Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Nov 13, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #1,936 of 5,414
  ^

Where do you get the firmware from and how do you update it?

Firmware will be upgraded through the OPPOUSBAudio Firmware Upgrade (OPPOUSBAudioDfu.exe) application. It is found in the USB Drivers that you downloaded on our website in order to use the HA-1 with Asynchronous USB.

1.32 was the firmware on all shipping HA-1s had installed when we first released the player (including Max's unit), so his unit was not actually upgraded. We always do a fresh install of firmware whenever we repair our products, so the repair notes will always list which firmware was installed in the product.

As for the the 1.33 listed by john57, this is news to me, as I am not aware of a different version. The factory may have switched to a different production build (they have done this in the past in our DVD and Blu-ray players) but it is not something that has been reported to me as actually containing any changes.

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #1,937 of 5,414
Maybe a revised manufacturing change on a circuit board that required a firmware change to support it with no change noticed by the end user. Anyway it is the windows driver that I would focus on when there is a update. I have my IFI iDSD micro hook up with the HA-1 with the by the way using the analog inputs on the HA-1. I wanted to try a Sabre based chip. It came down with a choice of the Audio GD and this. After careful consideration I choose the HA-1.

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #1,938 of 5,414
Firmware will be upgraded through the OPPOUSBAudio Firmware Upgrade ([COLOR=282828]OPPOUSBAudioDfu.exe) application. It is found in the USB Drivers that you downloaded on our website in order to use the HA-1 with Asynchronous USB.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=282828]1.32 was the firmware on all shipping HA-1s had installed when we first released the player (including Max's unit), so his unit was not actually upgraded. We always do a fresh install of firmware whenever we repair our products, so the repair notes will always list which firmware was installed in the product.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=282828]As for the the 1.33 listed by john57, this is news to me, as I am not aware of a different version. The factory may have switched to a different production build (they have done this in the past in our DVD and Blu-ray players) but it is not something that has been reported to me as actually containing any changes.[/COLOR]

Is there another way? I have never connected my Oppo HA-1 to a computer. I have never used the USB inputs.

Can it be downloaded on a USB for instance and plugged into the HA-1 and then it updates like some of your blu-Ray players?

If not I supose I can plug in a laptop to do it. Seems a bit excessive for a update.

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #1,939 of 5,414
Firmware will be upgraded through the OPPOUSBAudio Firmware Upgrade ([COLOR=282828]OPPOUSBAudioDfu.exe) application. It is found in the USB Drivers that you downloaded on our website in order to use the HA-1 with Asynchronous USB.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=282828]1.32 was the firmware on all shipping HA-1s had installed when we first released the player (including Max's unit), so his unit was not actually upgraded. We always do a fresh install of firmware whenever we repair our products, so the repair notes will always list which firmware was installed in the product.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=282828]As for the the 1.33 listed by john57, this is news to me, as I am not aware of a different version. The factory may have switched to a different production build (they have done this in the past in our DVD and Blu-ray players) but it is not something that has been reported to me as actually containing any changes.[/COLOR]

Is there another way? I have never connected my Oppo HA-1 to a computer. I have never used the USB inputs.

Can it be downloaded on a USB for instance and plugged into the HA-1 and then it updates like some of your blu-Ray players?

If not I supose I can plug in a laptop to do it. Seems a bit excessive for a update.

How is it excessive? It's the same why thousands of other electronics are updated.
Only exceptions would be wireless or like you requested, usb flash, but the HA-1 doesn't support those interfaces,
so the best option is USB from a PC. Hooking it up to a laptop will work just fine, but since there is no new firmware, you can rest easy for now. :wink:

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #1,940 of 5,414
How is it excessive? It's the same why thousands of other electronics are updated.
Only exceptions would be wireless or like you requested, usb flash, but the HA-1 doesn't support those interfaces,
so the best option is USB from a PC. Hooking it up to a laptop will work just fine, but since there is no new firmware, you can rest easy for now. :wink:

It would just be easier that's why. Oppo have always been known for their ease of use. Installing a driver on a laptop for something I will never use is not easy.

Okay so no new update. That's good. I will leave it.

Nov 14, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #1,942 of 5,414
  That is good paying for shipping both ways, not bad. Received my HA-1 two days ago. Firmware is at 1.33

Hmmm... How does one update to v1.33? Mine is at v1.32.

EDIT: just saw it few posts up.
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 14, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #1,943 of 5,414
Looks like firmware doesn't matter at the moment and my unit is running sweet,
but I have noticed like was stated earlier,
that the actual numbers are not exactly linear.

So when I click up a notch it may jump a whole number or two but I will still be pressing between whole and half number incrememts.
So that gives impression of certainty and accuracy.
All I know for sure is that my unit seems perfect now.

Not sure if I explained that well,
but bottom line was my issue before fix was that volume was jumpy not able to decide the number,
and thus a portion of the dial had no change in volume..

BUT now it is very solid and quick in its determination of the volume setting. .
So my corected issue was a unique one not actually a volume accuracy setting..

Nov 14, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #1,944 of 5,414
The volume control on the Ha-1 is a ALPS 6-gang motorized potentiometer. The knob feel is not bad at all. You have to consider that you are moving six pots wipers plus the motor gear train. I have a ALPS 4 gang motorized potentiometer on another amp that have much worst feel in turning the volume pot by hand. Second I noticed  my HA-1 is quite the clacker with the relays. Each time I change inputs there is three maybe more clacks from the relays switching in and out. Products like the Audio GD has even more relays on their circuit boards. Since the HA-1 volume control is purely analog there is not much clacking I notice during the volume changes. Some manufactures uses a digital controlled analog pot meaning that the pot controls a digital controller which in turn uses a series of relays to control the volume and not the potentiometer directly. I do hear the clacks when changing from normal to high gain on the HA-1 meaning you are switching in and out some resistors on the circuit board.

Nov 15, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #1,945 of 5,414
Has anyone compared or also owned the Naim DAC-V1?  Doesn't have the latest and greatest DSD stuff but they are known for making very good sounding stuff.

https://www.naimaudio.com/product/dac-v1

Nov 15, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #1,946 of 5,414
The Naim DAC-V1 has a different feature set and it is not a balanced unit for some of my balanced headphones or inputs. It is not a pre-amp with analog inputs. It does not have bluetooth. Not sure what is the headphone output is rated for. Costs more. To compare the Naim DAC-V1 with something that has a similar feature set I would chose the AURALiC Taurus MKII. In the end I choose the HA-1 because it is a better fit for my needs and SQ is quite good. 

Nov 17, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #1,947 of 5,414
Sorry for bringing back previously discussed issue but i just checked my unit's info and discovered that it has firmware 1.30 instead of 1.32 as reported by Max134. So i contacted customer service by phone and was told that newer firmware does exist but no instructions how to do it and download link are available yet but should be soon so hopefully HasturYellow can find out what the new version does and expedite it availability

Users who are viewing this thread

Back