Orthodynamic Roundup
Nov 17, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #12,436 of 27,161
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YamahCR-620receiverIMG_0069a.jpg

Man, they do have those LEDs running bright! My reds are all fine, but my meters and a dial are out. I'll use the new aqua LEDs, but I'll throttle them way down. I don't need my room lit up by the meters.

Oh, and I think my T40s are fine, it was the right jack on my CR-620 cutting in and out. It's needs a little more DeOxit! Left jack is fine.

Nov 17, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #12,437 of 27,161
I found out about the CR-420 earlier. Looks very like the 620. The worst part about these BOTL receivers is the lack of flexibility, mostly in the tone controls. No switchable turnover frequencies, no midrange control, no ganged pots for separate left and right channels.

Nov 17, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #12,438 of 27,161
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis
There's a second MOSFET room??? Do the cats like the warmth of it?

There is, and they do, the little tramps, which is why I have zero cats of my own. MOSFET II is slowly creeping into an underused room at my son's house. Sssshhh.

Quote:

I assume you were just playing with the tone controls, from the pic you posted.

Trust me, I was twisting and poking everything to find what was causing the left channel to go all schizy. Turned out to be just that one pot. Dumb idea, Yamaha. I'd rather have the fancy 3-band tone control.

Quote:

And it seems like the seller replaced all the lamps... looking good!

The way I had to color-balance the photo, the meters look a nice pastel blue, but they're really a pastel glass-green, and yes, it was nice to get an old amp with all the panel lighting in working order.

Quote:

Now everyone should get a CR-x20 just to be cool like us.

What you really want is the CA-1010 (same style in an advanced integrated amp) but those are a little pricier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, they do have those LEDs running bright! My reds are all fine, but my meters and a dial are out. I'll use the new aqua LEDs, but I'll throttle them way down. I don't need my room lit up by the meters.

It's a 15-second time exposure, and the red LEDs are blown out, photographically speaking. The meters are nicely dim. Retrofitted LED lighting is the way to go if you can manage it. The laughable irony is we've been wishing for brighter LEDs for years, and now that they're here, they're too stinkin' bright for many of the applications we originally wanted them for.

Nov 17, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #12,439 of 27,161
Quote:

I found out about the CR-420 earlier. Looks very like the 620. The worst part about these BOTL receivers is the lack of flexibility, mostly in the tone controls. No switchable turnover frequencies, no midrange control, no ganged pots for separate left and right channels.

I don't use the tone controls and the balance is there on the 620, but I don't use it either, except to test even response or volume in the two channels.

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #12,440 of 27,161
Quote:

There is, and they do, the little tramps, which is why I have zero cats of my own. MOSFET II is slowly creeping into an underused room at my son's house. Sssshhh.

To think of all the good vintage amps there collecting dust... great way to keep them mint, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta
Trust me, I was twisting and poking everything to find what was causing the left channel to go all schizy. Turned out to be just that one pot. Dumb idea, Yamaha. I'd rather have the fancy 3-band tone control.

I don't use tone controls, since I think Yamaha got Natural Sound pretty much spot on in terms of frequency response way back when, but at least the bass knob has a decently low turnover frequency.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta
What you really want is the CA-1010 (same style in an advanced integrated amp) but they're a little pricier.

Now that I've looked it up, that is what I want... one day. One day.

Nov 17, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #12,441 of 27,161
Quote:

What you really want is the CA-1010 (same style in an advanced integrated amp) but they're a little pricier.

Hmmm... I really like the looks of the CR-1020 / CR-2020 better, but I definitely need to grab the CA-2010 schematic since it has the tuner section removed and compare it to the CR-2020 and CR-3020 for CR:Om-x20.

Nov 17, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #12,442 of 27,161
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan
I don't use the tone controls and the balance is there on the 620, but I don't use it either, except to test even response or volume in the two channels.

Quote:

I don't use tone controls, since I think Yamaha got Natural Sound pretty much spot on in terms of frequency response way back when, but at least the bass knob has a decently low turnover frequency.

A balance control is useless until the moment you absolutely have to have one.

