Orthodynamic Roundup
Oct 23, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #18,166 of 27,137
The maker of the Yamalux was, and still is, Nickchen, who named it Yamahalux.. extra syllables being the prerogative of the maker.

Yamlux doesn't show up in a LudoSearch®.

The Ortho Millennium Headphone (OMH), this mythical latter-day Pro 30 / YHD-3 that costs between $50 and $100 that uses a mass-produced 38mm driver that's somewhere between an SFI and a YHD, would probably be made by a company that's a cross between the old Yamaha and Head-Direct-- a large multi-product company that's highly diversified (and doing well) and can get its drivers made cheaply in China or Taiwan or Korea in big quantities, and market the headphone all over the world. If only things were that simple. Since the market could be considered to be saturated with dynamics, marketing is the key here, and it wouldn't be easy. An obsessive visionary executive on the order of Steve Jobs would likely be necessary. A lot of pieces would have to fall into place. So I'm not holding my breath. But it could happen, and should.

Oct 23, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #18,167 of 27,137

Quote:
 An obsessive visionary executive on the order of Steve Jobs would likely be necessary. A lot of pieces would have to fall into place. So I'm not holding my breath. But it could happen, and should.

Or just some big market share holder like Monster or Skullcandy.

Scoff all you want, but from a realistic point of view they would have a much better chance than some startup trying to release a midpriced product.

edit: actually V-Moda might be a decent candidate to lobby for. They're relatively new but do seem to be pushing the edge of their R&D.

Oct 23, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #18,168 of 27,137

Quote:
edit: actually V-Moda might be a decent candidate to lobby for. They're relatively new but do seem to be pushing the edge of their R&D.
Yeah V-Moda seem to be open to listening to customers opinions, and he seems approachable. If a decent case was set forth it may just percolate in his mind until it erupted out into the product you want to see.
Look at the build quality and originality of their products. That should show how serious they are and they can take a concept and see it  through to finalization. Compared to those it should be a bit easier. Or maybe they can do a quick retrofit of something, change some pads around, special damping.
 How can you tell I am dreaming out loud.
Waulta, you going to compose the initial business case and gumption and send it off into the turbulent ocean of headphones?

Oct 23, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #18,170 of 27,137
eek.gif

confused_face_2.gif

frown.gif
  oh noooooooooo. They were advertised as an ortho but they were scalped.... oh mannnnnnn and it looked like a great relatively unknown brand too. What a discovery. what a disappointment. I'm sorry I can't imagine what this feels like.
  Ebay purchase?

Oh the PAIN

DO keep the box and shell though. Let me know if you are wanting to get rid of that... You COULD try to locate some SFI drivers to put in it  at least then it would be true to description and may sound close to stock depending upon inside damping requirements if any.

Why does it say DYNAMIC along the bottom of the cups and why is there a hyphen between ortho and dynamic on the box, is that some wierd deceptive thing like electro-dynamic? They are obviously not stock though.

Damn.

I guess the often-overlooked lesson here for everyone is to ask for a picture of the inside of the earcup before buying.

So this brand is a major Retailer in the UK? I wonder what the OEM was for these and the time period?
Can you post the specs that are on the box maybe someone in here will have a direct replacement for the original drivers if it is Fostex or Yamaha or other. The exact specs may help narrow it down. ( hopefully there are some to post )
There weren't that many OEM as far as i know that could have made the drivers so it may be easier than you think.

Barring any decent specifications to post. if you get a chance to open them up and can see where the original drivers sat ( diameter and depth ), measure that part where they fit. That will narrow down the drivers even further.

Oct 23, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #18,171 of 27,137
Went to another kraut meet yesterday. Our diverse RP18 models got raved quite heavily there. I felt especially pity for a guy who spend almost 800€ for a AT W1000X last year and sees them becoming obsolete now. He just started howling when he heared about the NAD availability and the Audeze price tag...

Oct 23, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #18,172 of 27,137

Quote:
Yeah V-Moda seem to be open to listening to customers opinions, and he seems approachable. If a decent case was set forth it may just percolate in his mind until it erupted out into the product you want to see. Look at the build quality and originality of their products. That should show how serious they are and they can take a concept and see it  through to finalization. Compared to those it should be a bit easier. Or maybe they can do a quick retrofit of something, change some pads around, special damping.

I'm not at all familiar with V-Modo. I do think that if we go to these big meets and ask the magic question "Hey, looka all that love the Audeze boys are getting. .. When are you guys gonna come up with an ortho?" , it will create a people-who-know-people-who know-people who own the companies sort of enthusiasm circuit. Keep it going by talking it up and talking it up... tell anyone who'll listen, but be smart and try to get the enthusiasm passed along to a company guy.

