Orthodynamic Roundup
Jun 12, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #21,751 of 27,137
Great Sony transplant there.

and dBel never seen that thin foam used on top against the driver, seems like it works well though!

I've always chucked that adhesive-backed version of that exact foam directly into rears without mush success as an extra bit of added damping, then hit up the felties on the driver itself. very interesting thanks.
 I assume it adds to the top end  and a bit of sub bass?
Have you tried punching holes in it at all in various sizes or locations?

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #21,752 of 27,137
Quote:
pictures are worth a thousand words. :) 

hope that is clearer now than before. 

..dB

Loud and clear, and thank you sincerely for posting these pictures!
Gotta try this out when I get home.
beerchug.gif

Jun 13, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #21,753 of 27,137
I'd be interested in your thoughts. The felt layer dictates how much of the midrange is pulled in, the more dense the further back the mids are in the presentation. start with something that is reasonably dense but not extreme. ( moorbrook is too dense if that makes sense to you ) 

@ nick. Not tried punching holes in the creatology , it does exactly as you say but also seems to smooth it all out. I have always felt that you can improve on the stock HP1 marginally , but this is a different league. 

..dB

Jun 13, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #21,754 of 27,137
Thanks. Sadly the memory foam i had was simply too fat for the cavity and it needs to be used in conjunction with one or two other things to pull it's magic.

Will try to make it by and grab some of the foam but non-adhesive. Got the thicker stuff but not this thin.

So judging by the pics there, the felt damps the side vents at the lower parts, then the foam damps the top half of the venting? The way it is laid out in the pics anyhow.

Has there been trials with the felt as it is but larger so it rides up the sides more and the foam secures it in? That little difference could change things somehow. Especially if everything was very precisely snug

Anyhow thanks .

Jun 13, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #21,756 of 27,137
Quote:
This is my Hp-3 and it sound not good at all. In stock form it sound dull, soundstage is narrow, more than average bass quantity but does not reach deep, it's much worse than a stock Hp-1. i tried to add a little cotton in the cavity behind the stock foam and another layer of 0.5mm dense felt in front of stock foam, now it sound clearer but still worse.

A disc of loosely-knit wool fabric between the front baffle and the front of the driver (i.e. between the driver and the baffle grille facing the ear) works well for my HP-50S - a slight increase to the soundstage, kills a few treble spikes, and hurries the decay giving a more responsive sound. At the back of the driver, I use a disc of dual-layered nylon cloth rather than felt. It took a lot of effort to make the HP-50 sound good, may be the same with your HP-3.

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #21,757 of 27,137
Quote:
pictures are worth a thousand words. :) Luckily our pal Sachu has been buying up the last few YH/HP1's and this pair was pristine ( best condition I have seen yet ) 

hope that is clearer now than before. 

..dB

thank you dear saint, it really clears up a thing or two.

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #21,758 of 27,137
Quote:
If the moorbrook is too dense, then you guys might want to try Nick's 'Arctic Bamboo' felt which doesn't do much damping but should be appropriate here . Also, you guys might want to try some thin chamois instead of felt.

How's your supply of that, I'm just a PM away if you need more.
wink_face.gif

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #21,761 of 27,137
Something else arrived today, the dynamic next of kin to the Russian TDS-16, though both models of the TDS-16 were  Echo and this TDS-17 is Amfiton.

I got these to do a recable on some TDS-16, someone used some massive wiring that was a real pain to place into a REAN TRS jack, it ended up too short. Since these have always intriugued me and the cable is identical including plug and strain reliefs to the Amfiton TDS-15's ( at least the models with the concentric squares logo not the scrolly figure "A" logo ) this will have to do for the Echo TDS-16 recable.

At least it is the military grade copper for what that's worth, and of same time period. Why not. The plug end is odd seems stereo but the spacer looks metal there, will find out when i open them up and i should test that soon. Worst case there the plug end simply needs replacing with a fancy right angle black Neutrik one

Have to say though upon initial listening I sort of don't want to ruin them now.  Very high impedance the included manual says 100 ohm, I measured roughly 46 on each channel. From what I can tell sensitivity is 98 on these. Rather really decent sounding. I wonder what they would be like with some smaller HT-21 pads and a tiny baffle mod.

So that's why i posted the pictures here in case anyone wants a cheapo recable to take theirs back to stock on one of their Amfitons.
Give me these over a Grado any day.
wink_face.gif

Hmmm what to do... I know order another one!

DAVID CLARK PADS:there's been some posts using the Beyer gel pads ( round ), you'd have to search. White with a clear top.