Poor deprived kids... EQ (aka tone controls) is fun and of course very useful for testing and probing headphones and speakers. Put it this way: some spend hundreds of dollars for extra tubes and cables to get the same effect (ie, different sounds for different moods or genres) that others get with a mere twist of a knob or two. That's an unfair argument, of course, but it conceals a valid point. Yamaha had all the confidence in the world in their Natural Sound design, but even their TOTL stuff had EQ. The hyper-purist Tone Controls? Oh How Gauche movement didn't get started til later.

With speaker setups, it's fun to have different rooms, yet another kind of tone control.

Quote:

To think of all the good vintage amps there collecting dust... great way to keep them mint, though.

Cats sitting on your amps insures that they never get dusty. But to attract dusting cats, you have to play the amps in question, so I do.

Nov 17, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #12,443 of 27,161
Quote:

A balance control is useless until the moment you absolutely have to have one.

Poor deprived kids... EQ (aka tone controls) is fun and of course very useful for testing and probing headphones and speakers. Put it this way: some spend hundreds of dollars for extra tubes and cables to get the same effect (ie, different sounds for different moods or genres) that others get with a mere twist of a knob or two. That's an unfair argument, of course, but it conceals a valid point. Yamaha had all the confidence in the world in their Natural Sound design, but even their TOTL stuff had EQ. The hyper-purist Tone Controls? Oh How Gauche movement didn't get started til later.

With speaker setups, it's fun to have different rooms, yet another kind of tone control.

Most of the people I knew in the 70s with high end systems, had EQs.

Nov 17, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #12,444 of 27,161
I own cr2020, in few words I can say that headphone plug is one of the best in transistors world....I didn't hear anything what would be made of transistors and would be better than this
wink.gif
Well after recaping my vfet sony wega 4810 and put PIO capacitrs in pre amp path only this is the same class of transistors amp.

Tom

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm... I really like the looks of the CR-1020 / CR-2020 better, but I definitely need to grab the CA-2010 schematic since it has the tuner section removed and compare it to the CR-2020 and CR-3020 for CR:Om-x20.

Nov 18, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #12,447 of 27,161
Ow! my eyeteeth!

Good photo, Kabeer. It's got good depth of field and everything.

I don't know which Yamamps have the STK (named for the three-letter prefix of the parts' ID), aka "Darlington Power Pack", potted output devices, but I know that the STKs cause trouble when it comes time to replace them. Check AudioKarma. It's fully stocked with Yamanuts who have this stuff down pat.

UPDATE: A quick look on AK tells me the CR-2040 did NOT have the STK outputs, but the rest of the CR-XX40 series did, and that idle current isn't adjustable on those. Hm.

I'm assuming all the earlier lines have discrete outputs.

Nov 18, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #12,448 of 27,161
Is it a good idea to spring for a dodgily working 2020 for $100 (could just need a good cleaning+Deoxit) or do CA-1010s go for that amount? link

Need to sell my 620 if I buy this thing, dammit.

Nov 18, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #12,449 of 27,161
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it a good idea to spring for a dodgily working 2020 for $100 (could just need a good cleaning+Deoxit) or do CA-1010s go for that amount? link

Need to sell my 620 if I buy this thing, dammit.

See if it's still available first. Merrylander may have beaten you to it. The CR-2020s usually go for $300-$375 on eBay. The CR-1020s are in the low $200s usually. So, I'd guess the CA-1010 would be in the $250-$300 range if you can find one. FWIW, I'm downloading the CA-810, 1010, and 2010 OMs and schematics. Also grabbed the CR-220 and CR-420 info just because I didn't realize Yammie too the line that low. So the CR-x20 line had 7 receivers in it. Pretty sweet. I'll settler for the 620 and 2020 though. The 3020, while uber powerful, uses a completely separate Op-Amp board for the headphones. Ick...

EDIT: Let it go, hold out for a CA-1010 or CA-2010. I'm now in the CA band camp after reading the OM and will be scouring for a CA-2010.

Users who are viewing this thread

• 2ter
Back