Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Nov 12, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #1,921 of 5,414

Thank you for your answer.

In the term of price, Oppo HA-1 cost almost 1500 euro here in Slovakia, which is almost 1870 USD. I hate this pricing here in Europe.
Anyway, lets say that price of Oppo and price for Schiit set will be the same for me. I want to use it just for the headphones, but in future I want to connect also power amp and speakers to this.

I am mostly listening to rock, classic rock, jazz, blues. Worst about this is that it is not possible to hear any of these, so I need to decide just from other users feedback. :frowning2:

I am probably being overly pedantic here, but one thing to be aware of is that you can only use the Mjolnir as a pre-amplifier for the power amplifier if you're driving an amplifier that accepts balanced inputs. This isn't necessarily a small universe, but it's a smaller universe than the one that also contains amplifiers exclusively accepting unbalanced inputs. This is where the versatility of the HA-1 is nice; you don't really have to be concerned about the type of amp you tend to procure down the road.

I really like my HA-1 and it's perfect for the situation in which I use it. However, if I wanted to specifically optimize the headphone/music listening experience and money wasn't the dominating factor, I would choose the Schiit pair.

Nov 12, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #1,922 of 5,414

I am probably being overly pedantic here, but one thing to be aware of is that you can only use the Mjolnir as a pre-amplifier for the power amplifier if you're driving an amplifier that accepts balanced inputs. This isn't necessarily a small universe, but it's a smaller universe than the one that also contains amplifiers exclusively accepting unbalanced inputs. This is where the versatility of the HA-1 is nice; you don't really have to be concerned about the type of amp you tend to procure down the road.

I really like my HA-1 and it's perfect for the situation in which I use it. However, if I wanted to specifically optimize the headphone/music listening experience and money wasn't the dominating factor, I would choose the Schiit pair.

So bad I am not able to listen to both these options. :frowning2:
To be honest, I just want to purchase whole audio equipment, so I have nothing at the moment.
I am looking for some planat magnetic headphones and good dac+amp or dac/amp combo for not much money.

I am pretty interested in LCD2/LCD3 or maybe TH900 or HE-6. I just wanted to get some real impresions from someone who listened to these combinations.
Anyway, thank you for your answer, I am one step closer now. :)

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #1,923 of 5,414
  Both companies have excellent service and stand by their products. Both offer returns, though Schiit's policy sounds more like one that facilitates a trial whereas the Oppo one sounds more like "if it doesn't work to your specifications." 

Not fully understood what you are trying to say.

While Schiit has more user friendly language, it cost more to ship back a Schiit product at the same price level as compared to OPPO.

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #1,924 of 5,414
Thank you for your answer.

In the term of price, Oppo HA-1 cost almost 1500 euro here in Slovakia, which is almost 1870 USD. I hate this pricing here in Europe.
Anyway, lets say that price of Oppo and price for Schiit set will be the same for me. I want to use it just for the headphones, but in future I want to connect also power amp and speakers to this.

I am mostly listening to rock, classic rock, jazz, blues. Worst about this is that it is not possible to hear any of these, so I need to decide just from other users feedback. :frowning2:

The HA-1 is one hellofa preamp. If you are only using the HA-1 and not its dac or preamp functionality... I feel the amp section is one fine piece of equipment, but maybe not worth 1500eu. The dac is good, but not great, and I'm starting to feel like I'm just not a fan of Sabre dacs in gerneral, so take what I say with a grain or two. The preamp is quite great, so if you even for a minute think you will use the preamp features, then the HA-1 is worth the investment, especially for the convenience of an all-in-one box.

After getting 2 solid weeks with the HA-1, I would like to say, it's the best pairing I've ever heard my HE-4s, which are know to be picky. The HD800s on the other hand, just didn't show any better than my other cans running off the HA-1. I will be using a different dac to feed my HD800 through the HA-1 (when I finally buy one of these!)

Nov 13, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #1,925 of 5,414
The HA-1 is one hellofa preamp. If you are only using the HA-1 and not its dac or preamp functionality... I feel the amp section is one fine piece of equipment, but maybe not worth 1500eu. The dac is good, but not great, and I'm starting to feel like I'm just not a fan of Sabre dacs in gerneral, so take what I say with a grain or two. The preamp is quite great, so if you even for a minute think you will use the preamp features, then the HA-1 is worth the investment, especially for the convenience of an all-in-one box.

After getting 2 solid weeks with the HA-1, I would like to say, it's the best pairing I've ever heard my HE-4s, which are know to be picky. The HD800s on the other hand, just didn't show any better than my other cans running off the HA-1. I will be using a different dac to feed my HD800 through the HA-1 (when I finally buy one of these!)

I agree with everything you've said here, substituting Audeze LCD-2 rev.1 for your HE-4s.  I, too, have lost affection for Sabre DACs.

