Orthodynamic Roundup
Jul 23, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #23,371 of 27,138
I'm thinking I might even just sell them. Don't have too much time to spare these days to play with modding, and a bit of extra cash never hurts. Or just trade them for other gear maybe.

Jul 24, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #23,372 of 27,138
  no WAY! i think those are some of the best looking vintage orthos ever made. No joke.
Wonder if you can put a very tiny tiny bit of silicone grease on those hinge points. Thhe stuff doesn't ruin plastic as far as I know since plumbers use it. It's super cheap.
Now you need an HP-50 to keep the colour scheme rolling along.

Well then, don't let me to try to dissuade you!
Yes, silicone grease is 100% safe for plastics.  I'll give it a try. 
An HP-50 wasn't on my list, but then, I don't actually have a list so maybe.  These are actually pretty worthy.

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #23,373 of 27,138
I was wondering I currently have Mad Dogs, but I also own Yamaha HP-1s, HP-2, and YH-3. I'm interested in modding them. Do you think it's pointless to keep all three orthos when I already have the Mad Dogs?

I'm thinking of at least selling the YH-3s since they seem to be lowest quality ortho out of the three.

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #23,374 of 27,138
Today I found a Yamaha c-6 preamp at a thrift store for 25. Thought about it for quite awhile because I wasn't finding much info on the internet except for 2 of them on eBay for $200 and $350. So I bought it with the plan of using its phono preamp mostly. Well got it home and set up, WOW! The headphone out is very good. Powers my hd600 at half volume at ear blasting levels. It has so many ways to eq it and sounds very good for used gear. Lucky me , I know.
My curiosity is that I think it's about a 1980-81 and I wonder if they built it with their ortho dynamic line in mind. I have yet to use it with anything other than hd600, but when I get a chance I'm gonna pull out my hifiman he5le and listen some more. If it powers those I'm sure it could power yh1000.

Jul 31, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #23,375 of 27,138
  I was wondering I currently have Mad Dogs, but I also own Yamaha HP-1s, HP-2, and YH-3. I'm interested in modding them. Do you think it's pointless to keep all three orthos when I already have the Mad Dogs?

I'm thinking of at least selling the YH-3s since they seem to be lowest quality ortho out of the three.

Aren't Mad dogs and Yamaha different in sound signature? I think fostex have dry mids while Yamaha have lush mids which cant be found in other orthos.

Aug 1, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #23,376 of 27,138
Hi guys, just received Victor HP-D50 few days ago and want to open them to recable (they sound not bassy for me, and hoping that it can be because of bad wire condition).
P.S. I have unscrewed the three screws under pad, but I cant take them apart.

Aug 1, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #23,377 of 27,138
  Hi guys, just received Victor HP-D50 few days ago and want to open them to recable (they sound not bassy for me, and hoping that it can be because of bad wire condition).
P.S. I have unscrewed the three screws under pad, but I cant take them apart.

That was you then, these are from Japan just recently?

iQEM should be in soon he will know how.

Aug 1, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #23,379 of 27,138
  Yeah seems from Yahoo auctions from last week?

Bidding war against an ortho thread member, recipe for disaster. I somehow put a limit on myself and let it be.

Aug 1, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #23,382 of 27,138

I don't mean to rub it in but if you keep hunting for very rare vintage orthos you'll mostly end up with useless bass-shy phones IMHO....been there, tried that
triportsad.gif

These are collectors items, the same way some ppl hoard stamps or beer caps but most of them are a sheer waste of time and money if BASS oughta be on the list.

Aug 1, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #23,383 of 27,138

I don't mean to rub it in but if you keep hunting for very rare vintage orthos you'll mostly end up with useless bass-shy phones IMHO....been there, tried that
triportsad.gif

These are collectors items, the same way some ppl hoard stamps or beer caps but most of them are a sheer waste of time and money if BASS oughta been on the list.

Bass-shy?
Yamaha HP-3 , PMB, Dual, NAD are bass heavy if you are after bass.

Aug 1, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #23,384 of 27,138

Bass-shy?
Yamaha HP-3 , PMB, Dual, NAD are bass heavy if you are after bass.

You could add Hok-80 to the list, but only the Dual's I would consider to be somewhat rare, and the NAD kinda rare...
but I would classify it as being more in the category of 'prohibitively expensive' as it does pop up from time to time.

HP3 and PMB are sort of a young-ortho-heads staple diet. 

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #23,385 of 27,138
I won them about month ago, they are not bass shy, just little bit less bass than my redamped ATH-2 and stock YHE50. But I guess it also can be because of weak amping. Still, first if all I want to recable them because of corroded cooper, especially on ground lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back