Orthodynamic Roundup
Dec 7, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #25,456 of 27,137
Hmm.
I imagine that the t50 could probably survive getting knocked about, you just love it too much!

The aurex ones I've never seen on sale. I had the opportunity to pick up a rotel 930 recently, but passed on it. I really think that's a beautiful headphone though. Same with the se700. Beautiful, but probably not for me.
Is the 85 the goofy looking mini float? Is the Se100j the same as an se100? I have one of those- the adapter box is quite handsome.

Well dudes, Here's the deal. If you guys want to join forces, we could potentially pass the "gem" around a few times. I was thinking perhaps that we consider what in our own collection we might consider trading for it. So I would consider trading "Something Rare" like my Toshiba HR-F1, pioneer monitor 10ii in the box, or "Something Tasty" like my Fostex t10, t20v0, ath-1 and 2 in boxes. Nothing set in stone, just spitballing here.
edit* I love my t10, tbh I really wouldn't want to trade it :D

it is beautiful looking headphone :D also good sounding at least for me. it's hard to drive though. both hr810 and se700 also both probably lack of bass for some people. yes 85 is the one with float frame, single dynamic driver. i think se100j is the same with se100, i just look at the brochure it's called se100j, yes it's coming with adapter box, electret headphone.

that's very tempting actually, i should've keep some of my collections for the trade, at least i think you guys probably interested with leak 3000. but for my current collections, i don't have a thought to trade or sell it.but i'll definitely inform you if i want to sell or trade some of my vintage collections

i don't know about the other models but for aurex hr810/ rotel 930 it's 80mm in diameter. full circle shape, also on ear design and the opening is 25mmx35mm oval shape

We're talking about a temporary trade/loan, right?

Dec 7, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #25,457 of 27,137
Well let me know if anyone's planning on moving to Frankfurt :D
We can hold our own little vintage-planar meets... *wipes away lonely ortho tear*

Dec 7, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #25,458 of 27,137
And they're here! First impressions to come!

1207171211.jpg

Edit: Note to self: Don't open up the driver and take pictures of the diaphragm. They will start to buzz..

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #25,459 of 27,137
Well let me know if anyone's planning on moving to Frankfurt :D
We can hold our own little vintage-planar meets... *wipes away lonely ortho tear*
I live in the UK! Close enough? :D

Dec 7, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #25,460 of 27,137
Hmm weird. No more buzzing from the side I opened up. I PRAY that it doesn't come back.

General first impressions on T30:

The earcups are a lot smaller than what I had in mind. The only articulation is from the baffle holding the pads and driver which moves around just a bit. The forks feel cheap - I can definitely see why they've snapping here. Otherwise, everything else feels solid and durable. The dual adjustable headband system works well in helping them be comfortable. Stock pads are pretty meh though.

Sound impressions:

With stock pads: Seems to be warm below and neutral throughout the midrange. Maybe a bit recessed in the upper mids. Quite a bit veiled up top - I'd say a little more so than the HD650 as an indirect comparison. Seems to sound rolled-off a bit at both ends.

With Brainwavz hybrid pads: Seems to bring up the upper mids and treble a bit. Not overly so which is great. Keeping the warmth although the subbass is possibly a few db more present. Seems to be recessed a few db in the upper mids. Tonality reminds me of the HD650 which I liked but with less bloat. Not the most resolving, but still a very good amount of detail. Pretty forgiving sounding - hotly mastered EDM and hip-hop isn't too bright and harsh. Soundstage width also reminds me of the HD650. Oh and it's a LOT more comfortable now. More pressure along the front of my ears in comparison to other headphones, but not uncomfortably so. Now there's pretty much no articulation to swivel side-to-side.

