Orthodynamic Roundup
Nov 10, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #12,376 of 27,161
Forget about these fancy new orthos.
What you really need is a Fostex SR-10 meat skewer edition!! (with added blutak bonus'):

4094149436_54c824cbdb_o.jpg

This is a Fostex T10 with a Stax SR30 frame, held together with blobs of bluetak, and meat skewers
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #12,381 of 27,161
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aye...i read that before posting..was wondering what the ortho ninjas think about it compared to say the CR-1020.

Well, the price is right, but I'd still hold out for a CR-1020 only because I have all the info on the 1020 and I know it will sound great. Plus I just love the look of the CR-x20 family. Just saw that there was a CR-420 too, the baby of the family, but it still has the dual ortho, resistor network fed, headphone jacks.

Send Merrylander a PM on AK and ask him if the headphone jack is fed from the output transistors via a resister network like the CR-x20 line. If it is, go for it, if it's not, meh, buy at your own risk, but it will sound good with speakers regardless, or you can build your own network...

Nov 12, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #12,383 of 27,161
Indeed!

Ok, need some help from the camera guys. I need a small, relatively inexpensive C-mount lens for the TV camera. But here's the catch. I need it to be silver, in decent shape and I need it to accept readily available filters on the front. Now the bad news: I plan to break it. I have to knock out the lenses and make it a hollow tube. The filter will be the "glass" for the lens so it will be a clear window to peak in at the glowing tubes without distorting them.

Links to BIN or auctions with at least 2 days remaining are perfectly fine. If anyone has a lens that doesn't turn or is already cracked inside, but looks OK outside at it will still mount and accept filters, that's perfect.

Nov 12, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #12,384 of 27,161
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps I should have watched these more closely -

I would've liked to see what you'd make of a YHD-3. I've heard Kabeer say that replacing the foam earpad with a pleather cup made them way bassy, and we know what that means.

Nov 12, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #12,385 of 27,161
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would've liked to see what you'd make of a YHD-3. I've heard Kabeer say that replacing the foam earpad with a pleather cup made them way bassy, and we know what that means.

Don has heard my (ex) YHD1 with pleather pads, and he owns a YHD2.
My take on it, was that the YHD1 was pretty much the same sound, but a little more 'refined' it had more trebles. Must be something to do with the stronger magnets.

It had good bass, but lack of cup space meant damping had to be creative. But the size of the YHD frames are just amazing. It was a little painful selling my YHD1.
So I think he has a general ballpark idea of the YHD3.

Nov 12, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #12,386 of 27,161
Wikiphonia needs your assistance!
L3000.gif

Go fill in whatever you can.

Also I am starting up a 'to-do' list here of material we already have, that needs to be added to the wiki:
Wikiphonia :Community Portal - Wikiphonia .

I thought having some easy list would kick us into gear, maybe people could add bits here and there when they are free, rather than the close-to-nothing going on now
biggrin.gif

Obviously I am only writing on the ortho section here. But it can be spread to the rest of headfi and they can fill in the others.

Nov 12, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #12,387 of 27,161
Maybe we should have a more close look at the late 80:s orthos?
This Vivanco from 87 is on my list of orthos, but I've not seen a post where it's 100% confirmed. The headset looks vaguely similar to the ATH-2. What do you people think? Does anyone own one (well Werther does, but i've not seen him post in this thread)?

If no one can confirm that it's an ortho, I'll remove it form my list since there is nothing to suggest that it's an ortho from this information. Except for the vaguely similar headband.

vivancosr75.jpg

Nov 13, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #12,388 of 27,161
Quote:

Perhaps I should have watched these more closely - just assumed they would be pushed up by the last minute frenzy ..dB

its me that won that listing, the seller say its a yamaha YHO-3 on the description..i compare to yamaha line and found out that it was a YHD3..hopefully it was a great invest since on wiki ortho stated that its a sibling of YHE50S,that was 1 of the close-to-the-toptier-cans rank..so it suppose to be better or on par with YH100? and is it good with leather ear cushion pads or foam pads?

Nov 13, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #12,389 of 27,161
well you have just found a sleeping giant
wink.gif
, I am glad that you bought them. Be very careful when you try to open them and if you feel that you are going to break them, rather leave them undamped

kabeer posted a detailed how to earlier in this forum.

..dB

Nov 13, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #12,390 of 27,161
Quote:

well you have just found a sleeping giant
wink.gif
, I am glad that you bought them. Be very careful when you try to open them and if you feel that you are going to break them, rather leave them undamped

kabeer posted a detailed how to earlier in this forum.

..dB

Congrats.
And yup, when it comes to opening them, very closely follow my guide (the only part you can change is how to crack the glue).

If you need help contact me at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back