Orthodynamic Roundup
Oct 20, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #18,151 of 27,158
I'm not sure about them having the same drivers.  I've heard other folks say that too, but when i was playing with attaching Grado cups to the back of the T20v1 I tried it with the T20v2 (with the cups in my hands awkwardly since they are attached) and it sounded pretty different from the T20v1.  I guess it could be the slightly different curve of the baffle, but I find that hard to believe.  After a brief audition I decided that the v1 was a much better candidate for the Grado cups. 

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #18,152 of 27,158
I'm not saying the drivers are the same, just that they're from the same nuclear family. I've always said I thought the magnets in the v2 were stronger, but that's just a hunch. 

Come to think of it, an Ortho Pixie would probably have a hunch too.

Oct 21, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #18,153 of 27,158
My fundamental belief that Yamahas are vastly superior to anything else has just been shaken: I connected the t20v1 to my amp at work, and they actually sound incredibly good. Not only they are good, but they strangely manage to beat the hp50 on their own turf: the t20v1 are warmer and have a wider soundstage.

I'll let the radiators inside the HP50 warm up a bit then check again, but so far I'm shocked.

Edit: as for the t20v2, I had a pair and never liked them. But then again, I never found the right damping scheme for them either.

Edit: vocals on the HP50 are more natural, and there's more separation and a little more deep bass on the Yamahas; most other things the Fostex get right. The sound signatures of the two phones are *very* different.

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #18,154 of 27,158

Quote:
Guru, if you need anything from the US..let me know. Will be visiting home next month.

Thanks, will shoot you a pm if I need anything.

Quote:
Edit: vocals on the HP50 are more natural, and there's more separation and a little more deep bass on the Yamahas; most other things the Fostex get right. The sound signatures of the two phones are *very* different.

Agreed.

Oct 21, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #18,155 of 27,158
ludoo, you really need to try pads with a little space in them - my T20v1 gets more head time than my HP50 and is second only to the zebra wharfedales. 

I have been experimenting with the telefunken aka PMB and it is sounding exceedingly good. The biggest problem was comfort originally, I tried the O2 pads and it was very good but I only have one pair of these pads and they work so well with the T20 that I didn't want to mess with that. I then tried some cheapo pads from a jvc miked headset and it still sounds very good though not as comfy. I wouldn't be too concerned that the T20v1 is considered cheap - I think it is up there with the the tier 1's. 

..dB

Oct 21, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #18,156 of 27,158
Quote:
ludoo, you really need to try pads with a little space in them - my T20v1 gets more head time than my HP50 and is second only to the zebra wharfedales. 

I have been experimenting with the telefunken aka PMB and it is sounding exceedingly good. The biggest problem was comfort originally, I tried the O2 pads and it was very good but I only have one pair of these pads and they work so well with the T20 that I didn't want to mess with that. I then tried some cheapo pads from a jvc miked headset and it still sounds very good though not as comfy. I wouldn't be too concerned that the T20v1 is considered cheap - I think it is up there with the the tier 1's. 

..dB

Thanks Don, I will try to find a cheap pair of O2 pads, or something similar. It's partly your "fault" that I kept them and had a revelation on the road to Damascus today, as I remembered you writing that the t20v1 are one of your favourite orthos. Now I understand why, fantastic phones.

Oct 21, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #18,157 of 27,158

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...I connected the t20v1 to my amp at work, and they actually sound incredibly good. Not only they are good, but they strangely manage to beat the hp50 on their own turf: the t20v1 are warmer and have a wider soundstage.

This is the wellbeloved Yarmahar CA-400, correct? Those 'phones expected to be driven by something like that amp, and that amp expected 'phones to be just about like those 'phones-- there's no other way to say it. Even so, I continue to be surprised by the peals (squeals?) of glee I hear from the let's-use-old-receivers-to-drive-our-orthos thread. It's a kind of heaven to be surrounded by happy kids who've discovered some of one's own favorite toys and are pulling them out of closets all over the world to play with them again. It's kinda like Toy Story 3, ya know? One of those circle-of-life kinda things.

Oct 21, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #18,158 of 27,158
Quote:

This is the wellbeloved Yarmahar CA-400, correct? Those 'phones expected to be driven by something like that amp, and that amp expected 'phones to be just about like those 'phones-- there's no other way to say it. Even so, I continue to be surprised by the peals (squeals?) of glee I hear from the let's-use-old-receivers-to-drive-our-orthos thread. It's a kind of heaven to be surrounded by happy kids who've discovered some of one's own favorite toys and are pulling them out of closets all over the world to play with them again. It's kinda like Toy Story 3, ya know? One of those circle-of-life kinda things.

