Orthodynamic Roundup
Nov 13, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #12,392 of 27,158
On a different note, I just noticed that the HP50 driver uses similar beveling as did PMB

yamahadrivers009.jpg

who woulda thunk ..dB

edit

a close up of the driver membrane

yamahadrivers001.jpg

and another

yamahadrivers004.jpg

Nov 13, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #12,393 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a different note, I just noticed that the HP50 driver uses similar beveling as did PMB

Great find dBel, to further that note. The HP-3 has similar sloping holes. The YH-100 and 1000 dont.
I don't know what this all means though.

Now, iQem, im not sure where your friend found those Sony DR-11, but I am going to think it's not an ortho. DAC said he wasnt convinced so I looked at it further. And I believe that someone just glued HP50 drivers into a DR-11 enclosure.

Sony DR11 - Wikiphonia

Looking at your pics, the glue job is very messy. Also the baffle has holes OUTSIDE the driver edges, indicating there was once a larger driver there.

The suprise at how it had a ortho driver in it due to its completely different chassis than a normal planar, was probably because its a dynamic can. The yellow version you link to says 8 Ohm on it (i dunno if yours says so). I don think the Yamaha drivers inside were 8 ohm right?
This begs the question, what nutjob thought it wise to put HP50 drivers in there :S?

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #12,394 of 27,158
Well, even if it was never a real ortho model, iQEM's is an ortho now. Problem is, it's dead. I'm hoping Don PM'd all his secret manipulations to iQEM so he can spread the orthohealing methods to his part of the world.

Speaking of which, interesting photos of the HP-50. Are we looking at straight holes that have been chamfered, or are the holes actually conical?

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #12,395 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, even if it was never a real ortho model, iQEM's is an ortho now. Problem is, it's dead. I'm hoping Don PM'd all his secret manipulations to iQEM so he can spread the orthohealing methods to his part of the world.

Speaking of which, interesting photos of the HP-50. Are we looking at straight holes that have been chamfered, or are the holes actually conical?

Well if it isnt an ortho it needs to be removed from the ortho list (on the wiki). That was the main reason for my post.

I think the holes are conocal. It seems the inner hole (next to the disaphragm) is smaller than the outer hole. And the hole edges arent smooth (if thats what you meant by chamfered).

Nov 13, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #12,396 of 27,158
Been listening to my T10..i just received it yesterday after getting some felt treatment by the zen master Don..wow oh wow..I am soo in love with it.
Perfectly balanced with excellent extension in both the extremes with a touch of warmth in the mids.
I think I am going to be taking this around with me where ever i go...

The T10 is a much nicer to carry around on the bus than the SFI.
So, SFI pickering has replaced the YHD-2 that my boss was using till yesterday.

Nov 13, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #12,399 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A donut of smeggy felt on the cups with a quarter sized hole,
a layer of the yellow biscuit about the size of a dollar coin in the middle
Layer of aussie felt up against the driver.

That's it? No micropore tape? Maybe, maybe, I'll have to give the underlayment felt another try... Maybe I'll try that in the T40s too.

I'm beginning to think I need to send my T10s to Don along with a SACD of his choice! Actually, I'd send the Kenwood KH-83 just in case the driver goes out again (might as well have it at the Doc's house) and the Kabeer WE NOS cable for them with a Neutrk 3.5mm jack.

Nov 13, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #12,400 of 27,158
Quote:

well the doc may have some skills but he was sent into paroxysms when these showed up yesterday

iQEMyamahadrivers002.jpg

The mail was not good to iQEM's drivers , all is not lost though, we have some potential of getting at least the YH100 and HP50 back up and running. I was pleased to hear the YHD3 went to him

As far as the T10 is concerned - I tried a few things, the auzie disc up against the diaphragm, stock glass fibre biscuit and 2/3 donut worked the best to my ears. It is still a work in progress but this is the latest incarnation and I have been happy with it thus far..dB

Nov 14, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #12,403 of 27,158
So AU felt is ultra-dense wool felt?

We need a chart with all the shorthand names we've been using. A perfect little article for Wikiphonia. We may not be able to test porosity (unless someone has a way of measuring the pressure drop across a felt disk), but we can cut disks of a given diameter and weigh samples of the same thickness to get a rough idea of relative density.

A "donut of felt on the cups" means on the inside of the driver cup, on the back wall?

Don't forget to tell us the story of how you [Sachu] and the boss started swapping headphones. It can't fail to hold our interest.

iQEM, we feel your pain.
If the busted magnets broke clean and there are no ferrite crumbs, I'd think good ol' CA glue should do the job. Not that I'd want to volunteer. I'd want to borrow some PMB magnet clips to help hold it together, too, despite those clips being a PITA.

