Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 7, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #23,866 of 27,158
I wonder if the holes were formed in casting or if they were machined out somehow.

Apr 7, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #23,868 of 27,158
Modern magnet assemblies seems to be bars/grids. I wonder if that's a cost thing or if arrays of smaller magnets provides more consistent (or at least predictable) field strength across the surface.

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #23,870 of 27,158
Do you have a pic of the Abyss magnet structure?

idle thought: would a packed array of donut magnets be any more effective than a grid of rectangular ones? I feel as thought that could provide a higher density of magnetic material

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #23,871 of 27,158
I am currently working on some suspension type articulating headphone with the t50rp driver and changeable backplates.

Maybe sell a few give the Alpha dogs a run for their money. 

I tested out the suspension system and it works very well I am actually very surprised. I think I may have stumbled upon a concept that really works well. 

Apr 8, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #23,873 of 27,158
@planarmagnetic  If you're planning to produce these commercially, you'll have to be labelled as a MOT and you wont be able to continue posting about them here without first becoming a sponsor.

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #23,875 of 27,158
  Do you have a pic of the Abyss magnet structure?

idle thought: would a packed array of donut magnets be any more effective than a grid of rectangular ones? I feel as thought that could provide a higher density of magnetic material

no picture, but it is a solid magnet structure which iirc was cut with a water jet . I have been tempted to open them but the possibility of the magnet pulling a screw / screwdriver through the driver has little to no appeal . ( there are stories of this happening during development - hence the need for non magnetic tools ) My curiosity has not risen to levels of insanity yet. 

Apr 8, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #23,876 of 27,158

no picture, but it is a solid magnet structure which iirc was cut with a water jet . I have been tempted to open them but the possibility of the magnet pulling a screw / screwdriver through the driver has little to no appeal . ( there are stories of this happening during development - hence the need for non magnetic tools ) My curiosity has not risen to levels of insanity yet. 

Thanks. I figured water jet would be the most likely way to cut out section from a solid magnet without damaging the field strength. Is the initial puncture done from water jet as well? Or drilled/laser?

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #23,877 of 27,158
This reminds me of the new headphones coming out from AudioQuest. Not sure if they are released yet or not. Looks comfortable though.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/audioquest-reveals-upcoming-headphone-nighthawk

Quote:
  I am currently working on some suspension type articulating headphone with the t50rp driver and changeable backplates.

Maybe sell a few give the Alpha dogs a run for their money. 

I tested out the suspension system and it works very well I am actually very surprised. I think I may have stumbled upon a concept that really works well. 

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #23,878 of 27,158
The T50RP driver is pretty bleh anyway IMHO, everybody's cashing like crazy coz it costs $100 and some ppl appear to be willing to pay fortunes to have it modded with angel dust.

So any yamie head got to hear the Oppo PM3?

PS: Oh hehe, T50RP started at $75, then $100 a few months ago and now $130 apparently? Keep the hype up, it'll be $200 by the end of the year: camelcamelcamel.com/product/B0002MT6RY

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #23,879 of 27,158
I disagree, commercial modding aside, the driver is pretty good for what it is (100 usd/pair is great for people willing to spend the time to make it sound decent). The age of dirt cheap vintage orthos is long gone as well so right now it's the next best thing.

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #23,880 of 27,158
I disagree, commercial modding aside, the driver is pretty good for what it is (100 usd/pair is great for people willing to spend the time to make it sound decent). The age of dirt cheap vintage orthos is long gone as well so right now it's the next best thing.

+1 ... maybe try T20 drivers? *trololol*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back