Orthodynamic Roundup
Nov 9, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #12,361 of 27,141
The T40v1, despite its designation as v1, was part of Fostex's second generation of orthos, which was quite different from the first. There was no T40 in the original lineup, so it was just the T50, T30, T20, and T10. The second generation only consisted of the T20 and T40 and they were revised and the T50 brought back as the current iteration, which we designate with the -RP suffix.

Man, way to pour salt in the wound, guys. I miss my T40 so much already.

Nov 9, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #12,362 of 27,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed all the way around, including the part about sudden death. It may be atavistic, cavemen sitting around the glowing post-prandial embers of a cooking fire or some such rot, but to someone who as a child was surrounded by tube radios and tube TVs and tube phonographs, tubes are special. These days, I'm amazed that anything with tubes works at all! Y'see, tube stuff wasn't all that reliable, bitd.

All I really remember was accompanying my father to the hardware store with a bag full of tubes to plug in to the tube tester when the TV didn't work.

My grandfather also had a side business of collecting TVs that people were trashing, fixing them by replacing the bad tubes, and reselling them.

Quote:

Y'know, that first one looks a little like an ATH-2.

It also looks like the Pioneer SE-4. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/pio...-these-436291/

Nov 9, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #12,363 of 27,141
T20v1 had a chunk of foam jammed into it, nothing else.

T20v2 had a glued-down white "diaper" of nonwoven fabric plus a slug of foam jammed between the driver and the back cup.

T40v1 had a diaper held down by only one dot of glue, no foam. Weird. This is the one MPI is suggesting be removed so you can, as he says, "damp from zero".

T50RP and all the Mk II versions have the square driver with a thin white diaper stretched tight across the back and glued down equally tight. Any foam that might be inside (I haven't seen any, but you never know) would be more for rattle prevention or cup damping than anything else.

Nov 10, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #12,364 of 27,141
Quote:

T20v1 had a chunk of foam jammed into it, nothing else.

T20v2 had a glued-down white "diaper" of nonwoven fabric plus a slug of foam jammed between the driver and the back cup.

T40v1 had a diaper held down by only one dot of glue, no foam. Weird.

T50RP and all the Mk II versions have the square driver with a thin white diaper stretched tight across the back and glued down equally tight. This is the one MPI is suggesting be removed so you can, as he says, "damp from zero". Any foam that might be inside (I haven't seen any, but you never know) would be more for rattle prevention or cup damping than anything else.

My T40s are not stock then. There is no diaper inside. No visible glue dot residue either though...

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #12,365 of 27,141
Sweet, one less step you gotta go through to make 'em sound great.
wink.gif

Also, wualta, your post kind of makes it seem like I'm talking about the current generation T40RP, which I'm not.

Nov 10, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #12,366 of 27,141
I'll get to them, but I need to get the RP18s done so Colin can listen to them before they get shipped back to me and I have the MHM V1.2 prototype, eXStata amps and Kabeer's energizer to finish as well as the recapping of a HAM radio receiver for a client to generate more funds, so the T40s are here, and they will get the love they deserve, but they're girl friend number 6 or 7 right now...

Nov 10, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #12,367 of 27,141
Also considering selling my HP-1s. I'll do a little tweak to the dampening to get them where they deserve to be, but the headstrap is cracked in a couple places as most of the old Yammies are and I don't know if I'll have time to fab an aluminum sheet/suede replacement.

If anyone is interested, LMK in a PM and we can chat. Price will be cheaper in "as is" headstrap condition versus custom headstrap, but if the headstrap is the deal breaker, then I can be convinced with US dollars via Paypal.
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #12,368 of 27,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My T40s are not stock then. There is no diaper inside. No visible glue dot residue either though...

Huh! Doubly weird. All the second-gen Fostex T20 and T40 (from ~1986 to ~2006) we've seen on the Big Thread have had diapers... so far. Another running production change? or has someone been inside your T40s, bustin' posts off and such?

Well, like MPI says, and to paraphrase Tom Wolfe: Damp From Zero.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis
Also, wualta, your post kind of makes it seem like I'm talking about the current generation T40RP, which I'm not.

Oops. Thanks for the correction. I've edited the post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan
the headstrap is cracked in a couple places as most of the old Yammies are and I don't know if I'll have time to fab an aluminum sheet/suede replacement.

The stiffening plastic edge protectors are held onto the "leather" with doublesticky. Some have found that the best repair is simply remove all the plastic and let the headstrap go floppy. Just a thought.

Nov 10, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #12,369 of 27,141
Quote:

Huh! Doubly weird. All the second-gen Fostex T20 and T40 (from ~1986 to ~2006) we've seen on the Big Thread have had diapers... so far. Another running production change? or has someone been inside your T40s, bustin' posts off and such?

Well, like MPI says, and to paraphrase Tom Wolfe: Damp From Zero.

Oops. Thanks for the correction. I've edited the post.

The stiffening plastic edge protectors are held onto the "leather" with doublesticky. Some have found that the best repair is simply remove all the plastic and let the headstrap go floppy. Just a thought.

Mine have been molested. This is not a stock T40. Copyright on the paperwork is 1996.

I tried floppy on rd's YH-100 and hated it. Took 3 days to fix his. These are beyond JB Weld and CA glue. I will do the aluminum and suede when I get a chance unless someone else wants them and just doesn't care. Doesn't impact performance or comfort, just aesthetics. Poor aesthetics are not an acceptable alternative for me.

Nov 10, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #12,373 of 27,141
Anyone know of a good online source for replacement Fostex ear pads? Specifically for the T40?

The stock round T40 pads work very, very well on my Kenwood KH-82 electret. I'll have to do a side-by-side comparison against the W11 pads, but the Fostex are much easier to fit onto a pad adapter rind. The T40 pads boosted the bass nicely on the KH-82. Still no where near the actual Fostex cans, but much better that stock with only a pad swap.

Nov 10, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #12,374 of 27,141
I bought an AKG 240 Monitor (actually, it's a headphone despite text saying it's a "monitor" on it clearly) and as I examined it I saw a thick paper-like material covering holes in the baffle to the inside. I wonder why Peerless decided to cover their baffle vent with foam. Maybe paper would have been better? (Or blu-tack, which covers it now). I am curious about what magic I am loosing by having all this blutak over the vent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back