Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Nov 10, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #1,891 of 5,414
I'm using LCD-2 and LCD-XC with the HA-1 and both sound great with their own signatures. The LCD-X should sound amazing and the PM-1 has been reported to pair extremely well. The HD800 is too fatiguing for my taste so I can't comment on the pairing specifically, but I will say the HA-1 already presents detail and texture very well and the HD800 pairing might be too much of a good thing.
wink.gif

I would agree. I had the HD700 paired with the HA-1 for a while. I had to EQ the crap out of it. Then moved to Audeze.

Nov 10, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #1,893 of 5,414
  I felt that the HD700 was a harsh sounding headphone to begin with when I listened to it at the RMAF.

Yes it is. I'm glad tho it pushed me into Audeze. I also sold the HD700 for the same price I paid for it.

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #1,898 of 5,414
I'm using LCD-2 and LCD-XC with the HA-1 and both sound great with their own signatures. The LCD-X should sound amazing and the PM-1 has been reported to pair extremely well. The HD800 is too fatiguing for my taste so I can't comment on the pairing specifically, but I will say the HA-1 already presents detail and texture very well and the HD800 pairing might be too much of a good thing.
wink.gif

Or we might say, "The HA-1's DAC and amp is too fatiguing when heard with the HD800."  
wink.gif

But the HA-1 indeed sounds great with every other headphone in my inventory.

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #1,899 of 5,414

Thanks for answering. Another question:

Which gain setting should I use for an Oppo PM-1? High? Normal? I plan to use low listening volume. I don't like it when it's very loud.

I suspect you will want to use normal. The HA-1/PM-1 combo gets far louder on normal gain than I can tolerate. I'm not aware of any sound quality benefits that warrant running high gain just for kicks. The HE-6 and HD800s use more of the volume knob for me, but still I've yet to find myself desiring going into high gain.

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #1,900 of 5,414
Or we might say, "The HA-1's DAC and amp is too fatiguing when heard with the HD800."  :wink:

But the HA-1 indeed sounds great with every other headphone in my inventory.

sounding great with every other headphone seems to alude to the issue being with the headphone.

Ever since I did the anax2.0(partially just over the metal ring) I was freed from my problem with the hd800 and find the hd800/Draug2/HA-1 combo incredible.

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #1,901 of 5,414

I suspect you will want to use normal. The HA-1/PM-1 combo gets far louder on normal gain than I can tolerate. I'm not aware of any sound quality benefits that warrant running high gain just for kicks. The HE-6 and HD800s use more of the volume knob for me, but still I've yet to find myself desiring going into high gain.

Alright, thanks. Can't wait to get this combo and listen to all of my CDs.

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #1,902 of 5,414

Thanks for answering. Another question:

Which gain setting should I use for an Oppo PM-1? High? Normal? I plan to use low listening volume. I don't like it when it's very loud.

I asked this of Oppo support (as well as a question about cabling) and this is the reply:

You will want to use XLR to the HA-1 and use Normal Gain unless you use the PM-1 in a noisy environment, at which you should use High Gain as it allows for more volume output.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

Ken

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #1,904 of 5,414
I think that the XLR for the Oppo PM-1 is optional and extra cost. Since the HA-1 has all balanced circuity it is best to use the the XLR outputs when possible to maximize performance. I think of the HA-1 as headphone pre/amp first with DAC added to it.     

Users who are viewing this thread

Back