Orthodynamic Roundup
Jan 4, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #20,941 of 27,138
Quote:
!! a YH-1000 on ebay right now...! crazy, I wonder how nkkuma1 manages to get all of these stuff.
Pretty much 99% sure it's the same person (same carpet!!! lol), and probably makes a bunch of money off his sales... but he does pack well and everything.

There's also a Wharfedale ID2, in case anyone is interested.

And, tell me I'm crazy for investing the possibility of a clip-on planar using SFI's.
Do 40mm clip-ons even exist, or is a 100% DIY job required?

Hasn't he been banned a whole bunch of times for flipping items?

Hmm would you be able to use a clip on with smaller driver but just machine out the baffle?

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #20,943 of 27,138
2.5 grand for a YH1k with a semi-busted driver, the guy has high hopes ^^

very nice, but if you have a large head this is a no-go.

Hasn't he been banned a whole bunch of times for flipping items?

Hmm would you be able to use a clip on with smaller driver but just machine out the baffle?

Flipping items?
In any case the FS forum on head-Fi isn't for profit making (or at least make it subtle?) and I was guessing that was the problem with him. And yeah 2.5k...

@leeperry:
Good to know thanks :)
You had an OEM of this before, right? And maybe that model too.

@Armaegis:
Well the cups might not be made to fit that size, I don't know. The baffle for sure has to be reworked. I might try it out if I find any cheapie I like. Though considering how thin stock clip ons are... Wonder if they will even clip on the ears.

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #20,944 of 27,138
Quote:
You had an OEM of this before, right? And maybe that model too.

I indeed previously owned the ID1 and "Leak 3K" OEM ID2, none of these would fit my head at all and I could never get a good seal(or any seal at all for that matter
ph34r.gif
)....to give you an idea I pretty max out the stock HP1/YH1 headband.

Quite frankly, my most comfy phone was the cd1k/cd3k with its stock earpads(and I completely maxed out its headband).....but these genuine earpads aren't available anymore and the ebay cheapies are too thick and stiff for me to get a good seal. I personally really enjoy the comfort and light weight of the YH1
happy_face1.gif

I really can't imagine using a +600g phone such as the LCD2..

BTW, this listing cracked me up: http://www.leboncoin.fr/image_son/411478405.htm

Designed by Bellini! 

It's even got a HP out on the left side: http://my.reset.jp/~inu/ProductsDataBase/Products/YAMAHA/TC-800/TC-800-02.jpg

And I would guess that this the man himself in action: http://knisi2001.web.fc2.com/tc-800gl.html

I didn't dare asking for a quote, but I could easily picture myself cannibalizing it and sneakily installing a nice USB DAC in it..Oh hell, I'll ask him how much he wants for it 
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #20,945 of 27,138
Hah! I'd get them (if affordable)! But I'd be stuck listening to oldies non-stop, which means no occasional change in genres.

I'm actually practically at the smallest setting on the HP/YH-1 :S I'd make a shorter headband still but that would only make the metal headband even higher extending off my head.

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #20,946 of 27,138
Started a project with my last pair of SFI's. It was either something more realistic, or try and recreate and 3D print some failure of a YH-5M clone that would fit SFI's... cause they look awesome (maybe not to everyone, but to me, they remind me of this in a crazy way, and I love this mech from the Armored Cored series!!)
Anyhow, current test shell is so hard to work with, and there's SO MUCH TREBLE!! So much details but so much ear hurt. I bet my uncle would love this.

Gotta try damping this down. If I can figure it out :S

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #20,947 of 27,138
Quote:

VID it's just something strange with me, I told myself I would never buy a pair of Sennheisers, Ever. Just one of those things.
rolleyes.gif

Maybe i was lying to myself though

Hope someone here (i.e. mod-minded) got the ones for $20 or so. Even without a power supply that's a pretty good deal.

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #20,948 of 27,138
I came across a blog that describes how to mod "cheaper" headphone using Orthodynamic drivers to sound similar to more expensive headphones.
I have been looking for the SFI 40mm Dipole Ribbon drivers there are some on eBay.de.  I have found these

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/drivers/ribbon.html

However it states 8 ohms and not the 32 ohms in the article.  Can these be used in place of the SFI ones?
They are suppose to be ribbon tweeters also.

I intend to use them in a Sony MDR-XD200 headphone.

