Orthodynamic Roundup
Mar 3, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #26,972 of 27,141
People, I am saving you money once again.

I hoped these below to be dh-eighty-s clones, but they are not. These are dynamic, again. Made in Japan.
With the exact same frame and shell as the hosi-then 80.
Very possible to be stemming from this rare piece somehow.

bst.jpg

Off-topic: here is just what you see when you peek into the earpad of the ja-mo eleven twenty-nine from the front.
There is this perforated rubber-like flexible domed sheet material right before the driver.
I am afraid I wont have the guts to open up the shell, these are just in too pristine condition.

inside.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #26,975 of 27,141
Custom chassis designed by me (inspired by ETA headphones) using yamaha hp1 speakers.
I used dampening material on the back but i honestly like them naked more!

20230215_1046512.jpg20230215_1046342.jpg20230215_1534572.jpg
I have a set of hp1 lying around and would love trying the drivers in a more suitable frame: is this 3d printed? can you share the files?

Mar 23, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #26,976 of 27,141
20230322_211029.JPG

Ended up buying a pair of HP-3s with the original box 😄 might love these even more, my 3s have more bass than the 50s and maybe a tiny bit of extra top end edge. They are very similar but I find the HP-3 is just a bit nicer to my ears at least :)

Primarily they don't clamp nearly as hard so I can actually wear them without getting a headache! Headband is obviously just a bit of hard plastic but it's not uncomfortable somehow.

Also working on putting the drivers from the HP-50A into a pair of AKG K245, should be done with that any day now :)

Attachments

• 20230320_193522.JPG
    20230320_193522.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Mar 23, 2023 at 7:10 AM Post #26,977 of 27,141

Ended up buying a pair of HP-3s with the original box 😄 might love these even more, my 3s have more bass than the 50s and maybe a tiny bit of extra top end edge. They are very similar but I find the HP-3 is just a bit nicer to my ears at least :)

Primarily they don't clamp nearly as hard so I can actually wear them without getting a headache! Headband is obviously just a bit of hard plastic but it's not uncomfortable somehow.

Also working on putting the drivers from the HP-50A into a pair of AKG K245, should be done with that later today 😁

Mar 24, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #26,978 of 27,141
Finished these last night, AKG K245 with drivers from my Yamaha HP-50A.

Pretty simple to do if you have a 3D printer, a scalpel/exactoknife, soldering iron, philips screwdriver and a couple of hours.

The why is that I found the HP-50A very uncomfortable. I got the frames from a friend who was tossing them otherwise. I would say the K245s are an alright choice for these drivers if you want open backs.

The mod procedure was:
Tear down K245s and remove the glued in drivers. The glue dissolves with acetone but so does the plastic 🫠
CAD and print spacers with OD 50mm and I'd 46mm and a 5mm wide slot for the tab on the drivers.
Cut out the grill and paper and fill the vents with bluetac.(picture 2)
Cut a 5mm wide slot for the tab on the drivers
Put the drivers with the spacers in(its a good friction fit because of the rough 3D print surface)
Solder in the new drivers and put it all back together again
Done!

Without the bluetac a lot of bass was lost, but it came back stronger than ever with the vents blocked. The rest of the sound transfered over very well, the sound stage has been greatly increased and so has comfort. Haven't gotten to compare A/B with my HP-3s yet though, these are just my initial impressions.

Big thanks to @khbaur330162 for helping me make this a reality! Your inspiration and advice has been great!

Attachments

• 20230323_121341.JPG
    20230323_121341.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230320_193522~2.JPG
    20230320_193522~2.JPG
    392.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230323_113001.JPG
    20230323_113001.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230323_112623.JPG
    20230323_112623.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Mar 26, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #26,979 of 27,141
Finished these last night, AKG K245 with drivers from my Yamaha HP-50A.

Pretty simple to do if you have a 3D printer, a scalpel/exactoknife, soldering iron, philips screwdriver and a couple of hours.

