Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Nov 11, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #1,906 of 5,414
Or we might say, "The HA-1's DAC and amp is too fatiguing when heard with the HD800."  :wink:

But the HA-1 indeed sounds great with every other headphone in my inventory.

sounding great with every other headphone seems to alude to the issue being with the headphone.

Ever since I did the anax2.0(partially just over the metal ring) I was freed from my problem with the hd800 and find the hd800/Draug2/HA-1 combo incredible.

Completely agree

Nov 11, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #1,907 of 5,414
  I think that the XLR for the Oppo PM-1 is optional and extra cost. Since the HA-1 has all balanced circuity it is best to use the the XLR outputs when possible to maximize performance. I think of the HA-1 as headphone pre/amp first with DAC added to it.     

Since I can't get the XLR cable in my country (Sweden) I think I may have to get a custom XLR cable. Any recommendations? I don't really have a budget but say $500 max or 5,000SEK including shipping. Is the Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 good? They have one specifically for Oppo PM-1.

Nov 11, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #1,908 of 5,414
I think that the XLR for the Oppo PM-1 is optional and extra cost. Since the HA-1 has all balanced circuity it is best to use the the XLR outputs when possible to maximize performance.    

Is true if the source is either analog or single-ended digital?

Nov 11, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #1,909 of 5,414
Is true if the source is either analog or single-ended digital?

With digital inputs, once the digital signal reaches the DAC  and processed, it is converted by the same DAC chip to the balanced analog signals for the rest of HA-1. With the RCA analog inputs the HA-1 will make a copy of the signal and invert it creating the two signals on each channel needed for balanced operation. There might be a very slight difference in sound by this method, just different. I would not be too concerned with the inputs. It is the outputs that can make more of the difference in sound. The headphone balanced output (4-pin XLR) have greater driving capacity than the 1/4 headphone jack. If the headphone has the balanced cable option especially with the planar headphones it's more likely to sound better on the 4-pin XLR.  That does not mean you can not get good results on the headphone 1/4 jack. I heard from more users that already have the HA-1 unit that the balanced output sounds better than the single ended headphone output.  Because of the fully balanced operation you can not drive balanced headphone and the single-ended headphone at the same time. You can still connect on the back the single-ended and XLR to two separate systems at the same time. That what I am planing to do since my HA-1 has just been delivered today. 

Nov 11, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #1,910 of 5,414
  With digital inputs, once the digital signal reaches the DAC  and processed, it is converted by the same DAC chip to the balanced analog signals for the rest of HA-1. With the RCA analog inputs the HA-1 will make a copy of the signal and invert it creating the two signals on each channel needed for balanced operation. There might be a very slight difference in sound by this method, just different. I would not be too concerned with the inputs. It is the outputs that can make more of the difference in sound. The headphone balanced output (4-pin XLR) have greater driving capacity than the 1/4 headphone jack. If the headphone has the balanced cable option especially with the planar headphones it's more likely to sound better on the 4-pin XLR.  That does not mean you can not get good results on the headphone 1/4 jack. I heard from more users that already have the HA-1 unit that the balanced output sounds better than the single ended headphone output.  Because of the fully balanced operation you can not drive balanced headphone and the single-ended headphone at the same time. You can still connect on the back the single-ended and XLR to two separate systems at the same time. That what I am planing to do since my HA-1 has just been delivered today. 

Alright. Seems like I will need to get a custom XLR cable for my Oppo PM-1. The Silver Dragon V3 should do fine, right? It's high-end?

Nov 11, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #1,913 of 5,414
I've never used the balanced and unbalanced PRE OUTS at the same time.  Does it really work using both of them simultaneously?  If so that will be nice to hook up unbalanced to my desktop speakers and the balanced to a tube amp.  I have been switching back and forth depending on what I was using.  Will it cause any issues having them plugged into my speakers and/or tube amp when one of them is powered down?

Nov 11, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #1,914 of 5,414
I've never used the balanced and unbalanced PRE OUTS at the same time.  Does it really work using both of them simultaneously?  If so that will be nice to hook up unbalanced to my desktop speakers and the balanced to a tube amp.  I have been switching back and forth depending on what I was using.  Will it cause any issues having them plugged into my speakers and/or tube amp when one of them is powered down?

Yes they are active simultaneously.
Shouldn't be an issue having 2 devices hooked up at the same time as long as the 2 outputs aren't connected to the same device.

