Orthodynamic Roundup
Jul 19, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #15,001 of 27,138

Quote:
Quote:

Only SAWAFUJI SF-17 puts out an natural top high tone in old headphones, and the resolution is very high.However, the volume hardly goes out even if SF-17 ties to which headphone amplifier (I'm using LUXMAN P-1).
YAMAHA HP-1('s sound) is looks like a modern headphone, and the sound is almighty.
VICTOR HP-D50 and KAWAI SH-5(ATH-2) are like to HP-1 and its sound is also almighty, but their sound are more soberer.
T50 have also high resolution and the sound is more powerful.
KH-92 have the high resolution, and very very soft sound. The sound of KH-92 is like old fine LP sound. I love this
beyersmile.png

SE-500 is a more delicate sound. The maximum input might be low.
The rank falls into HP-50S and U70 a little in these headphones.

However, I noticed recently that these orthodynamic headphones cannot show the original performance if you don't hear them after sounding for about 10-20 minutes. Therefore, it's very difficult to rank these headphones.

I love the way you described each of those!  Nice to see different words used, gives a fresh take from the usual audiophile speak that I use. 

I'm not sure what you mean in the last paragraph though.  Do you mean that the headphones need to warm up or something?

Jul 20, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #15,003 of 27,138
Dang, missed the party again.

Hard to believe, isn't it.  I do agree with David.M: the best part of this little trip is yet to come.

While we're nattering on about felt, does anyone have a theory (extra points for using the term  adiabatic ) that would tell us which kind of felt (ie, the different wool grades; wool blends; polyester; acrylic) is likely to be the most effective for our purposes?

Jul 20, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #15,004 of 27,138
Quote:
Dang, missed the party again.          

Go for post 15150, that is ten times as much as 1515 
wink_face.gif

Update: the HP1 has a thing for instrumentals, Yann Tiersen's music sounded eargasmic, I am now writing of pianos and accordeons.

Jul 20, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #15,005 of 27,138

Quote:
I love the way you described each of those!  Nice to see different words used, gives a fresh take from the usual audiophile speak that I use. 

I'm not sure what you mean in the last paragraph though.  Do you mean that the headphones need to warm up or something?

Sorry for my Engrish.
As you say, I mean that many orthodynamic headphones need to warm up if you want the best performance of those.
Especially, the very tight high becomes soft and warm after warming up.        

Jul 20, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #15,006 of 27,138

Quote:

While we're nattering on about felt, does anyone have a theory (extra points for using the term  adiabatic ) that would tell us which kind of felt (ie, the different wool grades; wool blends; polyester; acrylic) is likely to be the most effective for our purposes?

What, and give away trade secrets?  I will say that most of the dozen plus synthetics that I've tried suck our far too much midrange energy and make the highs harsh or they do little to dampen the bass and polish off more treble than anything else.  

That reminds me, I need to harass an industrial felt supplier for my samples.  If these samples sound similar to the Oz felt, which I suspect they will, then I will have a solid, commercial specification for the felt that will yield consistent results based on the sound signature that I use when tuning. 
very_evil_smiley.gif
  Great for orthos, but even better for loaded horn speakers. 

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #15,007 of 27,138

Quote:

What, and give away trade secrets?  I will say that most of the dozen plus synthetics that I've tried suck our far too much midrange energy and make the highs harsh or they do little to dampen the bass and polish off more treble than anything else.  

That reminds me, I need to harass an industrial felt supplier for my samples.  If these samples sound similar to the Oz felt, which I suspect they will, then I will have a solid, commercial specification for the felt that will yield consistent results based on the sound signature that I use when tuning. 
very_evil_smiley.gif
  Great for orthos, but even better for loaded horn speakers. 

Tres cool!!

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #15,008 of 27,138

Quote:
Tres cool!!

Even cooler, I found a local Alpaca breeder that almost gives her fiber away for free.  She has almost no market for it locally and sells it for probably 20% the cost of wool fiber.  Once more projects are cleared off my list, I'll be making my own felt in the spring but I need a standard to make it too initially before I tweak the fiber orientations and over all densities.  I have many other uses for the felt besides headphones and speakers too so no plans to offer it commercially in raw form though I may let a little of it get out in the wild to party with some select vintage orthos or Thunderpants. 

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #15,010 of 27,138
Fostex T50LP - LeakyPants Commando
 ​
It lives! Not quite finished yet, needs a bit of tuning and maybe the rear grilles, also decision on which pads to use.

Quote:
seeking out alpaca breeders to improve the sound of headphones = pure win

x2! You should get the alpaca to test the phones hear how hairy the sound can get.

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #15,011 of 27,138

Quote:
Fostex T50LP - LeakyPants Commando
 ​
It lives! Not quite finished yet, needs a bit of tuning and maybe the rear grilles, also decision on which pads to use.

x2! You should get the alpaca to test the phones hear how hairy the sound can get.

Sweet!  O2 pads so you keep the bass that doesn't have a enclosure to reinforce it...

My cans are going nowhere near an Alpaca. 

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #15,012 of 27,138

Quote:
Sweet!  O2 pads so you keep the bass that doesn't have a enclosure to reinforce it...

My cans are going nowhere near an Alpaca. 

Why?  Alpacas are delicious!  
tongue_smile.gif

x2 on the O2 pads unless you got something else that can retain Bass.

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #15,014 of 27,138

Those look cool!  nice job.    everyone is sayig o2 pads, but how would you get them to stay on with those arms screwed into the cups like that... maybe you need to make some foam (or whatever) donuts to extend out from the drivers so you have something to slip the pads onto..
not that I have ANY idea what im talking about... but cool cans none the less... they look comfy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back