The David Clark ones will need to be flush mounted I don't think there's a flap around the edges to hold them on, which would mean scraping off the stock baffle felt that is adhered to the face of the baffles so the bond is perfect.

Surprisingly they have nearly the same inner opening dimensions as the stock pads!

Here is one of the Air Pillow types from a David Clark headset, grungy since they are a possible project not cleaned up yet.
I assume they would be similar to the gels in size though no idea for sure %100.
Side by side and overlaid for comparison.

Jun 15, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #21,762 of 27,137
Quote:
Something else arrived today, the dynamic next of kin to the Russian TDS-16, though both models of the TDS-16 were  Echo and this TDS-17 is Amfiton.

I got these to do a recable on some TDS-16, someone used some massive wiring that was a real pain to place into a REAN TRS jack, it ended up too short. Since these have always intriugued me and the cable is identical including plug and strain reliefs to the Amfiton TDS-15's ( at least the models with the concentric squares logo not the scrolly figure "A" logo ) this will have to do for the Echo TDS-16 recable.

At least it is the military grade copper for what that's worth, and of same time period. Why not. The plug end is odd seems stereo but the spacer looks metal there, will find out when i open them up and i should test that soon. Worst case there the plug end simply needs replacing with a fancy right angle black Neutrik one

Have to say though upon initial listening I sort of don't want to ruin them now.  Very high impedance the included manual says 100 ohm, I measured roughly 46 on each channel. From what I can tell sensitivity is 98 on these. Rather really decent sounding. I wonder what they would be like with some smaller HT-21 pads and a tiny baffle mod.

So that's why i posted the pictures here in case anyone wants a cheapo recable to take theirs back to stock on one of their Amfitons.
wink_face.gif

DAVID CLARK PADS:there's been some posts using the Beyer gel pads ( round ), you'd have to search. White with a clear top.

The David Clark ones will need to be flush mounted I don't think there's a flap around the edges to hold them on, which would mean scraping off the stock baffle felt that is adhered to the face of the baffles so the bond is perfect.

Surprisingly they have nearly the same inner opening dimensions as the stock pads!

Here is one of the Air Pillow types from a David Clark headset, grungy since they are a possible project not cleaned up yet.
I assume they would be similar to the gels in size though no idea for sure %100.

What are you paying for those Dave Clark pads? I seem to recall his stuff being overly pricey.

Jun 17, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #21,763 of 27,137
Quote:

wink_face.gif

thank you soo much for the pictures nick. i looked around everywhere for the beyer gel pads but they aren't available anywhere. WHY did they have to stop manufacturing these!! 
angry_face.gif
. Now ill have to figure out a way to make the DC pads fit. They should provide more seal than the shure 840 pads, right?

Jun 17, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #21,764 of 27,137
Funny enough there is a post on the Beyerdynamic Gel pads near the top of the first full sized page and they mentioned  B&H, so I looked and what do you know
beerchug.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/668341/bayerdynamic-clear-gel-pads#post_9532211

buy them here. says back-ordered but hopefully they will get some
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=beyerdynamic+gel&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

I would think that they would have a better seal than Shure pads, though probably heat buildup will make them sweaty at times or if using for long periods. No big deal though just take a break here and there.
Sennheiser also has some Gel pads Will take pictures tomorrow for that.http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/2425

and a pile of other things no idea about dimensions though.http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/tag/ear%20seals

Hutnicks were you asking me about David Clark pads? If so these air pillow versions are not worth using on much, and they were from a free headset.

Jun 18, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #21,765 of 27,137
I remember trying to Beyer gel pads once (I think at the local Long & McQuades ages ago). It's a bit of an odd feeling, and slightly claustrophobic. I'm not entirely sure if the pad is a single material, or if it's a gel inside a soft rubbery/silicon shell. Either way: it seals very well, almost sticky feeling, definitely hotter/sweatier, and definitely improves isolation. 

If you're curious how it feels, try this: mix a small batch of 1 tbsp gelatin and 1.5 tbsp milk in a small glass bowl, microwave for about 10-15 seconds, let it sit for an hour or two until it congeals. Slap that on your face. It's not sticky or slimy per se, but the texture will make it adhere. (For those curious, this is a home-made face mask for pore cleansing that actually works quite well. Spread a thin-ish layer on your face while still warm, wait 20 minutes for it to dry until you can't move your face and it feels like the mask will explode (trust me, you'll know), then peel it off)

Of interest, Comply also seems to have an earpad in the works... http://www.complyfoam.com/new-comply-premium-headphone-pads/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back