Nov 11, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #1,915 of 5,414
^

Yip. I've run Oppo Ha-1 to my Woo (balanced) and my Marantz power amps (unbalanced) at the same time.

I like the headphones and wife was listening to speakers.

Nov 11, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #1,916 of 5,414

You should not have any issues at all. I just finished up hooking up the HA-1. I am using almost the same setup as yours. I am using powered monitors and my LD VI+ which is also connected to monitors as well. I will confirm with you later. However I will tell you that the official answer from OPPO technical support say this:

Yes, all outputs on the HA-1 are live simultaneously, so you can connect single-ended and XLR to two separate systems at the same time.

I know of another user in this thread states that this method works just fine.

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #1,917 of 5,414
HD800 sound great with HA-1 especially with balanced cable

Yape for me as well, I don't know why people say HD800 isn't good match for with HA-1. 
It's really a good headphone amp/dac imo.

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #1,918 of 5,414
Hi Guys !

What do you think about pairing with Audeze LCD-2 Fazor / LCD-3 Fazor with HA-1?
Will this HA-1 be a better choice than Schiit Gungnir DAC + Schiit Mjolnir amp ?
Is here anybody who can compare these ? 
Thanks !

Nov 12, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #1,919 of 5,414
  Hi Guys !

What do you think about pairing with Audeze LCD-2 Fazor / LCD-3 Fazor with HA-1?
Will this HA-1 be a better choice than Schiit Gungnir DAC + Schiit Mjolnir amp ?
Is here anybody who can compare these ? 
Thanks !

I think the pairing works well.

As to the comparison with the Schiit stack, the Oppo offers a lot more functionality and supports both single-ended and balanced operation. It operates purely in class-A in the headphone gain path. The headphone gain circuit is really a gem. All of the additional functionality, flexibility, and sprinkles on top are nice but not really in the same league. On the upside, they all come in one box, play nice together, and don't need any additional cables or thought.

Mjolnir has a lot more power, but is balanced only. It delivers more power in class-A but can also transition into A/B mode to go well beyond that. With that said, I would be surprised if the amp transitioned into AB while driving the LCD cans.I haven't heard Gungnir (I've had experience with the Uber USB Bifrost), but I would have a difficult time imagining the Oppo's DAC is superior.

So I think the real decision here is do you want to spend $1200 to get a lot of flexibility/capability/bells and whistles and a nice all-in-one package or do you want to spend $1500 and get a more single-minded system that is arguably better at each of its dedicated purposes?

Both companies have excellent service and stand by their products. Both offer returns, though Schiit's policy sounds more like one that facilitates a trial whereas the Oppo one sounds more like "if it doesn't work to your specifications." 

Nov 12, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #1,920 of 5,414

I think the pairing works well.

As to the comparison with the Schiit stack, the Oppo offers a lot more functionality and supports both single-ended and balanced operation. It operates purely in class-A in the headphone gain path. The headphone gain circuit is really a gem. All of the additional functionality, flexibility, and sprinkles on top are nice but not really in the same league. On the upside, they all come in one box, play nice together, and don't need any additional cables or thought.

Mjolnir has a lot more power, but is balanced only. It delivers more power in class-A but can also transition into A/B mode to go well beyond that. With that said, I would be surprised if the amp transitioned into AB while driving the LCD cans.I haven't heard Gungnir (I've had experience with the Uber USB Bifrost), but I would have a difficult time imagining the Oppo's DAC is superior.

So I think the real decision here is do you want to spend $1200 to get a lot of flexibility/capability/bells and whistles and a nice all-in-one package or do you want to spend $1500 and get a more single-minded system that is arguably better at each of its dedicated purposes?

Both companies have excellent service and stand by their products. Both offer returns, though Schiit's policy sounds more like one that facilitates a trial whereas the Oppo one sounds more like "if it doesn't work to your specifications." 

Thank you for your answer.

In the term of price, Oppo HA-1 cost almost 1500 euro here in Slovakia, which is almost 1870 USD. I hate this pricing here in Europe.
Anyway, lets say that price of Oppo and price for Schiit set will be the same for me. I want to use it just for the headphones, but in future I want to connect also power amp and speakers to this.

I am mostly listening to rock, classic rock, jazz, blues. Worst about this is that it is not possible to hear any of these, so I need to decide just from other users feedback. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back