Orthodynamic Roundup
Jun 11, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #23,191 of 27,146
  Not impressed, I think they have some peaks and valleys.
I have to check if there is really a ortho driver in there 
wink_face.gif

Well yep there is supposed to be, but whether it is any good is up to you. Do let us know what you feel after a bit ( or maybe don't so people don't go crazy on these )

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #23,193 of 27,146
Thing is though many times it may be warranted, just because it is vintage iso/ortho doesn't mean it's a guarantee it will be listenable or at it's full potential ( if it even has much potential ) in stock form, personal opinions taken into account of course.
Otherwise this mod thread would be useless from the start. Some of these mods are pretty in depth and excruciatingly frustrating for those involved in pinning them down.

I do still feel much of the old stuff is overinflated for what it is being sold for. 

Guess I am saying at some of these prices bashing is a welcome thing.

Feel free to slam me on this. Water off a duck's back
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #23,194 of 27,146
  Thing is though many times it may be warranted, just because it is vintage iso/ortho doesn't mean it's a guarantee it will be listenable or at it's full potential ( if it even has much potential ) in stock form, personal opinions taken into account of course.
Otherwise this mod thread would be useless from the start. Some of these mods are pretty in depth and excruciatingly frustrating for those involved in pinning them down.

I do still feel much of the old stuff is overinflated for what it is being sold for. 

Guess I am saying at some of these prices bashing is a welcome thing.

Feel free to slam me on this. Water off a duck's back
bigsmile_face.gif

Well unless you have some kind of cosmetic love for some of these old orthos there is little else to recommend them.
My personal take is at the 50 buck barrier. Anything over that has me seriously thinking that a new Fostex bought for the drivers to transplant is a better sonic and economic choice. As you mention it takes millennial amounts of time to bring some of these oldies up to snuff and that shies me off toward newFostexDriverLand.:)

Jun 12, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #23,195 of 27,146
Thinking back on the sheer volume of time I have spent toying with modding  I could easily have mastered Sanskrit ( that course is here somewhere ), transmigration, teleportation, middle management (Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy style) and a slew of other things by now.
I can't even think about it without getting anxiety.
ph34r.gif

Some glorious results yes, but,

Jun 12, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #23,196 of 27,146
Yes, but I would say even FostexT50RP drivers is hard to tune perfectly. Some vintage orthos you like them on your first listen else you have to put lot of efforts to get them right.
I think I will let go TDS-7 too, its a beast and would need lot of time to port or tune them in stock cups and to get right pads.

Jun 12, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #23,197 of 27,146
Originally Posted by nick n /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, that's because the market is flooded with OEM cheapo chinese dynamics with outrageous markups(Fischer Audio made that very clear) and the semi-DIY niche that makes orthos these days keeps releasing +500g headphones that cost a bundle(and it's like they never heard of the Bellini double-headband that balances the weight evenly, it took the HE560 for these ppl to figure it out
rolleyes.gif
).

Oppo is kinda showing the way with their high sensitivity dual-sided diaphragm 395g PM1, hopefully the PM2 will be even lighter as it's replacing metal by plastic and its price will drop once the ROI will have been reached(look at the Beyer T1 or Audioquest Dragonfly prices that dropped by 40%, early adopters must be pleased). 

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #23,198 of 27,146
Granted I haven't gone through that many, but I still think one of the best vintage orthos I've heard is the T10.

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #23,199 of 27,146
Going to start putting aside some money for the Oppo PM-2.  That's the headphone I'll get as introduction to Orthodynamics.  And for me that will be the pinnacle headphone, as the K712 should be enough for me for dynamic.

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #23,200 of 27,146

Waulta suggested that I re-post with a pic. All suggestions, or spare parts, welcome.

Thanks!

Did you end up repairing the strut or finding a replacement? Mine just snapped. I want to try drilling through the strut, tapping, and anchoring with a screw, but that seems a little risky especially since I have not done this exact repair before. On my YH-100 headband side where the shaft broke it looks like there is a very very small length of a metal pin exposed (not a screw). I'm assuming the pin was supposed to support the strut, but it doesn't span the length of the shaft. Did you see this metal pin with yours? I'm thinking I can push out the pin and replace it, add a little plastic adhesive and seal the deal... but I'm not sure if the pin can be tapped free. Any advice with the repair would be great... to save me time with trial and error.

Jun 12, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #23,201 of 27,146
Granted I haven't gone through that many, but I still think one of the best vintage orthos I've heard is the T10.

I agree. T10 and T30 sound best to me. T50v1, not so much...at least for the one I heard. The build quality of all three is excellent.

Jun 13, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #23,203 of 27,146
I love my T10 bought on the advice of the vintage HP thread off eBay.

That was me! You're welcome :3

T10's do very little wrong, and it's difficult to screw up modding them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back