Orthodynamic Roundup
Aug 27, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #26,627 of 27,139
@khbaur330162 Let me find my YHD-30i posts to see if I shared pics of internals. The cups need sealing around side edges (not on back vents). Are you using the Geekria pads? They have a denser foam than stock Koss pads. I used no extra damping. I have my set to @E_Schaaf and he has measurements as well which were very similar to my own.
Not questioning your measurements, just surprised by the outcome. AFAIK I bought same pads as you. I will try sealing around baffle edges.

-edit-
These are the exact pads that I bought. @Philimon are these the same as yours?

I ran out of blue tac. Will wait for more to seal baffle.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #26,628 of 27,139
Hrm. I went to the store and picked up some blue tac, but it made no difference sealing around the baffles and clips, it measures the same. I dont really care, the KPH-30i's kinda sucked, not really listenable for me, so now they are really good, just not amazing planar subbass, but still tons of fun.

Aug 27, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #26,630 of 27,139
Stop playing with play-dough. :) Buy these hobby sized sheets of damplifier pro from Second Skin Audio. $8shipped. I think SSA works with Amazon so they have Amazon checkout and fast shipping. SSA also sells the butyl tape I used for my KHP-30i but I woudve used damplifier pro if I werent out of supply at the time.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #26,631 of 27,139
No, I bought these pads before you sent the link in PM. You mentioned Geekria Grado pads for YHD's so I bought some for my KPH-30i's preemptively, but apparently not right ones.

Why will these other pads have better bass? Are they thinner or something? Not sure I wanna stick my neck out for these other pads... I just don't know if it will help me. DO YOU SWEAR I WILL GET MORE BASS? Haha.

Hrm. I guess the putty does get messy over time. This stuff is probably neater. Might also damp vibrations from the driver or something. Cool.

Aug 28, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #26,632 of 27,139
The Grado style bowl pads (by Geekria) uses multi layers of different density foams just like real Grado pads. The lighter density layers will leak your bass, and the thick bowl pads will add highs.

The Geekria donut pads which look like Grado s-pads but with a hole uses a uniform slightly higher density foam so bass should remain intact. More bass or your money back guaranteed.

Aug 31, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #26,633 of 27,139
The Grado thin pads came in. These things are tiny. They do increase bass considerably, but don't really help with the roll off, Idk what the heck I did with my build to screw this up so hard. Waiting on the damplifier pro stuff to redo the baffle seal. We will see.

2021-8-31 YHD-30i bowls vs thins.jpg

Aug 31, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #26,634 of 27,139
I remember the Geekria pads were a little bit large for the Koss baffle, like they werent snug like stock.

I’ll ask E_Schaaf if he’ll share his measurements.

That large midbass hump should flatten down and become more extended with a more sealed enclosure. You can apply tape to seal the baffle edges from the outside as a trial.

Aug 31, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #26,635 of 27,139
These pads are pretty snug, imo. Way more snug than the bowls, those needed the blu tac to stay in place.

Idk, I've sealed the baffles with blu tac in the meantime, look:
20210831_152001.jpg

This should be sufficient, imho, to seal backwave up. I even placed small bits of blue tac on the baffles faces where the clips are to make sure no backwave seeps into the ear chamber from those entry points. It's completely sealed... Measurements were taken with YHD-30i's in this sealed state. What is going on?

Aug 31, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #26,638 of 27,139
Yes, I bought from the link you provided. It's just the flash doing funky things I think, they are same pads as far as I can tell.

20210831_163846.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #26,639 of 27,139
Change your graph axis limits to match mine. There are going to be some discrepancies due to different compensations and rigs. Im using FABS (spelled backwards) compensation curve. And EARS are all a tiny bit unique. I had to tweak mine using common headphones and comparing. My measurements now are generally close to others using EARS on FABS.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #26,640 of 27,139
I have no idea how to alter axis limits properly. I hit some button a while back and completely ruined how my graphs looked and I struggled for a while to get them presentable again. Still unsure how exactly I finally fixed it, just trial and error and a lot of scrolling... But yeah I'm really hesitant to mess with my axis limits again. I'm going to reseal the baffles with damplifier and if that doesn't work I'll just accept my losses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back