Orthodynamic Roundup
Jun 9, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #24,841 of 27,139
Jun 9, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #24,843 of 27,139
So.. kinda like between the alpha and omega?
Where can I get more information about "The Way of Producing Sound" .. it sounds like some kind of audio-cult, in which case, I'm in.

Jun 9, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #24,844 of 27,139
Sonumnatti?? I hear they are secretly responsible for everything from soaring flagship prices to Asian knockoffs and the resurgence of vinyl:smiling_imp:

Jun 15, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #24,846 of 27,139

Attachments

• _DSC0158.jpg
    _DSC0158.jpg
    613.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #24,847 of 27,139
Here's some pics of my fostex T10 guts for those interested. Speaking of which, if you have a pair that you need to open up, you DO NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE CUSHION. The cushion is glued on with 3 strips of adhesive, whereas in between the strips there is enough give that you can expose the screws without pulling anything off. It's actually quite elegant of a solution, and I bet it will come in handy if I try to modify the dampening.
Anywho, inside the clamshelled plastic there's two things to be found. The proverbial yellow biscuit-IMG_3506.JPG and the stock acoustic foamIMG_3507.JPG

Since I have both the t10 and t20 to play with, I can say that the drivers are almost exactly the same, and also the two headphones sound similar to my ears, though still somewhat different especially on the mids.IMG_3509.JPG My t20 drivers were not glued together, ground ring and driver were floating, and held tight by the magnets above and below. The magnet pattern is very different, the t10s are quite pretty.IMG_3508.JPG

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #24,848 of 27,139
Nice pictures thanks. How's the condition/pliability of the black rear foam?

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #24,849 of 27,139
The condition really is very good, no dry rot of any sort. It's compressed into the shape of the driver enclosure, but I've found that if you leave it outside of the housing for half a day or so, it puffs back up to it's original thickness. The foam is pretty springy, but every other type of foam that i've tried has worse sonic qualities. The stuff I've got was taken out of a discarded polyurethane bed. So while the texture is similar, the usage as dampening just isn't up to par.
The yellow biscuit comes apart as like the pictures show, but comes together just as easily. If I had to describe the texture, I'd probably call it very close to dryer lint (without the pet hair :beyersmile:)

Jun 29, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #24,850 of 27,139
Never get tired of seeing old classics being reloved.
You tried out any of the damping schemes in this thread yet? I found them to be sort of a guide, rather than a rule.. just mod to your tastes.
Even after mods I need to pile on some EQ on top to get to the sound I want.

Jun 29, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #24,851 of 27,139
Never get tired of seeing old classics being reloved.
You tried out any of the damping schemes in this thread yet? I found them to be sort of a guide, rather than a rule.. just mod to your tastes.
Even after mods I need to pile on some EQ on top to get to the sound I want.
I've actually found that most of the cans I have are already dampened well. I haven't bought any stinkers yet. Other than that, i've tried to mod a few, but lack some of the dampening materials. I'm slowly collecting a bag of possible stuffs, and everytime I go to my local thrift shop, i'm looking at all the materials and considering which might do well as dampening.

Jun 29, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #24,852 of 27,139
On a tight budget, one extremely cheap material I've found to work very well as a damping material (it's one of my favourites) is called Thermolam.
It's probably about $1-2 per square meter, and it's the stuff the use under ironing-board covers or cheap thermal insulation for clothing.
If you've got any fabric stores nearby, it's worth checking out, and one meter of the stuff will probably last you years.

Jun 29, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #24,853 of 27,139
On a tight budget, one extremely cheap material I've found to work very well as a damping material (it's one of my favourites) is called Thermolam.
It's probably about $1-2 per square meter, and it's the stuff the use under ironing-board covers or cheap thermal insulation for clothing.
If you've got any fabric stores nearby, it's worth checking out, and one meter of the stuff will probably last you years.
Looks like fluffy felt. I'll look for it if I can, unfortunately the fabric stores are all few and far between where I live. I picked up some felt from the art store near me, but it seemed too dense, even though it's thin. I picked up some sorbothane recently, so that';s the next test material.

Jun 29, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #24,854 of 27,139
Here's another lovely set, the Victor HP-D70. Same as the Akai Ase-50.
IMG_3536.JPG
IMG_3537.JPG I had to replace the destroyed reliefs, the headband was cracked, there is still some white primer droplets all over the headband and baffle, as well as the pads. The cable was heavily frayed and battered, but I was able to reuse the same cable after cutting a length off of both ends. I haven't finished restoring it, but it's looking a little better. I used green heat shrink instead of the stock black. (I like greeen)
If you aren't initiated, these are not the typical push/pull structured cans, only the outside grill is a magnet, the stuff on the inside is plastic, possibly fiberglass or something.
Here's the magnetic bit- IMG_3534.JPG
They are surprisingly sensitive, work fine from my phone, though the volume needs to be at about 65%.
The dampening consists of two parts, a cut to shape bit of heavy paper balanced over the driver. It gives the low end the boost.IMG_3530.JPG Above that is a single layer of thin black felt. (the orange tape on there is just to denote which side was the signal, for when I rewired em.)

The sound signiture is unlike everything else I have. They lack impact in the bass, and actually the bass in general is there, but the sub bass is really forward and tasty. I would like to figure out how to give it a little more thump, but they have a ton of resolution. I've heard a bit of extra details in songs that I never noticed. (not all of it is good though!) I'm gonna drop the image of the driver itself in the driver thread.

Attachments

• IMG_3532.JPG
    IMG_3532.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
Jun 29, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #24,855 of 27,139
Here's another lovely set, the Victor HP-D70. Same as the Akai Ase-50.

I'm pretty sure the ASE-50 uses the standard two magnets sandwich. (as does the Audiotronic AHP66)
But the membrane and magnet used seems to be identical in all three.
I actually experimented on the AHP66 with a single magnet, taking the rear magnet out, leaving only one magnet ear-side and was surprised how well it worked.
Clearly someone at JVC has the same idea. Interesting stuff... I didn't know those were single sided.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back