Orthodynamic Roundup
Oct 10, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #23,506 of 27,139
Is it not just efficiency that is added?  Will that result in perceptible changes driving the traces other than higher output at the same volume levels?

Oct 11, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #23,508 of 27,139
I was thinking along the realms of damping factor, but then again aren't orthos immune to some level ( impedance yes but damping factor I forget -probablynot since that is the realm of ampies.). Doesn't seem exactly the case lately in some recent experiments. Some amps seem to grab ahold of the TDS-15 silver lighter tuned ones by the you-know-whats, so is that damping factor or increased precision on the amps part.
ARGGGH

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #23,509 of 27,139
Sold HP3 , had brief listen before sending, they were most sweet sounding headphones from Ortho headphones I have.
triportsad.gif

Next week will receive my HP-1
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 11, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #23,510 of 27,139
Is it not just efficiency that is added?  Will that result in perceptible changes driving the traces other than higher output at the same volume levels?

I remember reading a thread over at diyAudio about changing the fundamental resonance of electrostatic loudspeakers with bias voltage being the only variable. In my mind, by changing the magnet strength you not only alter the efficiency, but diaphragm behavior and, in effect, FR as well. Why? Little idea. How much in the case of two 55mm pinched orthos with a 3dB difference? I'm guessing less than minimally, but I'm also one to bundle the U70 and YH/HP-1 drivers in the same exact taxonomy despite their physical differences. They're just too similar for me to really care about in terms of sound. For me it'd be like writing off two Dalmatians with spots in different places as separate breeds. But are we even sure the magnets are the only variable here? I'm guessing that this is the case given what information we have, but who knows? Giving in to speculation perhaps Yamaha used slightly different manufacturing processes and/or materials between the iso/aniso variations. Also, if the driving force acting on the diaphragm isn't completely orthogonal could this deform the diaphragm over time? In other words, could "burn-in" be having an effect? Also, I was reading a patent on planar magnetic speakers recently and they said UV light can be used to tension diaphragms. Perhaps one pair saw more sun than the other and how would that affect the Mylar's physical properties? Regardless, I'm with MDR30, my guess is any perceived sonic differences should be attributed to variables other than magnet strength and the culprit(s) is/are probably more obvious than you may be led to think.

Oct 12, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #23,511 of 27,139
there seems to be some of the TDS-16 - smaller ones -that have a bit of mismatched drivers, not that one would really expect that from them and i assume that also goes for many old things as well as current.
 For instance, one black-badged modded set measured
L= 47.6 ohm
R= 45 ohm
enough to notice and have to fine tune as close back to balance as possible.

The Russian  thing I made with the tan Koss shell and T50rp pads measured
L=44.6
R=43.5

another set waiting for project measured 5.8 out of whack! Luckily I have the option to swap out and match.
  Just a curiosity here really, might be of interest might not.

Oct 13, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #23,512 of 27,139
Hello Guys,

Any chance you can help me with pictures to open a Peerless PMB8?

I would like to use Sennheiser HD480 pads, as they seem to be exact diameter match, I just somehow first need to remove the baffle to fit the pad.

Anyone ever done this? 

Thanks,

szerecsen

Oct 13, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #23,514 of 27,139
wow you sure you didn't steal that from some high end item????

Oct 13, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #23,516 of 27,139
I think he used "Rich Corinthian Leather" maybe :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back