Orthodynamic Roundup
Nov 19, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #12,467 of 27,180
bah..been going over this back and forth a few times now..there is a pair of ESS AMT 1B speakers available locally on the cheap for bout 350$..Wndering whether to ditch the idea of a new ortho headphone and go for these instead..any opinions on the ESS 1B?

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #12,468 of 27,180
Argh! So many temptations to go off topic!

Well, as Duggeh Himself will tell you, Heil amt drivers are just the coolest thing evar, and if it weren't for the fact that the 2-way ESS/Heil speakers with 12" woofars are one of the dumbest designs evar while being one of the coolest-looking designs evar, I'd say yes, grab 'em.. Okay, not dumb, exactly, but cheeky to an extreme. Outrageous. Okay, okay, grab 'em anyway, awright? There's nothing else like 'em, so ya gotta own a pair before ya die, so just... sigh...

Y'know how there are these headphones that had great drivers but in the search for an award for Coolest Design Evar, they kinda got cocky and made something that sounds good on paper but in real life there are.. problems? and you just wanna scream? That's the amt-1B. So go get 'em, but make sure the passive radiator (shades of AKG!) and woofer are original and have been refoamed properly so there's no voicecoil rub. Then when you get 'em, keep 'em away from walls. Get 'em up off the floor. Make sure you're listening on axis. Good. Don't move. They'll sound great.

And yes, you can damp the Heil. You can also retune the passive radiator to tighten up the bass. It'll feel so.. familiar, yet almost none of what you'll learn applies to headphones directly. Tons of fun. Do it, and don't look back.

Try to get the seller down to $275. As you hand over the cash, shriek "I regret nothiiiiing!".

Nov 19, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #12,469 of 27,180
Just received these in the mail
biggrin.gif

dsc8305.jpg

Thank you so much Smegster...
beerchug.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #12,472 of 27,180
Looks exactly like the quadraflex Q45.

Most excremental headphone ever to arrive at my house.

That screen is domed because of the tall magnet on the back of the cone driver in it.

Nov 20, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #12,474 of 27,180
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might be made by the some OEM.
smily_headphones1.gif

I should stress that the Q45 is a uniquely terrible headphone and makes an awful fosterfone.

The plastic is flimsy and squeaks constantly. The metallic ring around the grille is just a foil sticker. The grille on the back is literally window screen.

It's designed to fold flat, with one disc turned in one way and the other disc turned in the other. The upshot of this is that the stops on their struts are such that one side will rest flat against your ear and the other side will rest painfully where your ear would be if your head were a perfect cube.

They are utterly wretched and nobody should ever consider purchasing them for any purpose, other than perhaps to burn them. With fire.

Nov 20, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #12,476 of 27,180
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa. Sachu, that's a nicely mixed headphone from Smeggy. Which driver is inside them handsome pucks?

T50RP ones Waulta...Sounds scary good. Excellent extension on both ends, no nasty peaks, nice lush mids that i had always liked of the T50.
This thing kicks butt, hits those low notes effortlessly.

Btw, the AMT guy didn't budge from 350$. Also seems he already had a buyer for them. Anyways..keep an eye out for more such gems..they keeping popping now and then.

Nov 20, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #12,477 of 27,180
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiolancelot from Audiokarma 2002
AudioLancelot
08-14-2002, 01:49 PM
Headphones 1980 Test and Prices

I just bought a magazine in excellent shape - Consumer Guide - "Stereo Speakers & Headphones" Oct 1980. I bought it for a $1.00 ( Actual 1980 Price $2.25)

It has reviews, test reports , MSRP and the lowest selling price found on the following headphones

Acutex HTS-1
AKG K-240
AKG-340
Audio-Technica ATH-7
Bang & Olufsen U70
Beyer DT220
Burwen PMB-8
JVC HM-200E
Koss HV/X
Koss KO/727B
Koss PRO/4AAA
Nakamichi HF-100
Panasonic EAH 520
Pickering OA-7
Pioneer SE-700
SAE 7000
Sennnheiser HD-400
Stanton XXI Stereo Wafers
Technics EAH-830
Toshiba HR-X1
Yamaha HP-1
Yamaha YH-1000

Oooh we need a copy of these reviews!

Congrats on your shiny wood Sachu !
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #12,478 of 27,180
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should stress that the Q45 is a uniquely terrible awful flimsy constantly metallic utterly wretched headphone and nobody should ever consider purchasing them for any purpose, other than perhaps to burn them. With fire.

Inimitable invective. You brought down the room on this end.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
T50RP ones...This thing kicks butt, hits those low notes effortlessly.

That's where those low notes come from. Glad to hear it. I have developed a belated respect and affection for the little square driver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu
Btw, the AMT guy didn't budge from 350$

Swine AMT guy... In truth, $350 is not a bad price for one in good shape, but you have to inspect closely, and it never hurts to ask if a seller will take less. And yes, I do have a pair, but they drive me nuts, so I use its baby brother, the amt-II.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oooh we need a copy of these reviews!

If only to get MSRP figures and dates on rarities like the YH-1000. I doubt that we'd find the reviews themselves as in-depth as we'd like. I checked Google Books and didn't see it, so ask Lancelot if he'd be willing to share.

EDIT: Maybe not. He hasn't been active for the last 6 years.

Nov 21, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #12,479 of 27,180
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should stress that the Q45 is a uniquely terrible headphone and makes an awful fosterfone.

The plastic is flimsy and squeaks constantly. The metallic ring around the grille is just a foil sticker. The grille on the back is literally window screen.

It's designed to fold flat, with one disc turned in one way and the other disc turned in the other. The upshot of this is that the stops on their struts are such that one side will rest flat against your ear and the other side will rest painfully where your ear would be if your head were a perfect cube.

They are utterly wretched and nobody should ever consider purchasing them for any purpose, other than perhaps to burn them. With fire.

thx for the enlightment,i always thought the Quadraflex Q45 or another identical OEM would be a perfect fosterfone..now after reading your post i'll ignore em if seen em on the auction..
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 21, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #12,480 of 27,180
Finally got around to trying the 620's phono stage. First time I listened to any vinyl in over a year, forgot how much I loved it. Time to scour Craigslist for people dumping their old vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back