Orthodynamic Roundup
Jun 14, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #23,207 of 27,146
  Replacing cheapo dynamic with ortho driver from watson mod 930

Is that the Nakamichi-Momentum lookalike or the super-cheap clone I've seen on British websites?

Jun 14, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #23,209 of 27,146
  Replacing cheapo dynamic with ortho driver from watson mod 930

Excellent choice. Was curious about the Nakamichi clones as GREQ mentioned. How do they sound in stock dynamic form?

Do you have any pictures of the inside of the cups?
Also they are a 40mm driver stock?
( I see the pads have some nice holes in them too )

Jun 15, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #23,210 of 27,146
Hey guys, been lurking for a little while and I have a dilemma. I'm getting more and more interested when reading about the potential of the vintage Yamaha orthos. There is a local audio shop near where I live where I went to try some speakers and headphones and what do you know? They had some YH-1 (or HP-1, doesn't really matter) on display. I tried them on and I was instantly blown away from trying my first pair of ortho's. They were on sale for $200, and I haven't made a decision yet. I also saw a pair of YH-100's on ebay for around $250, and I've read that they require some modding to make them sound their best. What do you guys think I should do? Buy the YH-1's and refurbish them (the owner is a great guy), or go for the YH-100's and mod them? Also, I've been scouring this thread and haven't been able to find good pictures/description of how to add damping to the YH-100 to make it better. Could anyone help me out?

Jun 15, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #23,211 of 27,146
Or you could get the Hifiman he400 for $ 250 or less. Those prices you state are top end prices and you're taking a chance with old used gear IMO. I liked my yh100 a lot but they hurt my ears after very little time listening. They were heavy too. Now I have hifiman he5le and they are the best of both worlds, ortho and comfortable. Sound amazing too.

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #23,212 of 27,146
Or you could get the Hifiman he400 for $ 250 or less. Those prices you state are top end prices and you're taking a chance with old used gear IMO. I liked my yh100 a lot but they hurt my ears after very little time listening. They were heavy too. Now I have hifiman he5le and they are the best of both worlds, ortho and comfortable. Sound amazing too.

Would the T50rp ZMF modded (carbon rejack V1) be worth the money?

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #23,213 of 27,146
You can find the HP/YH1 for quite a lot cheaper than 200. If that's what you heard and liked it that much, it can only improve from there with a few tweaks, easy to open them up and countless modding instructions in here.
You already know them in stock(? are they stock? ) form, have actually seen and tried them. Right there you are ahead of many people who get things blind.
I'd say save some $ compared to the shop price and get a set.
With the 100's it's a gamble on whether you will like what you end up with. Don't discount the HP/YH1 series as lesser due to the model #.

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #23,215 of 27,146
I've had some trouble finding them for better prices, as there is only the one shop near where I live that even carries audiophile grade headphones, and I haven't seen any on eBay for cheaper in the weeks I've been looking.

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #23,216 of 27,146
There's a very minor difference with some of  the HP/YH models some have a magnet assmebly that is a touch more sensitive ( only 2 DB more )

Jun 15, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #23,217 of 27,146
BTW, what is it that they exactly meant by "wired in reverse phased" at http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/images/2/24/U70review79.jpg?

That the driver was reversed in the enclosure? Or that i was really wired with + on - and - on +?

How to be sure that they are wired properly then?  I already read the same story for another vintage ortho, can't recall which one.

This document shows the right wiring for the HP1, IIRC when seeing the cup-side of a SFI the left solder pad is +?

you could get the Hifiman he400 for $ 250 or less

The HE400 supposedly comes with recessed mids.

Jun 15, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #23,218 of 27,146
  I saw those did you get them and if you did how do you like them?

Yes I have a pair and I do love it. It is my go to phones. Works suprisingly good from the clip+ and wonderfully from everything else, and quita bassy for what it is, also isolation is pretty good better then expected. I was lucky to find a nice pair in eu a few weeks ago.

Hey guys, been lurking for a little while and I have a dilemma. I'm getting more and more interested when reading about the potential of the vintage Yamaha orthos. There is a local audio shop near where I live where I went to try some speakers and headphones and what do you know? They had some YH-1 (or HP-1, doesn't really matter) on display. I tried them on and I was instantly blown away from trying my first pair of ortho's. They were on sale for $200, and I haven't made a decision yet. I also saw a pair of YH-100's on ebay for around $250, and I've read that they require some modding to make them sound their best. What do you guys think I should do? Buy the YH-1's and refurbish them (the owner is a great guy), or go for the YH-100's and mod them? Also, I've been scouring this thread and haven't been able to find good pictures/description of how to add damping to the YH-100 to make it better. Could anyone help me out?

200 is a bit steep. Like new boxed samples should go for that kind if money.  on the other hand I prefer the hp1 to the yh100. I prefer my aniso stock hp1 to a very nicely modded yh100 I heard.

Be prepared to search for amps tho. Properly amped the my hp1 is magical and wonderful and ... Before i had this amp built it was nothing to write home about. good good but nothing special.

imho

Jun 15, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #23,219 of 27,146
  sansui ssl55 on bay

Just so you know, we prefer to not mention active ebay listings in this thread for obvious reasons, this said it's just an OEM ATH-2 this time
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back