P.S.: Kabeer: a chamfer is what you put on a hole when you can't radius it-- you break the sharp edge (or cut the corner, if you will) with a countersink and turn a 90-degree angle into two kinder gentler 45s. A bevel is a cut on the end or edge of something that's not 90 degrees. They're related, and there's some overlap, but they're distinct. A conical hole is a... well, a hole 'nother thang, heh heh.

Nov 14, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #12,404 of 27,158
Quote:

yamahadrivers009.jpg

who woulda thunk ..dB

edit

a close up of the driver membrane

yamahadrivers001.jpg

and another

yamahadrivers004.jpg

so that pict's took from the HP50A driver or Sony DR11 of mine ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great find dBel, to further that note. The HP-3 has similar sloping holes. The YH-100 and 1000 dont.
I don't know what this all means though.

Now, iQem, im not sure where your friend found those Sony DR-11, but I am going to think it's not an ortho. DAC said he wasnt convinced so I looked at it further. And I believe that someone just glued HP50 drivers into a DR-11 enclosure.

Sony DR11 - Wikiphonia

Looking at your pics, the glue job is very messy. Also the baffle has holes OUTSIDE the driver edges, indicating there was once a larger driver there.

The suprise at how it had a ortho driver in it due to its completely different chassis than a normal planar, was probably because its a dynamic can. The yellow version you link to says 8 Ohm on it (i dunno if yours says so). I don think the Yamaha drivers inside were 8 ohm right?
This begs the question, what nutjob thought it wise to put HP50 drivers in there :S?

maybe but at the first time i open that DR11, it's glued perfectly to the baffles (with hot glue, offcourse)...
all the hot glue covered the grill holes that out of the driver diametre...
it's messy when i opened the driver from baffles to get replace...
but if you & DAC think that it's not basically an Ortho, then i'll remove it right away from the Wiki Ortho until i figure out that the DR11 are really an ortho...
as i had said before on earlier posts, a friend of mine find that DR11 on local antique store with both channel died...
so i bought it from him and found that one driver are dead, and the other are just cable problem...
even if the drivers look the same to HP50 driver, i had test&compare em' both...
they sound different, i use the same source, same cable without any enclosure and holding em' by hand...
but maybe it's just my ears, who knows...
redface.gif

Quote:

amen...
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well if it isnt an ortho it needs to be removed from the ortho list (on the wiki). That was the main reason for my post.

I think the holes are conocal. It seems the inner hole (next to the disaphragm) is smaller than the outer hole. And the hole edges arent smooth (if thats what you meant by chamfered).

what's wrong with the Wiki Ortho ? someone maybe had hacked it...please take a look...
frown.gif

Quote:

well the doc may have some skills but he was sent into paroxysms when these showed up yesterday

iQEMyamahadrivers002.jpg

The mail was not good to iQEM's drivers , all is not lost though, we have some potential of getting at least the YH100 and HP50 back up and running. I was pleased to hear the YHD3 went to him

As far as the T10 is concerned - I tried a few things, the auzie disc up against the diaphragm, stock glass fibre biscuit and 2/3 donut worked the best to my ears. It is still a work in progress but this is the latest incarnation and I have been happy with it thus far..dB

yup, 1pc of HP50A & 1pc of DR11 magnet are broken...the HP50A are with the broken-but-glued magnet before i send em to db, but both DR11 drivers are in good shape before the shipment...i might claim the expedition but for what reason ? there's so much trouble...

Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's some serious damage. Were the magnets already cracked?

I don't remember seeing Aussie felt mentioned before. How dense is it?

nope, there in one piece before the shipping...but...nevermind... *sigh*
frown.gif

Quote:

I think one may have been broken but the other happened in transit

Auzzie felt from our felt fiend Ludo 1 and & 2.

..dB

agree...but even it's broken the magnet of that HP50A had been glued together before...

Quote:

iQEM, we feel your pain.
If the busted magnets broke clean and there are no ferrite crumbs, I'd think good ol' CA glue should do the job. Not that I'd want to volunteer. I'd want to borrow some PMB magnet clips to help hold it together, too, despite those clips being a PITA.

thank's for the input, wualta...
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #12,405 of 27,158
Well the "sony" is most likely an HP50 type driver - same impedance and build. The driver membrane in the previous series was the sony.

I flushed this beastie out of the sony when i washed it in ethanol.

yamahadrivers010.jpg

seems it must have spent some time in there and dribbled acid everywhere as there were approx 100 small etched holes - as a result, not my best repair to date.

Drivers after their alcohol bath

yamahadrivers016.jpg

Drivers re-assembled and measuring close to where they should.

yamahadrivers018.jpg

..dB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back