Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 5, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #16,817 of 27,158
Let me put it this way: All my other stuff has become awfully midfi-ish and thin meanwhile...
basshead.gif

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #16,820 of 27,158

Quote:
Bought another NAD RP18 for the team: Ebay Germany

We'll see if they are for NoXter or for Rhythmdevils finally...

Nice!  Glad to see a few more RP18s are coming into circulation.  As I spend more time tweaking the damping, the better they get. 

I'm waiting to see who pops up with the NOS Kenwood KH-83s out of Oz.  Somebody got a helluva good deal on them for only $175. 

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #16,822 of 27,158

Quote:
... The idea came from my rapid product development class, where my lecturer showed us some prototype sample made by a RPD machine glueing paper layers together. The quality of it ( by touching, knocking...) is almost like wood. How does the idea sound to you guys?

You're right that metals will ring more than wood, and you're heading in the right direction by using compressed glued paper. In fact, how about investigating paper-filled phenolics like PaperStone, which folks in the Thunderpants thread are experimenting with. Dead as a doornail about sums up its sonic signature. It might give you some DIY inspiration.

Quote:
BTW... the first can I bought with my money in my 20s was a YH100. I left it behind in Italy when I moved to UK and, after have read almost half of this long thread, I'm pestering my sisters on its quest. I really hope one more yh100 could be brought back to life.

Good heavens, yes, I hope your sisters can find it. A YH-100 is an excellent way to start the Ortho Journey. It's too bad they've become unobtainium or nearly so. It's the Yamaha equivalent of the NAD RP18 Kapton.

Quote:
Nice!  Glad to see a few more RP18s are coming into circulation.  As I spend more time tweaking the damping, the better they get. 

Yes, the more NADs in the hands of experimenters, the closer we'll be to getting at its potential. Let us know if you find the One Easy Thing that basically untilts the response curve.

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #16,823 of 27,158

Quote:
Yes, the more NADs in the hands of experimenters, the closer we'll be to getting at its potential. Let us know if you find the One Easy Thing that basically untilts the response curve.

Unless it's the version without tilt, that doesnt really require any modification..... Buying that version might be the Easiest Thing.

Apr 6, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #16,824 of 27,158

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Buying that version might be the Easiest Thing.

Not that easy !
Well, not anymore.
rolleyes.gif

The prices on orthos have gone out of hand for past of few months & i don't think its gonna wane with the current interest in orthos.
Time to move to vintage stats.
ph34r.gif

Apr 6, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #16,825 of 27,158

Quote:
Unless it's the version without tilt, that doesnt really require any modification..... Buying that version might be the Easiest Thing.

I somewhat disagree. As I've understood it, the so-said "good" bass light version is to be kept stock principally in order to sound best. I personally wouldn't fancy to have that monster with its stock supraaural pads, the T20v2 is painful enough. My bass-heavy RP18 with W11 or taped DT770 pads is comfort heaven, and it also provides SS worth mentioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan

apatN said:

The Alessandro included?

He did say "... ALL my other stuff." 
wink.gif

Brian is right. They are close, but the Ulti just doesn't manage to provide such a **real** multilayered bass. It's a difference if the bass layers get produced by smaller systems and "fake" measures such as distancers and big bowls, or if huuge systems simply **play** all these layers accurately. I have the suspicion that the NAD is LCD2 quality for HD600 money.

Apr 6, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #16,827 of 27,158

Quote:
I somewhat disagree. As I've understood it, the so-said "good" bass light version is to be kept stock principally in order to sound best. I personally wouldn't fancy to have that monster with its stock supraaural pads, the T20v2 is painful enough. My bass-heavy RP18 with W11 or taped DT770 pads is comfort heaven, and it also provides SS worth mentioning.

You understood wrong. The so-called "good version" sounds even better with W11 & O2 pads.
I am currently using the W11 pads on my pair.

Apr 6, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #16,828 of 27,158
Quote:
 I have the suspicion that the NAD is LCD2 quality for HD600 money.

I thought the well-balanced NAD is not quite as good as the LCD2. (Both unmodified.) To my ears, the LCD2 was a bit better, overall. To me, that difference makes a difference.

Apr 6, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #16,830 of 27,158
Okay, a 80% LCD2 then. I haven't heared the Audeze, but BoilermakerFan once told me via PM that he preferred his RP18.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back