Orthodynamic Roundup
Dec 7, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #25,471 of 27,138
No special search engine :)
Things find me even when I am not often actively looking, and especially after mentioning them to someone in conversation.
Ask GREQ he has this happen also.
It's along the lines of a siddhi of sorts.

PLUS: You'll see in my profile: "Planar Magnetic Dimensional Beings"
I'm only partly joking, or am I?

Either will be fine. The dynahi is more fun though :wink:

If you don't mind what will that build cost all said and done tweaked to whatever max there is for it.
I am considering a Teddy Pardo HP amp to be fully done with it... but other options are welcome . PM if you don't feel comfortable with costages.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #25,473 of 27,138
Fostex sure knows how to make an ortho, and have known for a long time it seems! I had some HE400S before, and they were the worst orthos I'd ever tried. HiFiMan makes a terrible product, IMO. :frowning2:

Yea I can't get behind anything Hifiman either. They just have 0/10 comfort

I haven't tried the HE-400S, but the HE-4XX might be one to change your mind. It measures quite a bit more linearly than the HE-400S with better bass extension and smoother midrange and treble. Speaking of which, I may be interested in selling them if either of you guys wanted to give them a shot. :wink:

Much lighter at 405g without cables attached and pretty comfortable. Well at least, a lot more comfortable than the HE-500 - that thing was a heavyweight. I believe with Audeze vegan pads and a wool knitted headband, it weighed at 568g without cables attached.

^ the T30 there due to open back, if you add in some quilt batting that will still allow some openish sound, but reflect some top end back you will be in business.

I'm actually pretty content with it or at least as of the moment. They make a great can to just kick back and relax without the fatigue from the treble.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #25,474 of 27,138
Speaking of bad headphones, I've been wondering what the oldest bakelite enclosures do in contrast to the usual plastic enclosures of today? I imagine there's some magic there... Does anyone know of any colored bakelite sets? I've seen some blue/red cans from maico, but they are actually black bakelite covered in plastic. Newcomb made red sets, but I think they are painted red, instead of dyed material. Best I've seen is Superex with Grey cans, and beyerdynamic dt96 in white.

Dec 7, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #25,475 of 27,138
On that topic there was a fella in here that did some great SFI mods with those, and customized them with made leather pads and headbands, but they were all black think .
If one were able to search images within a thread ( can we? ) I'd be able to dig them up.
Can't think of any other term except SFI to look for.

OK here:
They only posted 58 times could search their image within the thread results here.
Orthodynamic Roundup | Page 1554 | Head-Fi.org
Orthodynamic Roundup | Page 1563 | Head-Fi.org
Post #23316

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #25,477 of 27,138
I haven't tried the HE-400S, but the HE-4XX might be one to change your mind. It measures quite a bit more linearly than the HE-400S with better bass extension and smoother midrange and treble. Speaking of which, I may be interested in selling them if either of you guys wanted to give them a shot. :wink:

Much lighter at 405g without cables attached and pretty comfortable. Well at least, a lot more comfortable than the HE-500 - that thing was a heavyweight. I believe with Audeze vegan pads and a wool knitted headband, it weighed at 568g without cables attached.

I'm actually pretty content with it or at least as of the moment. They make a great can to just kick back and relax without the fatigue from the treble.
Nah I have the Oppo PM-2 and the mrspeakers Aeon, those two headphones basically complete what I would ever want in headphones. So I'm done looking at this point in time.
And considering that I tried like 3 different Hifiman's and they are just super uncomfortable.... I don't see the reason to give the brand at all another shot.

Dec 7, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #25,478 of 27,138
I had initially thought the crystal sets had smaller insides, but they appear to fit a 38 - 40 mm driver easily.

There seems to be very little Soviet talk or consideration in here I noticed. Maybe I am the only one left who likes them.
Larger TDS-16 is 60mm after all.

And anyone that keeps the stock pads and expect a proper performance is crazy:), that might have something to do with it also.

I suppose the variation at times between bass normal/lite and bassier. You never know what you might get.

Dec 7, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #25,479 of 27,138
I had initially thought the crystal sets had smaller insides, but they appear to fit a 38 - 40 mm driver easily.

There seems to be very little Soviet talk or consideration in here I noticed. Maybe I am the only one left who likes them.
Larger TDS-16 is 60mm after all.

And anyone that keeps the stock pads and expect a proper performance is crazy:), that might have something to do with it also.

I suppose the variation at times between bass normal/lite and bassier. You never know what you might get.

the soviet orthos actually look pretty nice but like you mentioned,only few people talked about it. i only knew few impressions based on wikiphonia. and price on ebay looks very ridiculous
i think tds7 and tds 15 looks very cool

tds-16 are the one who have few impedance variations right?

Dec 7, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #25,481 of 27,138
I'm actually very interested, but the ebay prices are not at all favorable. 160 for an untested set. That's too much of a gamble for most sets. I don't know why, but I really like the look of the tds-7.

Edit* look at this, rehenheim and I just have impeccable taste ^

dude!!!!!!

the first time i saw tds7 on wikiphonia with the wooden plate..i just gotta have that one
82305.jpg

Dec 7, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #25,482 of 27,138
I'm actually very interested, but the ebay prices are not at all favorable. 160 for an untested set. That's too much of a gamble for most sets. I don't know why, but I really like the look of the tds-7.

Edit* look at this, rehenheim and I just have impeccable taste ^

I've been eyeing that and the TDS-15. Interesting looking headphones although never really looked into them.

Dec 7, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #25,483 of 27,138
I've been eyeing that and the TDS-15. Interesting looking headphones although never really looked into them.

i think you've been eyeing everything... i think you need help... there is a time in life when you need to know when to stop maybe this is one of those moment

Dec 7, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #25,484 of 27,138
i think you've been eyeing everything... i think you need help... there is a time in life when you need to know when to stop maybe this is one of those moment

Well, more like noticed haha. I've got ortho fever.

Dec 7, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #25,485 of 27,138
Well, more like noticed haha. I've got ortho fever.
yes! do you need help? i think me, @WallofHooligans, @nick n and anyone in here would be happy to help you. let that one go my friend... the "Topsy Kretts" and maybe some other "stuff"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back