Orthodynamic Roundup
Jul 10, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #24,857 of 27,141
some interesting trivia:
The HOK 80 ( H ermsdorfer o rthodynamic listener) also came from Hermsdorf. This hi-fi stereo headphone came on the market in early 1981 and cost 165

https://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.rft-geraete.de/Zubehoer&prev=se

also pictures of GREQ's excellent DHK8 :) ( the ones the diaphragm came unglued from aging poorly )

HA! I actually found the elusive and infamous WertherDVX :
https://translate.google.ca/transla...gspot.com/2009_04_13_archive.html&prev=search

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #24,858 of 27,141
*puts on nerdy voice*
Technically the 'K' would translate directly as 'head-listener' but an interpreter would just say 'headphone' for ease of understanding.

Nice links!

Jul 12, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #24,859 of 27,141
Hi guys, I recently purchased a pair of YH3 for $40 which I thought was a bargain, I really like the sound of them but I was wondering what mods are commonly done to them as I can't find any information on this thread easily as the search engine that was set up is no longer working and the wiki where all the recommendations were is gone now. also has anyone had a pair where they have notice the left side is slightly quieter than the right?

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #24,860 of 27,141
Hello, I have question pertaining the Yamaha YH-1000.
1. Anyone here has attempted damping? What kind of methods and what do they yield?
2. Ear pads. My original ear pads have deteriorated and i have them swapped with the Audio Technica HP-ESW9 ones. The immediate difference is obvious. Slight loss in warmness but vocals are much more forward sounding and has clarity. Not by much, enough to make a difference.
3. Any other mods attempted?

Thanks.
cheers bobby

Jul 13, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #24,861 of 27,141
You guys should search this thread more thoroughly before asking for specific mods. Everyone has to tune them to their own liking, but you'll find mentions of the different materials and whatnot, just by searching out your own model. The YH-1000 is largely untapped though, since it's the most expensive one.
As to the channel imbalance, I'm working with a pair that has a bizarre imbalance cause by different impedance levels. One side has a greater resistance than the other. For a small imbalance, you can try what GREQ suggested to me, which is run them at very high volume for a few seconds at a time and see if it "wakes up."

Jul 13, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #24,862 of 27,141
You guys should search this thread more thoroughly before asking for specific mods. Everyone has to tune them to their own liking, but you'll find mentions of the different materials and whatnot, just by searching out your own model. The YH-1000 is largely untapped though, since it's the most expensive one.
As to the channel imbalance, I'm working with a pair that has a bizarre imbalance cause by different impedance levels. One side has a greater resistance than the other. For a small imbalance, you can try what GREQ suggested to me, which is run them at very high volume for a few seconds at a time and see if it "wakes up."

Sounded like my neighbour's grandmother. But thanks anyway.
Cheers!

Jul 13, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #24,863 of 27,141
Jul 13, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #24,864 of 27,141
Jul 18, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #24,866 of 27,141
As I said it is difficult to search as the search engine set up for the thread is no longer working. I have found there is a difference in the signal coming out of the left YH3 driver compare to the right side it is much softer. I tried the suggestion of running it hot for a couple of seconds and that didn't work. I haven't had the phones long and they were working perfectly one moment and the next they weren't so any advice on where the issue might be and how to fix it would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Jul 19, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #24,867 of 27,141
To do a custom search within this thread using google, type the following into a search box:

Code:
{your search terms here without the squiggly brackets} site:https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/orthodynamic-roundup.111193

Jul 19, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #24,869 of 27,141
Why can't you just use the search function at the top right? There's a check-box for "search this thread only"

I think it's safe to assume that a significant percentage of head-fi members are still unfarmiliar with most of the new website's user-interface and it's intricacies (myself included).
This particular lack of knowledge or ignorance is not a sin, nor should it ever be considered such, and can only be rectified with time and simple education.
Let's try to keep it civil .__.

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #24,870 of 27,141
Has anyone been lucky enough to pick up a vintage ortho from a thrift store or at a garage sale?

I've been looking around from time to time, but nothing of note.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back