Orthodynamic Roundup
Aug 31, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #24,181 of 27,141
  Good point = no idea here.
popcorn.gif
other than the wiki I have forgotten what I read here already
Such a strange design the rear cups are simply a shroud.

They (ID1) sound good :). Slightly bright top end, good strong bass. Midrange not as 'luscious' as a yamaha, but clear. 
Regarding driver rattle, I think defectiveaudiocomponent and sachu experienced this and came up with some solutions in the past. I can't remember what they were, but could be worth PM'ing them.

I used the stock damping, it's pretty good tbh. I think at times I only used 1 damping pad rather than 2. The main thing is they really need a lot of power to sing. I used to drive them directly out of my vintage Cyrus 1 speaker amp. One of my backburner projects (sitting there for years....) is to make this driver more efficient. 

MuZo2: no the drivers are not like NAD and Foxtex. Although they were made by Rank, which was the same driver developer. The ID1 drivers are a corrugated rectangle, suspended on 2 ends only, with a very weak magnet structure (a bit like fridge magnet sheet with holes punched in it..)

Sep 1, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #24,188 of 27,141
  Hi Guys,
I have Just received my Fostex T10 I snagged on eBay for $125AUD, good deal?  I have a pair of anastrophic? ( black box ) yamaha HP1s and I am curious about which cans have the best potential sound quality?

Yeah, that's a decent price if it's in good shape.

I think Fostex are better overall, but I'm biased since I prefer full-size headphones over on-ears every time
Also my experience in Yamaha is limited to 2 headphones (HP-3 and HP-2) both of which I didn't enjoy very much due to insufficient frequency extension (I prefer elevated sub-bass).

I did try modding a T20V2, and it comes fairly close to a properly modded T20/40/50RPMKII, although the driver is clearly less agile when playing complex music.
I easily prefer my NAD-RP18 (T50 variant) over all of them, but it has unique self-made earpads which have a strong affect on the sound and comfort as it makes them over-ear headphones.

Often 'better' is subjective, but if we're talking T10 vs. HP1 potential, the HP1 will win.

Sep 1, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #24,189 of 27,141
Low end rattle on the ID1 is still there but when i press very hard on the metal cover it lessens to near nothing, so I will file these  away and mess with them later, lost interest for now. Taking apart the drivers looks to be a hassle with those tiny wires.

Sep 1, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #24,190 of 27,141

Does anyone here have a working ID1 in proper shape? 

Stock , what blasphemy is this you speak of!  I guess i could allow you the leeway of "proper shape". Mine are indeed in proper shape and sound marvelously rich with deep bass and tinkly highs. :) 

many thought that they were the epitome of how orthos should sound ( the original ) but they had to be driven by a behemouth power amp , BUT modern orthos have proven to be far more capable in their technical abilities, so no contest 

..dB

Sep 5, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #24,193 of 27,141
drivers look like a mini-SFI hah, what's their diameter again?

do they also suffer from the same dynamics compression as all 38mm SFI drivers(even yamie OEM's for that matter)?

Sep 5, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #24,194 of 27,141
  drivers look like a mini-SFI hah, what's their diameter again?

do they also suffer from the same dynamics compression as all 38mm SFI drivers(even yamie OEM's for that matter)?

Does anyone around here actually own one?

The measurements aren't too promising.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/YamahaYH5M.pdf

I don't think that would actually stop any of us wanting one though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back