Erm no, the CA-400 is not in use as it has a bad hum, I will recap it if and when I find the time. And it would be too big to use at the office, anyway. My speaker amp is currently a lowly T-amp which sounds pretty good for its price and size. But I subscribe your views on vintage amps, as I do on vintage phones. :)

My headphone amp is a DIY "Super Simple 6DJ8" with good components and a good Russian NOS tube, more than powerful enough even for demanding orthos as I never even approach halfway on the volume pot.

Oct 21, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #18,159 of 27,158
hi guys!
it's been a long time since i last visited head-fi, but i see a lot of ye old salty dogs are still hanging out here in the ortho thread 
beerchug.gif

i must admit, after having started my "audiophile" career here in the ortho thread, i have completely turned to the dark side of speakers; but fear not, as i still have my pile of orthos and floats to keep me company, which is what brings me back here today.

i have been rotating my collection of orthos regularly the last few years, mostly using the t20v2 and amfiton, and now i have finally reached the point where i have totally worn out all my pads, so i was wondering if you guys have found any source of replacement pads for the regular orthos like the fostex t20v2, hp-50, etc?

also, has the prices and availability of old orthos changed after the emergence of audaze and hifiman?
i would still like to get hold of some of the old wharfdale and yamaha phones, but if prices are still as high as they were a few years ago i guess it can wait a few more years 
cool.gif

Oct 22, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #18,160 of 27,158
So my Denon D2000 recently broke, and I've been looking into buying a pair of headphones for $200-250. I realized that rhythmdevils was selling a few vintage orthos, and I'm curious to hear what they sound like. 

Is it even possible to compare the sound of the Denon to, say the YH1000? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Oct 22, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #18,161 of 27,158
Oct 23, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #18,162 of 27,158

Quote:
hi guys!

Hi Bjarne!

i see a lot of ye old salty dogs are still hanging out here in the ortho thread 

Arr, belay that bilge, sir. By my parrot, ye're a scurvy speakerlubber, that ye be.

i have completely turned to the dark side of speakers; but fear not, as i still have my pile of orthos and floats to keep me company...

Well, no worries, mate. Just get some isodynamic tweeters for those noiseboxes of yours. Or a nice dipole Heil AMT.

also, has the prices and availability of old orthos changed after the emergence of audaze and hifiman?

Somewhat. The rare ones are still rare. Some of the Yamas have moderated to ~reasonable levels. The SFIs have dried up. Thunderpants are now an industry unto themselves. Audeze just released LCD-3. It's not too crazy out there, but I'm still waiting for the millennium: a small YHD-3like $100 ortho. Tell me: am I being a moron?

Quote:

That IS a cool mod, very much in line with the openback designs I've always envisioned. More power to him.

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #18,163 of 27,158

Quote:
I'm still waiting for the millennium: a small YHD-3like $100 ortho. Tell me: am I being a moron?

It's not going to come from the player I see as the one who could most easily make and market something like that- HIFIman.  Fang told me at last years Bay Area meet that "there's no point in an ortho if it doesn't have a large driver and it's better to go electrodynamic".  HA.  He also said some other very... questionable things about some other...erm...planar headphones.  I can't see Audeze making a cheap simple ortho like that with the way their company seems to be setup, but maybe.  Schitt pulls off the quantity/low price thing well in America, but they also have put a lot of thought into making it work from the get go.  I also don't see Fostex making something like that, if they do get into an audiophile, well housed ortho I think they'd go hi-end because they already have a line of cheap orthos which they'd be directly competing against (and outperforming if they were well housed/damped)

So I kind of think it would need to be a new player.  But there's surely money to be made off of something like that because as we all know, the SQ potential is huge and the costs would be minimal with a smaller driver and simple metal/plastic frame. 

Oct 23, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #18,164 of 27,158
Does anyone have a Yamaha HP-1 or YH-1 frame they dont need any more? (even just the cups specifically if you have that).
Maybe from someone who transplanted the drivers elsewhere.

Need just the frame, no drivers.

Thanks!
edit:  found one thanks to eddiee

Oct 23, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #18,165 of 27,158
You can see a pic in my avatar, search the thread for "Yamlux" "Yamalux" and "Yamahalux" as there doesn't seem to be any final agreement on its name. For me it's the "Yamalux" - by any name it's a fantastic heapdhone 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back