Orthodynamic Roundup
May 25, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #24,811 of 27,141
Why is there only 1 item for sale.
Are they saying repair some other one with that? I bet it matches up just great with an HP-1/100 :)
Makes no sense. Nor the cost.
Power specs sure look like it's a speaker driver.

Yup, sure looks like it was at home in the top end of some speaker enclosure.

May 25, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #24,812 of 27,141
So why is this thread so weak lately, nobody has mods?
Just please no toilet paper or napkin mods.

May 25, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #24,813 of 27,141

They have all seen the light and are saving for the 5 grand a pop flagship de jour that offers huge performance gains that only a marketing person can hear.

May 26, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #24,815 of 27,141
IMG_20170420_081130bc.jpg IMG_20170420_081130b.jpg IMG_20170420_080852b.jpg

I just modded my Akai ASE-40. Always preferred the sound when I covered the backs a bit so made some backplate inserts and added some extra material underneath. It extends the treble and lowers the mid-range, makes it sound more 80s, less 70s. The inserts are 3D printed and spray painted, I copied the Beyer DT1990 grille pattern. The material is red tie silk, for class, not napkin.

May 26, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #24,816 of 27,141
= not napkin :)
Those look incredibly good. Verrry nice work. And the red is a great choice.
Had I not known, I would swear that is a stock build.
Thanks for posting that up.
Classy stuff.

Reminds me I need to revisit the Dual DK and block most of the rears like MuZo2 did way back. I wholeheartedly agree with his assessment on doing that to improve the sound, much like you found here,.\
Added reflections are a bonus for losing a bit of the 70's sound.

Hmmm do I detect an Elega in the back also.
With the Grado style foams there was that scotch tape mod which seems removable ( it was on mine way back )= that consists of adding a ring or scotch tape around the outer flat edges of the foams to help contain the sound a bit more.
Speaking of Grado foams, these have cured a treble tizz and have now added low end and space.
Aftermarket pads of course. I have same effect both with the foams for the larger 1000 series, and also so the smaller series.
Never thought that would work , or especially this well.
I still need to make a slice so the cable entry slides in properly.

Can you guess what they are?
Sorry about the size and the resolution. ( oh good I selected UPLOAD A FILE then thumbnail image YAY )
DSCF9411.JPG

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #24,818 of 27,141
Those look incredibly good. Verrry nice work. And the red is a great choice.
Had I not known, I would swear that is a stock build.
Thanks for posting that up.
Classy stuff.

Reminds me I need to revisit the Dual DK and block most of the rears like MuZo2 did way back. I wholeheartedly agree with his assessment on doing that to improve the sound, much like you found here,.\
Added reflections are a bonus for losing a bit of the 70's sound.

With the Grado style foams there was that scotch tape mod which seems removable ( it was on mine way back )= that consists of adding a ring or scotch tape around the outer flat edges of the foams to help contain the sound a bit more.
Speaking of Grado foams, these have cured a treble tizz and have now added low end and space.
Aftermarket pads of course. I have same effect both with the foams for the larger 1000 series, and also so the smaller series.
Never thought that would work , or especially this well.
I still need to make a slice so the cable entry slides in properly.

Can you guess what they are?
Sorry about the size and the resolution. ( oh good I selected UPLOAD A FILE then thumbnail image YAY )
Yamaha YHD-3?

May 27, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #24,819 of 27,141
With the Grado style foams

Thanks for the comments, yes it is Grado pads on the Elega, it looked good, but they definitely benefit from having the sound contained more so they're now back to pleather pads. They still sound of their time, but they're surprisingly recoverable with some eq, they've been fun to play with.

May 27, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #24,821 of 27,141
20170527_171541.jpg

Just got this for 70 Canadian dollars shipped, about 50 US. Sounds terrible as is. Any advice on modifications. I plan on some kind of felt/foam sandwich with sorb anchoring the driver somehow. I love the crispy bass so I don't want to over do it. The thick smudgy felt may be replaced with some speaker enclosure fiber. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have ordered a Chinese diy cable for stereo conversion. Peace

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #24,822 of 27,141

Just got this for 70 Canadian dollars, about 50 US. Sounds terrible as is. Any advice on modifications. I plan on some kind of felt/foam sandwich with sorb anchoring the driver somehow. I love the crispy bass so I don't want to over do it. The thick smudgy felt may be replaced with some speaker enclosure fiber. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have ordered a Chinese diy cable for stereo conversion. Peace
you could make it cordless

May 28, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #24,824 of 27,141
[deleted - this website is very much broken on mobile phones]

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #24,825 of 27,141

Just got this for 70 Canadian dollars shipped, about 50 US. Sounds terrible as is. Any advice on modifications. I plan on some kind of felt/foam sandwich with sorb anchoring the driver somehow. I love the crispy bass so I don't want to over do it. The thick smudgy felt may be replaced with some speaker enclosure fiber. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have ordered a Chinese diy cable for stereo conversion. Peace

If you don't wish to wait, you can simply add a new stereo TRS end since those cables are already two sided ( all the way down to the plug ), and simply need the jack end changed.
But you may wish to try a different cable with different wire anyhow.
Just one of those things that can get overlooked, you likely did notice already.
For sure they don't sound all that great in mono as it is now.
I think you will be surprised.
You're lucky they are not the HP-50"A" or some "S" variants that are single entry mono, those can be a pain.
These plain "50" models GENERALLY seem to have more low end IIRC. but things can be all over the map as far as that goes.
When you get them swapped over live with the sound for a little bit ( or don't ).
I imagine you are after some more detailing and top end?

Many of us in here have had good success with various types of quilt batting, which is basically a fuzzier slightly thicker felt material found at fabric shops.
A cotton/poly blend is great and can add some nice subtle dimensional effects while also giving you the more perceptible top end.= there is also a Bamboo rayon and poly blend, and even a rough silk.
It's cheap you will get a ton of it for very little cost.
Hold the stuff up to the light and look through it, maybe blow through it also if nobody is watching in the store :p
Use your zen powers and become one with the sonic materials, it will tell you everything you need to know ( I am only partially joking lol )
You could start with a small disk centered over the rear center pin of the driver and increase or decrease it. You can easily stifle these things adding too much in there.
Alternately you could try that in a ring arrangement on the outer edges of the driver rears, see what works.
Or use that in combo with something else in the cup rears.
It's cheap you will get a ton of it for very little cost.
I prefer it to the standard felts, but it can be trickier to nail down, but better results I think.

MDR30, Hutnicks and BMF might also have some other ideas for these HP series. Possibly dBel also I forget who has what anymore.

How's that for baiting new posts. They won't be able to resist. That's my theory anyhow.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back