Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Nov 17, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #1,951 of 5,414
Sorry for bringing back previously discussed issue but i just checked my unit's info and discovered that it has firmware 1.30 instead of 1.32 as reported by Max134. So i contacted customer service by phone and was told that newer firmware does exist but no instructions how to do it and download link are available yet but should be soon so hopefully HasturYellow can find out what the new version does and expedite it availability

Send an E-mail to service@oppodigital.com and request the 1.32 firmware release. They will then give you the firmware and upgrade instructions. We do not have the 1.33 as this firmware is only being used by the factory.

Nov 17, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #1,952 of 5,414
Sorry for bringing back previously discussed issue but i just checked my unit's info and discovered that it has firmware 1.30 instead of 1.32 as reported by Max134. So i contacted customer service by phone and was told that newer firmware does exist but no instructions how to do it and download link are available yet but should be soon so hopefully HasturYellow can find out what the new version does and expedite it availability

Send an E-mail to service@oppodigital.com and request the 1.32 firmware release. They will then give you the firmware and upgrade instructions. We do not have the 1.33 as this firmware is only being used by the factory.

Thanks,just did it

Nov 19, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #1,953 of 5,414
Ok, just made a weird discovery... I have been having issues with the volume pot at around -13db, it is erratic and sometimes takes 3-4 presses of the remote to even move .5 db, note this is with non-oppo headphones. This is not new to me and not a deal breaker but.... I just plugged the PM-1's in and the volume pot works flawlessly. Why??

Anyone else notice this?

Nov 19, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #1,954 of 5,414
I covered this in a post 6-days ago:

This is normal. The resistor curve of the potentiometer has a flat area around the 12:00 position, so the dB value update between -13dB to -12dB may take a relatively large move in the knob rotation. This is why it is generally a good idea to reference the knob rotation rather than the dB on indicator when trying to dial in an appropriate listening level.

Nov 20, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #1,955 of 5,414
One of the things that I did with the HA-1 was to raise it up on 2 inch extra large rubber feet right under the main soft rubber feet of the HA-1. It really helps with cooling and the top is much cooler now. There are vents on the bottom for air intake. You could use footers or spikes if you like.

Nov 20, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #1,956 of 5,414
One of the things that I did with the HA-1 was to raise it up on 2 inch extra large rubber feet right under the main soft rubber feet of the HA-1. It really helps with cooling and the top is much cooler now. There are vents on the bottom for air intake. You could use footers or spikes if you like.

Yeah I did the same.

I mentioned it here however many refused to believe it works.
I have had mine on for 8 hours once on a hot afternoon. It was only warm.

Nov 20, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #1,958 of 5,414
Ok, just made a weird discovery... I have been having issues with the volume pot at around -13db, it is erratic and sometimes takes 3-4 presses of the remote to even move .5 db, note this is with non-oppo headphones. This is not new to me and not a deal breaker but.... I just plugged the PM-1's in and the volume pot works flawlessly. Why??

Anyone else notice this?

I don't think it's a matter of it working with Oppo headphones better/different than not-Oppo headphones as much as the Oppo headphones are quite sensitive and likely leverage a different range of the volume knob and show more change with each adjustment of the level. 

Nov 20, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #1,959 of 5,414
  I will try another question.
If is here someone who already heard both HA-1 and burson conductor, which one you like better? I know that HA-1 have also balanced output, but I am curious anyway.
Thanks.

Anyone? I'm curious about this too. 

Nov 20, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #1,960 of 5,414
^

I never had them both at the same time, but I currently have the HA-1 and had the Burson Soloist previously.  

I can't speak to the Conductor's DAC section, but can readily recall that the Soloist had a more laid back (10th row seating) sound with a smoother (less transparent) treble - better for poor recordings when using something like the T1 or HD800 than the HA-1's amp. Overall, the Soloist was "boring," for lack of a better word, mostly because of how the sound stage would pushed away, but also because it lacks the dynamic punchiness I prefer. The HA-1 puts you in the first row and has a lot more power, if your headphones need it.  Again, I can't compare their DACs, but as a pre-amp, I would think the HA-1's feature set does circles around the Conductor.

Mike

Nov 20, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #1,961 of 5,414
  ^

I never had them both at the same time, but I currently have the HA-1 and had the Burson Soloist previously.  

I can't speak to the Conductor's DAC section, but can readily recall that the Soloist had a more laid back (10th row seating) sound with a smoother (less transparent) treble - better for poor recordings when using something like the T1 or HD800 than the HA-1's amp. Overall, the Soloist was "boring," for lack of a better word, mostly because of how the sound stage would pushed away, but also because it lacks the dynamic punchiness I prefer. The HA-1 puts you in the first row and has a lot more power, if your headphones need it.  Again, I can't compare their DACs, but as a pre-amp, I would think the HA-1's feature set does circles around the Conductor.

Mike

I'm more interested in a comparison between the 4w Conductor top model (not Soloist). 

Nov 20, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #1,962 of 5,414
Has anyone gotten the front USB input to work with an android device? I have two devices that are both on Lollipop which has USB audio out built in. Using an OTG adapter I still can't get audio out to the HA-1. Anyone have better luck? Oppo said this should work with OTG earlier in the thread.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Nov 20, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #1,963 of 5,414
Has anyone gotten the front USB input to work with an android device? I have two devices that are both on Lollipop which has USB audio out built in. Using an OTG adapter I still can't get audio out to the HA-1. Anyone have better luck? Oppo said this should work with OTG earlier in the thread.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

I never tried an Android device on mine, but maybe someone else will chime in who did.
Another option would be to email or call Oppo.
They have top notch support and may be able to help you get your issue solved.

Nov 20, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #1,964 of 5,414
  ^

Mike

Interesting..... I've settled in using the Conductor DAC into the HA-1's amp .... for most headphones.  The brighter ones (like Grado) go directly into the Conductor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back