Quote:

Ouch. Until now, I've never seen a box that said orthodynamic or even ortho-dynamic that didn't contain a real ortho. Thanks for posting that.
What we should do is create a new category on Wikiphonia called Not Orthos and put up photos of the Laskys, the Nakamichi SP-7, those Denons we thought might be orthoid, and such like.  

Quote:
Went to another kraut meet yesterday. Our diverse RP18 models got raved quite heavily there. I felt especially pity for a guy who spend almost 800€ for a AT W1000X last year and sees them becoming obsolete now. He just started howling when he heared about the NAD availability and the Audeze price tag...

Glad to hear there was a roomful of happy krauts enjoying the RP 18s! Photos, please, if you have them.

Oct 23, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #18,173 of 27,137

Quote:

Ouch. Until now, I've never seen a box that said orthodynamic or even ortho-dynamic that didn't contain a real ortho. Thanks for posting that.
What we should do is create a new category on Wikiphonia called Not Orthos and put up photos of the Laskys, the Nakamichi SP-7, those Denons we thought might be orthoid, and such like.  
In the meantime, the Laskys might make a good host for a 38 or 45mm ortho driver.

FOR SURE that thing had been transplanted from the original. Just look at the crappy cut job in the baffle there, it's all over the map. If you look at the label on the inner section of the cups it says ortho-dynamic too, just not on the outer plastic areas. OR it was one of those buy it/ pinch the drivers/ take it back to the store/ get money back type of thing back in the day.
Just my opinion.

Quick question:
As far as Russian headphone designations go, does anyone know what the TDS- # stands for? I noticed they are across the whole gamut of the Russian offerings. Does it stand for the factory? Or is it a short code for "headphone", or other

Oct 23, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #18,174 of 27,137
Quote:
So my Denon D2000 recently broke, and I've been looking into buying a pair of headphones for $200-250. I realized that rhythmdevils was selling a few vintage orthos, and I'm curious to hear what they sound like. 

Is it even possible to compare the sound of the Denon to, say the YH1000? Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you can replace the paper behind the driver go for the T20v2, they're awesome. Damp them a little harder, put a reflex dot on the back of the driver, and get some T50rp pads for them and they sound great!

Oct 24, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #18,176 of 27,137

Quote:

Good question. This is one for Faust2D, who has still a bit of Russia (well, Ukraine) left in him, or possibly Serge44, who has posted here but not recently and runs the Russian version of HF.

TDS is not for headphones surely. Headphones are 'naushniki' (pronounced more like nawooshneeky). Nor for factory I guess. Headphones and other consumer electronics at this side of the wall used to be named rather meaningless way... While all the factories were not independent we usually had central offices responsible for design (or copy like for TDS-5 :wink: ) and then when it was prepared and described a decision was taken (centrally) where to start the production (which factory). But still TDS might mean something :).

Oct 24, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #18,177 of 27,137

Quote:
Damn.

I guess the often-overlooked lesson here for everyone is to ask for a picture of the inside of the earcup before buying.

So this brand is a major Retailer in the UK? I wonder what the OEM was for these and the time period?
Can you post the specs that are on the box maybe someone in here will have a direct replacement for the original drivers if it is Fostex or Yamaha or other. The exact specs may help narrow it down. ( hopefully there are some to post )
There weren't that many OEM as far as i know that could have made the drivers so it may be easier than you think.

Barring any decent specifications to post. if you get a chance to open them up and can see where the original drivers sat ( diameter and depth ), measure that part where they fit. That will narrow down the drivers even further.

The box and headphone are genuine, allright. Apparently sold in June 1980 for £8.50. I paid £29.95. Beats me why it's marketed as an ortho, except if "orthodynamic" was the magic word during those years. Yamaha, PMB, Fostex...

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #18,178 of 27,137

Quote:
Glad to hear there was a roomful of happy krauts enjoying the RP 18s! Photos, please, if you have them.

Took only a few, most of them unsharp. Here's a pic of the poor W1000X guy A/B'ing with my buddy's Mylar. You see from that pic that team kraut easely covers 3 generations....

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #18,180 of 27,137
The modest outlay doesn't matter much, but it's annoying not to be remembered in the orthodynamic history records as the discoverer of the Laskys ortodynamic, the unknown species. Now I must accept the minor honour of having unearthed yet another ortho that wasn't.

I haven't opened the headphone, looks brand new and untampered with, not even any screw heads under the pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back