The why is that I found the HP-50A very uncomfortable. I got the frames from a friend who was tossing them otherwise. I would say the K245s are an alright choice for these drivers if you want open backs.

The mod procedure was:
Tear down K245s and remove the glued in drivers. The glue dissolves with acetone but so does the plastic 🫠
CAD and print spacers with OD 50mm and I'd 46mm and a 5mm wide slot for the tab on the drivers.
Cut out the grill and paper and fill the vents with bluetac.(picture 2)
Cut a 5mm wide slot for the tab on the drivers
Put the drivers with the spacers in(its a good friction fit because of the rough 3D print surface)
Solder in the new drivers and put it all back together again
Done!

Without the bluetac a lot of bass was lost, but it came back stronger than ever with the vents blocked. The rest of the sound transfered over very well, the sound stage has been greatly increased and so has comfort. Haven't gotten to compare A/B with my HP-3s yet though, these are just my initial impressions.

Big thanks to @khbaur330162 for helping me make this a reality! Your inspiration and advice has been great!

good mod! My YH-100 is also uncomfortable... I need to think a lot about this...

Mar 26, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #26,980 of 27,141
good mod! My YH-100 is also uncomfortable... I need to think a lot about this...
Check out my previous post below. I think I can help you. I have developed the build a lot since that post, too, measures are better than ever.

What YH-100 variant do you have?

So I've had the opportunity to build a few KH-100's (transplanted YH-100's) and I feel I have a little bit of information to glean on everyone given my travels. I believe there are different production runs of the YH-100 drivers, not all are built the same. Let me go through the three variations that I've seen so far, there may be more:

First up is the first variation I ever found. It has matte flux plates, silver ground tab, not very shiny, sort of dull looking. I'd say this is the least technical, yet still sounds very very good.

This is what they measure like, mod list in the title.

Second up is the "shiny" revision. These have a noticeable glean/shine to the flux plates. Also flux plates have Green and Red wavy hue to them at times, obviously some post manufacturing process has been applied. Silver ground tab. I believe these are a later production and sound slightly more technical to me with more bass. (Center pin a bit abused on this driver because the left driver diaphragm had a crease in it and noticeable bass roll off. I eventually was able to twist the center pin and achieve much better bass balance with its partner).

This is what they measure like. Similar mods to the matte variant (no damping, Chinese pads, plated OCC Copper recable, same Sony housing).

Here is a second example of shiny revision:

Then we have my favorite variation, the Copper ground tab. It has matte flux plates, but unlike the first variation, as I mentioned, it has Copper ground tabs.

This is what they measure like, same mods:

Bit of mid-bass imbalance, but this is not uncharacteristic of YH-100's ime. To get a balanced pair of drivers is actually a bit odd ime, Yamaha QC was maybe not the best. These are the most technical of the bunch of what I've been able to get my hands on: most detail, most room acoustics, decent bass, cleanliest. I have not fully tested the various models for sibilance, but they all seem to exhibit slight excitement in the "sss," "chhh," "tttt" and even some treble regions at times given hot mastering, but this is mostly due to my mods and potentially able to be mitigated. Damping exacerbates the sibilance hence no damping on all models. Given Yamaha's use of Copper in previous generations (HP/YH-1000) I'm guessing the Copper ground tab variant is an early production, matte flux plates with Silver ground tab is mid-production, and shiny flux plates + Silver ground tab is late production.

I want to iterate that the differences between variations is somewhat small. I believe the largest jump in SQ is with the early production units (Copper ground tab) where the jump in detail and cleanliness is about as big as the jump between HP-1 and YH-100, imho. Most of the differences would probably be hard to differentiate within the stock enclosures. I feel my transplant process makes discerning differences between variations a lot easier due to added clarity and lack of housing distortions.

So, if you want my humble opinion, you like the YH-100's and indulge in collecting the various versions of them, maybe keep your eyes peeled for a Copper ground tab variant. You might be happy you stumbled on one.