Comparisons: (When I refer to the T30, I mean with Brainwavz hybrid pads on)

HE-4XX: Immediately more mid and upper mid presence in the HE-4XX which makes it seem a bit more vibrant sounding. More neutral on the HE-4XX while the T30 is more warm. The HE-4XX is a bit brighter up top. The HE-4XX sounds like two big balls of sound around your ears while on the T30, it's like a smaller sized ball of sound in your head. Basically, the HE-4XX is wider sounding. Bass seems to extend equally well while the HE-4XX seems to have more air. Both seem to be equally comfortable although the HE-4XX is about 40 grams heavier (HE-4XX with no cables attached - 405g, T30 - 365g; both measured on a food scale)

T50v0: My babies. My pride and joy. Basically, everything I've said about the HE-4XX applies with the T50v0 but sounding like a big ball of sound around your head rather than the 2 big balls of sound around your ears with the HE-4XX. I find the T30's more comfortable though. Less weight.

Overall, very happy. I thought my recently acquired HE-4XX will be my "kick back and relax" headphone since I sold my HD650 a while back, but the T30 quickly took that title. I can finally listen to poorly mastered J-pop without wincing every few seconds :)

Here are more pictures:

EMWdhlH - Imgur.jpg1 - 5AdneH1.jpg 2 - zhq5IHK.jpg 3 - RAFWxHk.jpg
4 - 3LrCKlj.jpg 5 - HF6NKh5.jpg 1.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #25,461 of 27,137
Fostex sure knows how to make an ortho, and have known for a long time it seems! I had some HE400S before, and they were the worst orthos I'd ever tried. HiFiMan makes a terrible product, IMO. :frowning2:

Dec 7, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #25,464 of 27,137
Exactly! It felt so poorly made, flimsy, extremely uncomfortable (didn't even fit me), and the sound was muffled. Like it was designed to play music with an underwater experience for people who wish to be mermaids.
Mermaidman 400s? :p

Dec 7, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #25,465 of 27,137
I mean I'm building a susy dynahi...:p

is there any susy dynalo? i'm not electrical engineer, please correct me if i'm wrong. most vintage ortho i think i have 50-120ohm impedance. that's should be fell in low impedance category right? which KG amps should perform better in that scenario, dynalo or dynahi?

We're talking about a temporary trade/loan, right?
lol my bad then, i was assuming it's permanent :D

Exactly! It felt so poorly made, flimsy, extremely uncomfortable (didn't even fit me), and the sound was muffled. Like it was designed to play music with an underwater experience for people who wish to be mermaids.

hifiman he1000v1 was okay, seems overprice though

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #25,466 of 27,137
is there any susy dynalo? i'm not electrical engineer, please correct me if i'm wrong. most vintage ortho i think i have 50-120ohm impedance. that's should be fell in low impedance category right? which KG amps should perform better in that scenario, dynalo or dynahi?
Yeah, there's a Susy Dynalo. Yes that's low-impedance I assume, but I'm not sure which one is strictly better. I do know the dynahi is known for easily powering a HE-6 though! I mainly tackled the ss dynahi because it was a challenge, to be honest.

Dec 7, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #25,467 of 27,137
Yeah, there's a Susy Dynalo. Yes that's low-impedance I assume, but I'm not sure which one is strictly better. I do know the dynahi is known for easily powering a HE-6 though! I mainly tackled the ss dynahi because it was a challenge, to be honest.

i see. i have a few low and high impedance headphones. so i'm kinda confuse right now, which one to get....

Dec 7, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #25,468 of 27,137
^ the T30 there due to open back, if you add in some quilt batting that will still allow some openish sound, but reflect some top end back you will be in business.

Oh and the sEKriT one there has been back up for ~3 or 4 days now :)
I hope you don't pay too much by getting caught in the thrill of the chase.

There's always buy it now's popping up under the radar here and there. Some known, some not known :)

Dec 7, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #25,469 of 27,137
Oh and the sEKriT one there has been back up for ~3 or 4 days now :)
I hope you don't pay too much by getting caught in the thrill of the chase.
There's always buy it now's popping up under the radar here and there. Some known, some not known :)

i knew it! you've must known this crap!!
you've must been using some kind of super secret search engine

Dec 7, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #25,470 of 27,137
i see. i have a few low and high impedance headphones. so i'm kinda confuse right now, which one to get....
Either will be fine. The dynahi is more fun though :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back