Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 28, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #14,146 of 27,139
Nice to see the old woofey still hanging with the top dogs, 38 years old and still kicking ass
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll finally get to hear the T10 soon as well. Not sure I'll ever encounter the SS100. Seems extra rare.

Apr 28, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #14,147 of 27,139
Nice impressoins iQem.

The fact the bass is whimpering with your SSMH + ID1 is for sure that you arent poweing it enough. But you should have got a v.good idea of what it sounds like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll finally get to hear the T10 soon as well. Not sure I'll ever encounter the SS100. Seems extra rare.

I think it's more like the SS100 have been avoiding an encounter with you
tongue.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #14,149 of 27,139
It's amazing how the sound of ortho drivers can change with cup size. It's so easy to try with an east german RFT HOK80v2. I have attached the driver to the baffle together with the annoying ring dingus. It becomes a small chamber for the driver so that one can try the sound without putting the cups on. Just putting my hand over the back opening of the baffle transforms the sound, like it's some kind of dough that can be shaped with the hands. Close it completely, and all bass dies... move the hands in different shapes and the sound just smoothly changes into a new shape... weird experience...

Got the HOK all together now. Sounds fine. Bass is laid back and doesnt have that perfect control, but otherwise it's surprisingly good. I put the drivers at an angle this time. This headset is perfect for doing that. It's surprising what they achieved back then in eastern europe.

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #14,150 of 27,139
Thanks for correcting my understanding wualta, I really appreciate it.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm taking notes now! Could you recommended any books on this subject? It would be a nice summer reading.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awhile back, I facetiously suggested using flexible tubing to lead the backwave down from your ears to your shoes and releasing it there. Call it the Bass Drain.

Hey, that could become a trend setting fashion statement. You just never know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just putting my hand over the back opening of the baffle transforms the sound, like it's some kind of dough that can be shaped with the hands. Close it completely, and all bass dies... move the hands in different shapes and the sound just smoothly changes into a new shape... weird experience...

I can relate that with the HE-5. Placing my hands over the cups sucks away the bass completely, make an gap between my fingers brings it back. In fact, I found that I enjoy the sound best with my hand forming a dome over the cups, with gaps between my fingers. Does away with some feeling of "spaciness", but none the less, its the sound I like better.

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #14,151 of 27,139
Go to wikipedia for the education. Other than that, find some popular mechanics books or magazines. Not necessarily the "Popular Mechanics" brand, but physics related experiments and information geared towards the average-but-curious Joe

Apr 29, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #14,152 of 27,139
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent
Just putting my hand over the back opening of the baffle transforms the sound, like it's some kind of dough that can be shaped with the hands. Close it completely, and all bass dies... move the hands in different shapes and the sound just smoothly changes into a new shape...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ujamerstand
I can relate that with the HE-5. Placing my hands over the cups sucks away the bass completely, make a gap between my fingers brings it back. In fact, I found that I enjoy the sound best with my hand forming a dome over the cups, with gaps between my fingers. Does away with some feeling of "spaciness", but none the less, its the sound I like better.

You two have discovered my Open Palm Test for open-back headphones. What happens is your hand reflects lots of treble back into the phone and on into your ear. As it takes this reflex [that word again!] path, the soundwaves interfere with themselves, giving that odd, whooshy sound caused by comb filtering (ie, a comb-shaped frequency response curve is the result of this self-interference). Bass doesn't reflect so much because your hand is small compared to a bass wavelength-- the wave just bends around your hand and keeps going.

Real-World Conclusion: Reflections must be accounted for and controlled; if they are, you get handy little gimmes like the reflex dot. (..Do I hear booing?) If they aren't, you get excess treble, "echoey" (= combfiltery) sound, and yes, a diminution of the outside-the-skull imaging effect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ujamerstand
I'm taking notes now! Could you recommended any books on this subject? It would be a nice summer reading.

Skim any book written for recording engineers. They have to know a little bit about everything, and the books are excellent overviews of all the basic principles discussed here. From there you can move on to more specialized texts, but I'll warn you, there's not going to be much about headphone design-- you'll have to derive the existence of headphones from first principles. Right now I'm plowing through Recording Engineer's Handbook by Owsinski (ow!), which seems good so far. Anything by John Eargle is worthwhile.

You could also see if any local colleges are teaching audio production showing the use of headphones in recording and, if they're brave, mixing (hint: get them to tell you exactly why headphones have historically been avoided for mixing). If you lived in St. Louis, you could take a class from my old radio colleague Barry Hufker.

Apr 29, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #14,154 of 27,139
to BMF or Smeggy:
do you guys have any spare (newer) pads for T20RP MK-II or T50RPv1 ?
the pads (from MK-IIv.1) already lost some of the vinyls part cos of worn out...
if you do then please PM me for the asking price, incl. shipping to indonesia...

thx...

note:
my rank updated...
smile.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #14,156 of 27,139
I was messing around and figured out t20 screws can go through the black metal mesh.

I'm borrowing the metal cutters again tomorrow and I plan on using a layer of foam on the back of the magnet and screwing the mesh down on top of it. Since this will create a baffle inside the cup baffle, will the pos cup baffle be negated(like it isn't there at all)?

Apr 30, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #14,157 of 27,139
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll finally get to hear the T10 soon as well.

Yes, yes you will. I will get to hear the TPs soon as well!
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Questa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yay impression about my T10, i think that was the most ready-to-use cans in that moment.

Glad to hear you still like them I'd I'm glad to see they hang with the big boys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navermyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried other pads than the Stax on the T50RP? I'm thinking of the GMP 8.35 D Monitor, for instance, if they fit. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Haven't tried GMP pads, but the Stax pads fit on the MB Quart QP805 so they should work. I've used J$ Denon pads on T20v1s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iQEM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to BMF or Smeggy:
do you guys have any spare (newer) pads for T20RP MK-II or T50RPv1 ?
the pads (from MK-IIv.1) already lost some of the vinyls part cos of worn out...
if you do then please PM me for the asking price, incl. shipping to indonesia...

thx...

note:
my rank updated...
smile.gif

You can turn the stock T20v1/T20v2 pads inside out and they work pretty good. That was an idea from ourfpshero and I've done it with my T20v1 with great results.

Otherwise, no, I don't have any spare pads. If Sachu starts a group buy for the Indian O2 pads, then that would be the replacement pad I would pursue.

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #14,158 of 27,139
There are some inexpensive 100mm ear pads on e-Bay, from Hong Kong, which are fairly close to the stock T20v2 pads. The ID is a bit bigger. Initially I needed to put some foam from the front of some DT990s under them which slightly raised them and made a better seal, but once worn in that's not needed. They trade a little less low end for a little more soundstage. They don't flake like the originals.

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #14,160 of 27,139
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can turn the stock T20v1/T20v2 pads inside out and they work pretty good. That was an idea from ourfpshero and I've done it with my T20v1 with great results.

Otherwise, no, I don't have any spare pads. If Sachu starts a group buy for the Indian O2 pads, then that would be the replacement pad I would pursue.

no BMF, what i've mean for the T20RP MK-II...
it's for my friend, not for me...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back