Orthodynamic Roundup
Jan 28, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #22,368 of 27,141
  The thing is on one side it says ase50 and the other side says ase40.  Could it be the seller put either one for a missing side logo?  

Tak, your rusky 16 40C sounds quite nice for their size.  I little on the bright side but great vocal phone.  

Yeah.. no those weren't bright, not by my standards 
tongue.gif
 But I'm glad you like them.

Regarding the Akais, that's very odd, looks like it was either repaired or something happened at the factory, but those are definitely ASE-40s. How do they sound? 

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #22,369 of 27,141
  I think they are Ase40 from the look of the side.  The 40 have plastic black cover and the 50 have a a metal mesh?

Correct they are ASE-40. You should hit up the seller. If he had an ASE-50 badge to stick on there, then maybe he has the rest of the ASE-50 hiding somewhere too :wink:.

The Akai drivers are not made by Fostex, in fact I *think* from my investigations they were made by Victor.

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #22,370 of 27,141

I think they are Ase40 from the look of the side.  The 40 have plastic black cover and the 50 have a a metal mesh?

Correct they are ASE-40. You should hit up the seller. If he had an ASE-50 badge to stick on there, then maybe he has the rest of the ASE-50 hiding somewhere too :wink:.

The Akai drivers are not made by Fostex, in fact I *think* from my investigations they were made by Victor.

Weird. I stand corrected.

Hmm.

Jan 29, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #22,372 of 27,141
couldn't more agree with the famous ninja ortho a.k.a Kabeer..
i'm pretty sure insides of those Akai ASE-40/J must be a Victor made of..
maybe the same as Victor HP-D50 to be exact...:cool:
even the ASE-50 have been discover by ericj several hundreds page before...:p

for more info
http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=Victor_HP-D50

Jan 29, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #22,373 of 27,141
  Jvc had a ortho in its lineup back then?  Kabeer, is there any difference in the drivers between the two Akais?  Or just cosmetically different?

couldn't more agree with the famous ninja ortho a.k.a Kabeer..
i'm pretty sure insides of those Akai ASE-40/J must be a Victor made of..
maybe the same as Victor HP-D50 to be exact...
cool.gif

even the ASE-50 have been discover by ericj several hundreds page before...
tongue.gif

for more info
http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=Victor_HP-D50

Yup JVC/Victor made two generations of orthos (the second generation seems to only have one model we know of).

From what I can see the Akai ASE-40 = Victor HP-D50, and Akai ASE-50 = Victor HP-D70. Whether there are sound and tuning differences (like NADs and Fostex) I do not know, but the drivers seem pretty much the same aesthetically. The reason I think Victor made these is that they are a huge company, and they have a more comprehensive line-up with different style drivers. Whereas Akai (and some others) just have a few of these drivers in their range. 

All are different to the Fostex drivers.

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #22,375 of 27,141
  Pics of the driver.
The black round strip around the driver is plastic,  could that be the culprit for that funky mid and high?  It doesn't sound like any of the vintage orthos i have.  

Damn, that's pretty.

How do they sound? I remember ericj saying the ASE-50 was kind of "honky" sounding in the midrange...

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #22,376 of 27,141
Its weird sounding alright.  Lean, light, no weight to the sound at all.  Also feels "slow".  They should had made the inner hole of the pad a bit bigger.  My RP-18 greatly improved with new pads.  I really hoped this would sound great stock wise like the HP-1/YH-1.  Ohh well, another for the collection i guess.  

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #22,377 of 27,141
  Its weird sounding alright.  Lean, light, no weight to the sound at all.  Also feels "slow".  They should had made the inner hole of the pad a bit bigger.  My RP-18 greatly improved with new pads.  I really hoped this would sound great stock wise like the HP-1/YH-1.  Ohh well, another for the collection i guess.  

Or you could sell it to someone who no longer has a single orthodynamic to his name. 
atsmile.gif

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #22,380 of 27,141

Or you could sell it to someone who no longer has a single orthodynamic to his name. 
atsmile.gif

Which begs the question. Why?

Sold them all off. Had a Sony DR-Z7 show up just after buying my RP18 so I regrettably had to sell it off to get them. Sold the other two (YH-1 and Smela TDS-16) because I was hurting for money due to being laid off and they were the only headphones I owned worth a considerable sum to someone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back