Orthodynamic Roundup
May 17, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #21,616 of 27,138
Quote:
And the final cost of the new-in-box Yamaha YH-5m Orthodynamic IEM comes in at $1096.14.

These collectors are bat**** insane, I'm telling you. 

I wonder if it's anyone we know on head-fi
wink.gif

May 17, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #21,619 of 27,138
Quote:
mint in box yamies always sell well because they've gotten so rare: http://www.ebay.com/itm/180795679909 so $1K for a NOS-in-box YH5m sounds very reasonable.

Not when the YH-5m is really, really bad... 

May 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #21,620 of 27,138
I've done a little critical listening to my new (to me) HP-1's (no mods), and doing comparisons to the only other headphone I currently have, Audio-Technica ATH-M50.

Rig is FLAC -> Foobar2k -> Schiit Gungnir -> Asgard II 

The most dramatic thing I've noticed so far is the contrast between the ATH-M50's and the HP-1 on bass-centric music.  Kodo's O'Daiko piece is quite the muddy mess on the ATH-M50.  The HP-1 bring out the subtle timber and presents enough overall separation that one can discern that "hey, these are Taiko drums!"  The M50's?  Just a muddy mess.... :frowning2:

Even given that, it seems like the yammies could do a bit better.  I'm considering an upgrade to Mjolnir.  Anyone have experience with Asgard II Vs Mjolnir with high impedence orthos?

Sorry for the newb questions....  Appreciate the help!

May 18, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #21,622 of 27,138
Some years ago, mint YH-5M was sold at japanese yahoo auction, and the final bit was also over $1000.
Because, one japanese YH-5M blogger wrote YH-5M sounds totally well.
But I don't think so.
I have HP-1, YH-100, HP-1000(already sold..), YHD-1, HP-50S, and YH-5M.
I think YH-5M sounds worst among them, and HP-1 is the best.

May 18, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #21,623 of 27,138
Quote:
And the final cost of the new-in-box Yamaha YH-5m Orthodynamic IEM comes in at $1096.14.

These collectors are bat**** insane, I'm telling you. 

Its as id expect, that looks NOS, and until now iv never seen a NOS yh5m, and they are already rare at that. And a very interesting art-type headphone. Even my non NOS set without box cost me a lot

May 18, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #21,624 of 27,138
It triggers the collector reflex in me. Thankfully, my need to make my mortgage payments overrides (just barely) my desire to collect cool shiny things.

May 18, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #21,625 of 27,138
Quote:
It triggers the collector reflex in me. Thankfully, my need to make my mortgage payments overrides (just barely) my desire to collect cool shiny things.

Triggers the Knockoff reflex in me:) Surprised someone has not counterfitted them with that kind of pricing.

May 19, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #21,626 of 27,138
Quote:
^ I'm not sure what your point is, but if it was to question what I've done, the decency would be welcome to put more effort into it, since you admit to not know what it is I do.

I think it's an interesting cul-de-sac of research with no useful end, for my purposes anyway. 

I view the majority of headphones as mechanically broken, and one of the neat things about orthos is that i can fix them mechanically. 

I'll allow that altering the signal can probably work too but really i am just bemoaning the state of this venerated old thread. 

Anyone calling a stock yh-100 "special" needs their hearing tested. A stock yh-100 sounds like a small battery powered AM radio with a hole punched in the speaker cone. 

So, well, it's not you I'm deriding. 

If someone comes up with a convolver for rockbox, let me know. It might be interesting. 

May 19, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #21,627 of 27,138
Quote:
I think it's an interesting cul-de-sac of research with no useful end, for my purposes anyway. 

I view the majority of headphones as mechanically broken, and one of the neat things about orthos is that i can fix them mechanically. 

I'll allow that altering the signal can probably work too but really i am just bemoaning the state of this venerated old thread. 

But I don't understand your reasoning. Is it to say that trying to come up with new methods of improvement for these phones is bad? Maybe you're being very conservative; a feltist, if you will?

Convolution certainly stands as a useful means to improve the sound for anyone's purposes. Think perfect channel balance without asymmetric modding, though even then you're limiting yourself to a very modest use of the technique.

May 19, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #21,628 of 27,138
Quote:

Anyone calling a stock yh-100 "special" needs their hearing tested. A stock yh-100 sounds like a small battery powered AM radio with a hole punched in the speaker cone. 

So, well, it's not you I'm deriding. 

If someone comes up with a convolver for rockbox, let me know. It might be interesting. 

Well at 21000 plus posts, one might have thought it would have been split into the old and new thread long ago. The ability to print it so you could index and search it locally or convert to a pdf would have been helpful as well.

May 19, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #21,629 of 27,138
Quote:

I got the best results with my stock yh-100 through a headphone jack on a 1994 JVC cd player: xl106... can't remember the exact model. Though I think you're smoking crack on most of this sentence, because people listen for different ranges of music and it's stupid for a headphone to try to please everyone. My opinion is that I was getting a very realistic sound from them, especially from piano and classical music. I also felt that they sound like a 3-way speaker in the way that they handle multiple sounds at once, versus some others that sounded like a 2-way at best. Maybe my pair was optimal to yours, or maybe you were getting too technical for them with $2k amps and DACs. I agree that they are not perfect, but they are special compared to other stuff in their price range. Don't feel sorry for me and my simple ways, because I won't feel sorry for you and your snobbish opinion.

May 19, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #21,630 of 27,138
Quote:
I've done a little critical listening to my new (to me) HP-1's (no mods), and doing comparisons to the only other headphone I currently have, Audio-Technica ATH-M50.

Rig is FLAC -> Foobar2k -> Schiit Gungnir -> Asgard II 

The most dramatic thing I've noticed so far is the contrast between the ATH-M50's and the HP-1 on bass-centric music.  Kodo's O'Daiko piece is quite the muddy mess on the ATH-M50.  The HP-1 bring out the subtle timber and presents enough overall separation that one can discern that "hey, these are Taiko drums!"  The M50's?  Just a muddy mess.... :frowning2:

Even given that, it seems like the yammies could do a bit better.  I'm considering an upgrade to Mjolnir.  Anyone have experience with Asgard II Vs Mjolnir with high impedence orthos?

Sorry for the newb questions....  Appreciate the help!

Careful. Mjolnir is strictly balanced only. You'd need to have the YH-1s recabled for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back