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #20,949 of 27,138
Those are also SFI tweeters, but they're not capable of being full range like the dipole (aka "bipole") 32 and 120 ohm drivers Kalbee is talking about. In the style of SFI you're after, the back magnet has holes in it just like the front magnet, and you can see in that article's exploded diagram that the back magnet is solid. That's bad for you, good for being a tweeter. Since you're in Canada too, maybe our Canadian SFI-havers can suggest a source for you. I have a feeling getting hold of a pair of suitable SFIs is going to mostly require luck.

Jan 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #20,950 of 27,138
Quote:
http://www.t-linespeakers.org/drivers/ribbon.html  
However it states 8 ohms and not the 32 ohms in the article.  Can these be used in place of the SFI ones?

If you like to do some extra work you can make one dipol out of two tweeters: take the magnet with the holes from one and put it into the other one instead of the solid magnet. I have done it and like the result very much - but there is the compromise, that the bass is much weaker than with the original sfi dipoles. The midrange and heights are georgeous this way.

Jan 8, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #20,951 of 27,138
Wualta, how did you know he's from Canada? o.o

I got mines thanks to bruma's help, though I don't know if that listing is still going on.

@habitat: I think I know what blog you're talking about, though I don't remember the site or name of the blog. What they say is vaguely true but does require a bit of work and tweaking. As for the MDR-XD200, I'll tell you that they might not be a very suitable candidate as fosterphones. Reason? simple: the parts are too loose and create a lot of sound. If you don't move too much though it might be okay. Putting the sound selector back in takes a bit of getting use to as well---you could otherwise leave it non-functional but it would certainly be fun to have that function on an ortho, knowing that planar magnetic drivers are much more sensitive to changes in it's environment.

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #20,952 of 27,138
Quote:
I have done it and like the result very much - but there is the compromise, that the bass is much weaker than with the original sfi dipoles. The midrange and heights are gorgeous this way.

Thanks for that description and information. Interesting that the bass drops off-- makes you wonder why they tensioned the diaphragms differently-- possibly to get more efficiency out of the monopole, since it was meant to be a more conventional tweeter. Maybe. Dunno.

Quote:
Wualta, how did you know he's from Canada? o.o

Ssh. Drones. Zero-point energy. Don't tell anyone.

Is the blog you're talking about this one: http://www.stacydevino.com/?p=18

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #20,953 of 27,138
Quote:
Thanks for that description and information. Interesting that the bass drops off-- makes you wonder why they tensioned the diaphragms differently-- possibly to get more efficiency out of the monopole, since it was meant to be a more conventional tweeter. Maybe. Dunno.

Ssh. Drones. Zero-point energy. Don't tell anyone.

Is the blog you're talking about this one: http://www.stacydevino.com/?p=18

Your secret is safe with me.

Yes, you nailed it. The one I saw before was a little different (background and all) but could have simply been the same page redesigned. The contents are one and the same.
Reading that blog again I just remembered dealextreme would be an interesting place to find myself fosterphones and... must... not... do... it...!!

Jan 9, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #20,954 of 27,138
A quick post to share a new damping scheme for the Yamaha HP-1 devised by my boss over the Christmas holydays. I tried his phones yesterday and had to listen to them all day, they sound very very good, while all my past experiences with HP-1s (these exact same ones included) were kind of meh.

The scheme is pretty simple: remove all the stock felt strips that dampen the vents; cut a large disc of some damping material (he used the Moorbrook wool/cashmere blend) and place it on the back of the cups, making sure it's large enough to cover the side vents; cut a large disc of kitchen aluminum foil and place it over the new damping; put the stock foams over the aluminum foil. From cup back to front: soft wool damping / alu foil / foam / driver. Basically, what he does is damp the side vents, and add a reflecting disc making sure some of the air waves can route around it and escape through the (damped) vents.

Sound is shocking, the HP-1 transform from a mid-centric phone to a deep bass-centric one. It's like having a perfectly damped and sensitive subwoofer that goes along admirably with the HP-1 mids without overpowering them. A minor downside is that trebles are not at the save level as all the rest: they are there, they are detailed, but they are slightly subdued and don't have the shine you can get from overdamping. But all the rest more than compensates for that.

Now I regret selling my HP-1 ages ago...

As for SFIs, if any of you need a quick good sounding project, I still have the files for making laser-cut baffles to fit the very cheap Sony MDR-ZX100, they should cost less than 5$ to have made from ponoko. Sony/SFI hybrids posts are here and here, and maybe in other place I could not find atm. And of course on the search engine, which got updated this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back