws visible on the baffle. It doesnt seem to turn open. Im guessing possibly there is a screw behind the badge, but unsure. Would like to see whats inside the cups and a better view of this unique driver.

A very interesting can that was the only can in it's range :).

Jul 4, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #21,845 of 27,137
BTW after AT releasing dynamic phones using a vintage ortho shell, yamie is now going back to the vintage silver look for their stereo amps: http://www.johnlewis.com/yamaha-a-s300-amplifier-silver/p231332218

I wonder how the phone out would do with orthos?
tongue.gif

Jul 4, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #21,846 of 27,137
I like the look. I wonder what that "pure direct" button is for... a bypass for the tone controls?

Jul 4, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #21,847 of 27,137
Quote:
BTW after AT releasing dynamic phones using a vintage ortho shell, yamie is now going back to the vintage silver look for their stereo amps: http://www.johnlewis.com/yamaha-a-s300-amplifier-silver/p231332218

I wonder how the phone out would do with orthos?
tongue.gif

Nice, seriously nice looking. Especially the adjustment "knobs"
Thanks for the post leeperry. More temptation.
At first I misread your post and thought you said Yamaha was releasing dynamic phones in a retro shell and nearly panicked.

I would say probably yeah to that being Tone Bypass. And also just noticed all the inputs...

Jul 6, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #21,848 of 27,137
My rediscovering of the YH-100:

It was 5 years ago when I purchased my YH-100s off craigslist for $20. From the get go, I was impressed, but I strove for more. I recabled, I dampened, I rehoused. In the end, the drivers and housings and all that work went into a little box, never to be seen again for 3 years. I forgot about the magic, and the power...

As I cleaned up my apartment today, I dug through piles and boxes, frantically trying to find space for the years of accumulation of junk. I found the YH-100s, in pieces, pads flattened and crumbling, cables twisted. So, in typical head-fi fashion, I decided to put some tender lovin' care into doing a quick restoration.

After about 20 minutes, I jack in. Game over man, game over. My ears rattled with that deep resonating bass and I'm assaulted with that mid-high range brightness. As a whole experience, I've yet to own a headphone that beats this. The YH-100 may not have the "sparkle" or impact or resolution of other headphones, but at the holistic level, I've yet to find a better companion in my aural journeys.

I'm glad to have them back.

Jul 8, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #21,849 of 27,137
Hm.. these square holed HP2 are pretty interesting.
I decided not to rely on my mic for FR measurement, and just go by the ear out of pure enjoyment.
After screwing up totally the size and shape (a little oval so doesn't cover whole cup bottom) of the replacement foam, I found out that whatever damping layer had adverse effect to the sound balance. The stock w/ replaced foam was the ideal damping for now.

Seeing the space around the drivers, above the black felt, was pretty empty, I tried putting either cotton or angel hair. I already found out from a past transplant (HP-2 drivers in an open back frame) that in enclosures where there isn't tremendous space behind the drivers, putting stuff around the drivers does have pretty significant effects on the sound. Not so much the case when you have large cup cavity to play with. I've also somewhat concluded that in normal damping situations, the cotton I have would muddy the bass a little but increase treble a little; angel hair would decrease treble and increase bass.

To my surprise, the effects when wrapping around the drivers is the opposite: cotton tightens bass yet doesn't really affect treble at all; and angel hair decreases the bass (and muddies it) while increasing treble. Not sure if I'm just crazy...
Now the dilemma how to get the best of both worlds.

Not that the stock form needs more treble (surprisingly), but there is just a little bit more extension with the angel hair.

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #21,852 of 27,137
Revisiting the HOK 80-1 since an unconventional cotton + string + EQ mod was put upon them some months back. They sound damn nice. Not the best in the world, but surprisingly detailed, effortless, and curiously ethereal somehow. Nothing like the aural mess they were stock.

A picture of the mod would scar everyone for life, but the camera's out.

Jul 13, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #21,853 of 27,137
Quote:
Revisiting the HOK 80-1 .
They sound damn nice.
Not the best in the world, but surprisingly detailed, effortless, and curiously ethereal somehow.
Nothing like the aural mess they were stock.

bingo!  What a great description I agree and really like what i highlighted in bold. Makes perfect sense to me...

Jul 13, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #21,854 of 27,137
Quote:

This is a very nice headphone, easiest the most comfortable Yamaha with this size driver. Listening to mine right now, the brown/burgundy version. They sound very fine but are more difficult to damp than the HP50/HP3 (same type of driver). My first try turned out overdamped (too bright), the second a bit underdamped. Next time...

Now we're only waiting for someone to find the cream one.

Jul 13, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #21,855 of 27,137
Quote:
A picture of the mod would scar everyone for life, but the camera's out.

Driver's sandwiched between two thick layers of cotton wool held in place by a string wound tightly in a sloppy manner around the whole thing. Additional cotton wool inside the cups does whatever it is it does.

One might intuit that this mod would worsen the sound - but one would be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back