-Edit-

Bit of an addendum. I find the shiny revision a little wetter and more vibrant than Copper ground tab. The Copper ground tab can be a bit dry or dull at times as reinforced with long listening sessions. I still think Copper ground tab ekes a tiny bit more detail/cuts a little deeper, but it's at a price of vibrancy.

Also, just to show you the effects of further center pin fiddling, I've been able to tune the second shiny revision measured to better match in the mid bass, see here:

Mar 26, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #26,981 of 27,141
Check out my previous post below. I think I can help you. I have developed the build a lot since that post, too, measures are better than ever.

What YH-100 variant do you have?

Thanks for your posting. I think I have an other variation of yh-100.
Mine has shiny plate, but no patterns on it, and also it doesn't have copper ground.

I think it is such an earlier production. because former owner was korean. It is thought to have come from Japan early 1980s. It is interesting..

KakaoTalk_20230327_110008242.jpg

Mar 26, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #26,982 of 27,141
Thanks for your posting. I think I have an other variation of yh-100.
Mine has shiny plate, but no patterns on it, and also it doesn't have copper ground.

I think it is such an earlier production. because former owner was korean. It is thought to have come from Japan early 1980s. It is interesting..

Wow. Very interesting. Would love to hear these myself, but they are yours for the transplantin'! Nice find.

Is that a recable I see? What's going on there?

I am contemplating publishing an updated build video on YouTube for 55mm pinched orthos as my first one kinda sucked. Until then, feel free to send me a PM and I will walk you through the build process entirely. I have sold a pair of these headphones on eBay and the buyer reported back to me that he thought they competed with $500-$1k headphones. These are highly competent drivers, they are just dying for a proper transplant imho. The headphone frame I use is the Sony DR-ZX701ip (MDR-ZX700 with a short cable with in-line microphone). These are getting rare so act quickly if you wanna participate in this particular mod. They can be had new old stock from Newegg for $55 + taxes and free shipping right now, but who knows how long this will last. The Sony frames have angled drivers for better soundstaging and are built well/are nice and compact. I have all the modding materials you would need minus the earpads.

Let's chat!

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #26,983 of 27,141
Wow. Very interesting. Would love to hear these myself, but they are yours for the transplantin'! Nice find.

Is that a recable I see? What's going on there?

I am contemplating publishing an updated build video on YouTube for 55mm pinched orthos as my first one kinda sucked. Until then, feel free to send me a PM and I will walk you through the build process entirely. I have sold a pair of these headphones on eBay and the buyer reported back to me that he thought they competed with $500-$1k headphones. These are highly competent drivers, they are just dying for a proper transplant imho. The headphone frame I use is the Sony DR-ZX701ip (MDR-ZX700 with a short cable with in-line microphone). These are getting rare so act quickly if you wanna participate in this particular mod. They can be had new old stock from Newegg for $55 + taxes and free shipping right now, but who knows how long this will last. The Sony frames have angled drivers for better soundstaging and are built well/are nice and compact. I have all the modding materials you would need minus the earpads.

Let's chat!

Great! I was planning to rebuild my YH-100. Original cable was removed by formal owner..(He didn't know the value about this amazing one...)
I ordered a new parts for yh-100...(It is brand new repair part amazing!) When it comes from hungary, I will open my Yamaha one, and then upload the post!

It is still in the planning stage, So I need to think a lot about this... and then I will PM to you! thanks!!! :wink:

thank for your amazing information!

Apr 2, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #26,985 of 27,141
Been slowly starting to explore my vintage collection again. My passion for planar never died, just my priority but using the LETSHUOER S12 planar iem recently, has me exploring possilities again. @ludoo i can empathize with the recovering headphone addict descriptor :)
Hah :) I must admit it feels good being back here.

I debated buying the Letshuoer and then opted for the cheaper KZ PR1 Pro. They sound good, I just need to find an XXL set of tips for my large ear canals...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back