Regarding the HD800, as you've suggested, I found that using a different DAC, the Metrum Octave MkII, made a huge improvement while still using the HA-1's amp, but still leaves a slight edginess which I believe is caused by the use of negative feedback in the HA-1. The HD800 is a lot happier with zero-feedback or low-feedback amps.

After ten months of struggling to provide the HD800 with a solid state signal that doesn't cause fatigue, I've been using the $350 NuForce HA-200 as my HD800 amp, for about a month, now. It's a low-feedback, single-ended Class A design that's finally solved my HD800 woes (in combination with the Metrum Octave MkII NOS DAC).

The HA-1 remains invaluable as a pre-amp for my HD800 listening, and as both a pre-amp and amp for the LCD-2 rev.1 - which has never sounded better with 1.8 W rms per channel into 50-Ohms coming from the HA-1's 4-Pin XLR jack.

When listening to streaming sources on the iPad Mini via Bluetooth, the HA-1's ESS9018 DAC comes into play.

With my library on eight 64GB microSD cards (not yet full), I use the FiiO X5's two card readers as a transport for 44/16 and 96/24 files. Using the HA-1's remote control and the handheld FiiO X5 as a "desktop source" while stretched out in my recliner is much more convenient than fumbling with a laptop in the recliner.  The LCD-2 rev. 1 and HD800 couldn't be more different, but they compliment each other spectacularly and I've come to know which one I prefer with each album.

b54baa30_zilch0md_Recliner_Rig_x960sa.jpeg

Mike

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #1,926 of 5,414
alabrand said:
Alright. Seems like I will need to get a custom XLR cable for my Oppo PM-1. The Silver Dragon V3 should do fine, right? It's high-end?.

It is very good I had preferred silver over their blue dragon and over the Norne cables but only for the he560 which is a planar like the pm1.

but my second fav was the Norne Vanquish which may be cheaper and more impressive on that headphone.

so up to you to find out because with the hd800 nothing I tried beat out the Draug2 cable so it really varied on the headphone.

Yet all should be better than stock because most manufacturer not specialize in cable quality and type of winding. ..

And no I won't respond to those against the perception of wire having different "sounds" as to me it manly affects the perception of the music not the actual frequency response. :p

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #1,927 of 5,414
I will try another question.
If is here someone who already heard both HA-1 and burson conductor, which one you like better? I know that HA-1 have also balanced output, but I am curious anyway.
Thanks.

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #1,928 of 5,414
  Not fully understood what you are trying to say.

While Schiit has more user friendly language, it cost more to ship back a Schiit product at the same price level as compared to OPPO.

I had issue with my HA-1 that I like to post about. 
A happy ending of me being  extremely impressed with Oppo service repairs on my issue with the HA-1...

Mine was one of the first batches  ordered within hours of being available on the first day..
I was deeply hesitant about giving up my unit to have to ship it to Oppo because I love it so. .
Worrying about "turn around" time from NY to Cali.
Yet it had issues which could not be denied.
So due to an erratic volume (at mid point), and a relay switching whole unit off when a single ended plug was inserted. ..

So I sent it back to repair,
AND... Could not believe the unit was fixed in a day and sent right back so quickly!!!

They replaced the front panel area and UPDATED THE FIRMWARE to revision  1.3.2 ...

This is the point which may be interesting to those who have experienced any volume pot issues. 

Not sure  if it was the firmware update or the parts replacement,
But my HA-1 never responded with such accuracy and speed with volume positions as it does now(!)

The motor turns a bit quicker(!), and the accuracy is amazingly "on point" being able to skip 0.5 increments rather quickly and accurately without any skipping at all.!

So now "my precious" is better than ever, and shipping both ways was free  :)

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #1,929 of 5,414
^

Where do you get the firmware from and how do you update it?

Nov 13, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #1,933 of 5,414
I am using the USB connection from my computer and one of the nice thing is that I can play videos and audio on the computer which I can control the pause, forward, backward for chapters or tracks using the Oppo remote. 

Nov 13, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #1,934 of 5,414
I am really interested in this amp and im planning on using it with my sennheiser hd700 hooked up to my laptop, I'm new to audio quality and have been reading stuff saying this is a pre amp....... Will hooking this up to my laptop with the hd700 be enough for my flac music to sound great or do I need to purchase anything else? I have read the DAC is very good in OPPO ha-1.

Nov 13, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #1,935 of 5,414

... due to an erratic volume (at mid point)...

This is normal. The resistor curve of the potentiometer has a flat area around the 12:00 position, so the dB value update between -13dB to -12dB may take a relatively large move in the knob rotation. This is why it is generally a good idea to reference the knob rotation rather than the dB on indicator when trying to dial in an appropriate listening level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back