Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 6, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #16,831 of 27,137
ssshhhhhhhhhh 
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #16,832 of 27,137
 i very much agree with nickchen in this...
NAD bassheavy once modded are superb, even in stock condition i dont heard too much difference (other the openess/airy&treble) between my NAD to LCD2...
i would say it's more than just 80% of LCD2, maybe the stock one does...
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #16,833 of 27,137

Quote:

You're right that metals will ring more than wood, and you're heading in the right direction by using compressed glued paper. In fact, how about investigating paper-filled phenolics like PaperStone, which folks in the Thunderpants thread are experimenting with. Dead as a doornail about sums up its sonic signature. It might give you some DIY inspiration.

Good heavens, yes, I hope your sisters can find it. A YH-100 is an excellent way to start the Ortho Journey. It's too bad they've become unobtainium or nearly so. It's the Yamaha equivalent of the NAD RP18 Kapton.

Yes, the more NADs in the hands of experimenters, the closer we'll be to getting at its potential. Let us know if you find the One Easy Thing that basically untilts the response curve.

PaperStone...  Mmmm.

Well, as many have just concurred, the biggest benefit to the RP18s is W11 pads.  They're just a PITA to use since they have a funny mounting lip that is very, very small.  My latest tuning adventures also gave me fantastic results and my pair are very bass heavy.  But the tuning really requires the nearly unobtanium 100% natural wool felt from Oz via Italy. 

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #16,834 of 27,137
The RP18 and LCD-2s are very different beasts.  After further mods I prefer my RP18s, but I like a little more forward mids that the RP18s deliver and the 18s highs are more pronounced too, not bright or sizzle like a Grado, but just more presence in the highs over the LCD-2s.  I don't really hear any major resonance peaks in the RP18s either, at least not in the three pair I've tuned. 

My only gripe with the RP18s is their headband.  It's not as punishing as a YH-3 or Fostex RP series, but it's definitely on the small and narrow side.  I have plans to rectify that...

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #16,835 of 27,137
Talking about RP18 pads, mine also have W11 pads. But taped DT770 are just as nice IMO - they provide better SS and a cleaner bass, but you also get a bit hotter treble. The differences are very minor though overall, and if you also put the prices into consideration, you end up with Beyers as the better choice IMO.

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #16,836 of 27,137

Quote:
The RP18 and LCD-2s are very different beasts.  After further mods I prefer my RP18s, but I like a little more forward mids that the RP18s deliver and the 18s highs are more pronounced too, not bright or sizzle like a Grado, but just more presence in the highs over the LCD-2s.  I don't really hear any major resonance peaks in the RP18s either, at least not in the three pair I've tuned. 

My only gripe with the RP18s is their headband.  It's not as punishing as a YH-3 or Fostex RP series, but it's definitely on the small and narrow side.  I have plans to rectify that...

I actually also prefer the LCD-1 to the RP18. But, the LCD-1 is special, being light and comfortable, while delivering a fantastic sound (slightly bass light though). Quite cheap as well, compared to the newer (and some old) orthos around.

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #16,837 of 27,137

Quote:
Talking about RP18 pads, mine also have W11 pads. But taped DT770 are just as nice IMO - they provide better SS and a cleaner bass, but you also get a bit hotter treble. The differences are very minor though overall, and if you also put the prices into consideration, you end up with Beyers as the better choice IMO.

I'm working on a suede/lambskin RP18 pad.  Trying to combine the best features of the Stax O2 pads and the AT W11 pads with a much larger mounting area so they can be taped on easily. 

Oh, iQEM, I sent additional materials to Questa with his RP18s.  So you might want to offer him some beverages of choice and sweet talk him a lot if you like the sound of his 18s.  There should be enough material to replicate the damping scheme. 

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #16,838 of 27,137
got it, Brian !
wink.gif
i will offer him some beverages of choice and sweet talk him a lot if i like how it sound, hopefully better than mine...
as before, i always be your biggest fans for damping schemes on YH100 Questa's..
hopefully his NAD mod ala BMF shocking me alot, like when i heard his YH100 BMF's mod...
too bad even i like his NAD + have additional materials from you, i still miss 1 or 2 item to replicate 100%...
yup, i'm still using the stock supraural pads & cable..i plan to try an eksperimen with Koss pads, MV1 to be exact...
still otw, purchase em from Koss sites, hopefully it bring more comfort & refine better than the stock one...
the W11jpn are too hard for me to buy/purchase, not to mention the price are not cheap (for me)... lol

Apr 6, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #16,840 of 27,137
Hmmn, has anyone tried to put the rp18 in an open wooden enclosure? 

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #16,842 of 27,137
Interesting, it looks like he angled the drivers as well. 

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #16,843 of 27,137

Just had a mini meet with my friends at our apartment (we share it).
LCD-2, modded mylar RP18 with W11 pads & stock mylar RP18.
And I am not changing my opinion, the LCD-2 are indeed top of the pile.

i never claim that NAD kapton in stock form are surpass or superior to LCD2 though..
but the difference between both are not much, they both have similarity even BMF say they both are different beast..the different maybe too much if i claim the diff are marginal, but not even worth for the price tag different..i purchase mine, used but mint condition, without original box&leaflet,with broken jack, about 300$, not included shipping&tax, so how much the price tag of LCD2? that's what i've been talking about, the difference in SQ wise are not equal or even worth for the gap for their price tag..

one more thing, i haven't got a change to test A/Bing mine with simple modded vs LCD2 stock..1 thing that i know, LCD2 already use better cup material, best pads with better leather material, angled, size&thickness, and better cables than my NAD..so if the different become marginal after i A/Bing they both, what are the result using same material as LCD2 used on stock form? lets figure it out, shall we?

Apr 7, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #16,844 of 27,137
And I never said that NAD shouldn't deserve a price tag of $300. Its when people project them as better than something like LCD-2 that I have to draw a line. NAD RP18 is a great can, no doubt about. I agree with Nickchen's sentiments that it almost makes the other headphones mid-fi'sh. The reason is the incredible resolution of these large drive orthos. And even what we call bass "light" version has great bass, the best I had heard before LCD-2.

Coming to LCD-2, these were the first headphones I heard which matched/exceeded the NAD's bass. They also are a shade better in resolution. I think the biggest difference is in soundstage, the LCD-2 provide a huge soundstage(compared to vintage orthos) which gives each instrument a space of their own. Add to that they look gorgeous(you don't care, I know), have better build quality & are more comfortable.Plus, you can buy them brand spankin' new - no need to change pads or cable.

To me, LCD-2 is a step-up. Whether that step-up is worth the price differential is entirely up to you.

edit : My views have changed much recently so I thought I should add a foot note here.The NAD can be modified to have much better soundstage than the modern orthos plus I appreciate the lightweight plastic frame of NAD much more now which is a welcome relief from the modern orthos.
I prefer the older ortho now, YMMV!

Apr 7, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #16,845 of 27,137
when do i ever claim that NAD are the same level or even more (with loose perspective) surpass/superior more than LCD2 ?
offcourse not, LCD2 really are more superior/surpass NAD bassheavy/basslight in stock form/condition...that's the fact..
but what i've talking about on my last post was the difference between both are not significant enough (for the price gap), IMHO..
popcorn.gif

so i'm not NAD fanboy or the one that loose perspective here, just sharing my opinion, thoughts and so on..peace...
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back