Orthodynamic Roundup
Sep 5, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #24,196 of 27,156
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/420490/show-us-your-vintage-headphones/1470#post_11592576

Does anyone around here actually own one?

The measurements aren't too promising.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/YamahaYH5M.pdf

I don't think that would actually stop any of us wanting one though. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/111193/orthodynamic-roundup/14595#post_6703451

Sep 5, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #24,198 of 27,156
  How did it sound?

That question never gets answered. 
ph34r.gif

Sep 5, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #24,200 of 27,156
  humm 20mm ortho drivers can't sound good IMO, anyway these look like a torture instrument and are too pricey to be worth the gamble.

The only gamble is if you somehow overpay by a big margin.
Otherwise these seem to be a sound investment or you'll at least break-even on resale.

Sep 5, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #24,201 of 27,156
Sep 5, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #24,202 of 27,156
Hi again guys, Fiddling about with the damping on my T10s and I notice that the recommended damping is aussie felt and smeggy felt. could someone tell me what exactly smeggy felt is , I presume aussie felt is wool felt? anyone from australia here that can recommend somewhere down here that sells this felt?

Thanks

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #24,203 of 27,156
Hi again guys, Fiddling about with the damping on my T10s and I notice that the recommended damping is aussie felt and smeggy felt. could someone tell me what exactly smeggy felt is , I presume aussie felt is wool felt? anyone from australia here that can recommend somewhere down here that sells this felt?

Thanks

I asked the same thing a couple of years ago. They're just different kinds of felt guys found, liked, posted about, and shared.

Go to the art store and fabric store, buy a bunch of different kinds, and post all about ferrytrainhp1 felt.

There are many different materials and configs that work well besides felt.

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #24,204 of 27,156
Also, one man's recommendation is another man's 'coffee-spurted-out-of-nose-all-over-the-keyboard-and-monitor'... or at least one of these -> 
confused.gif
 kind of faces.
Tune it how you like it!

Sep 6, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #24,205 of 27,156
One trick besides feeling the material by hand, is hold it up to a bright light source and see how transparent it might be, plus you can try to blow through it and get a feel for it that way.
No I am not joking but try to do it when nobody is looking at you or they will think you are blowing your nose and will make you buy the whole roll.

You could  try PSI and also Psychometry on it but unless you are advanced in that it is unreliable.

It's just anything that you get a hunch will work.
try to think to yourself:  ok if I was sound, how would I like this fabric...

T10 can be overdamped easily IMO  it does not have to be thick, but each material will have it's sonic effects.

Have a look for some Legacy cotton quilt batting or similar thinner fuzzier felts, which you can always layer.

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #24,206 of 27,156
 aussie felt and smeggy felt. could someone tell me what exactly ... felt is 

As BMF says, it was just felt ..... or was it. These had stories behind them and conjure up all sorts of fantasy that truly captured the sound. 

aussie felt - quite right that it originated down under but the story goes that an eccentric italian designer ( clothing? ) took fancy to this thick sorta yellow australian wool felt and wanted his entire studio wallpapered with it. Legend has it that once the task was done, he had moved on to mermaid scales and had the entire lot pulled down and thrown in the dumpster. The remaining untouched roll ended up in in a small store down a back alley in Milan. Only intrepid ortho wool sniffers could have found the truffle. 

smeggy felt - now here my memory may have got the better of me but I believe this was non other than the finest cashmere ( nope memory returned before I hit submit but the story laid before you is far more entertaining and so it must go on ...) felt that was originally manufactured by Moorbrook ( England ) in the late 40s - 50s. It was used by an Italian tailor (the one and the same back alley dweller) to make bespoke suits for those who sought only the finer things in life (many of which can be found down dark alleyways). Our intrepid truffler managed to nose this one out too and fortunately for him, there was not enough cloth left to make a suit and thus the kindly tailor took pity on this crazed orthowarbler and allowed the man some yarn. 

just felt .... let me go and sniff some of the felt of legends and let the music fill my mind 
..dB

so back to the real smeggy felt - this was a thick dense deep grey felt not unlike the old underfloor felt. It was mostly cr@p and hardly ever produced the sound you were after , Moorbrook and Auzzie on the other hand were a whole lot better. 

Sep 7, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #24,208 of 27,156
dBel that deserves to be placed in the wiki, or we will run the risk of history and ortho lore like that being lost forever.

Do fine moonlight harvested artisan grown cottons help, or the finest lignins and silicate weaves from tall eastern asian swaying timber bamboos grown next to the White Cloud Temple? ( yes that is a real place )= yes they do.
 Both give a mystical inflection to my mods from experience. One is a deep sombre yet refreshing and primal result, while the other is more etheric and a feeling of being fused with the 5 elements , much like the feeling of the taoist microcosmic orbit.

Waiting on some Sasquatch hair to use as acoustic filler.
This should add tremendous weight and body to the presentation, and the soundstage I feel will be both incredibly tall and wide increasing the overall footprints of the recordings.
A much more gutteral aspect with a serious punch.

Pop bottle derived synthoid weaves will likely give the sound a bit of gritty, hard, cold urbanity which might fit best with artificially created electronic, or heavy urban beats music.

In the end it is all about trial and error, the possibilities are endless for what to try out.
Maybe someone will discover something new again.

Sep 8, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #24,210 of 27,156
I haven't posted in this thread in awhile, but I thought I'd drop in to say I still have no regrets with keeping my Fostex T30 mod as my main backup headphones. I compared them against my Omega II Mk I's the other day with my new DAC/Amp and they still held up extremely well. The soundstage was quite a bit smaller, and it wasn't quite as clear. But for $150 vs. $1000, the leap was not as great as some might guess.

I think I like the SR-007's so much because they're similarly dark to a lot of the old orthos. Too much brightness gives me a headache.

Anyway, I guess I'm just saying keep on keepin' on. When guys here say proper damping can bring you near the realm of stat speed, they're not lying. And thanks again for the suggestion to use the nice Sony XB500 cushions for comfort and to help give some ear space to even out that bass hump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back