Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Nov 25, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #1,981 of 5,414
  Sorry if I'm repeating a previous question but too many pages to go back through. I've just connected my HA-1 to my laptop via USB to try a few digital downloads I've acquired over the years with various vinyl purchases. The first one I've been trying is Deep purple Made in Japan higher rez files at 96Khz.
When playing these they show the PCM96Khz on Foobar but the Oppo shows what looks like a down sampling to PCM 44.1/16.

Totally new to this digital media so any advice appreciated.

That usually means that something is wrong with the Foobar setting or with the direct sound driver on Windows. So far it sounds like you are using the direct sound driver from your laptop and you will have to set the sampling rate on the driver. I use external DAC's which are using ASIO which bypass the windows driver.

Nov 25, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #1,982 of 5,414
  That usually means that something is wrong with the Foobar setting or with the direct sound driver on Windows. So far it sounds like you are using the direct sound driver from your laptop and you will have to set the sampling rate on the driver. I use external DAC's which are using ASIO which bypass the windows driver.

Thanks for the reply. I dug a bit deeper last night and my laptop sets the HA-1 as default speakers and if I go into the advanced settings there are around 10 options for playback ranging from 16/44 to 24/196/ Which ever of those I choose is what the Oppo shows on the screen.  I'm not too worried about that as long as the system is actually playing back the audio in the format it's saved in.
I see there are ASIO drivers available for download, am I better to install those or can that lead to other problems?

Nov 25, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #1,983 of 5,414

Thanks for the reply. I dug a bit deeper last night and my laptop sets the HA-1 as default speakers and if I go into the advanced settings there are around 10 options for playback ranging from 16/44 to 24/196/ Which ever of those I choose is what the Oppo shows on the screen.  I'm not too worried about that as long as the system is actually playing back the audio in the format it's saved in.
I see there are ASIO drivers available for download, am I better to install those or can that lead to other problems?

You need to install driver from Oppo website and set ASIO as output in Foobar2000 to get best sound

Nov 25, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #1,984 of 5,414
Has anyone gotten the front USB input to work with an android device? I have two devices that are both on Lollipop which has USB audio out built in. Using an OTG adapter I still can't get audio out to the HA-1. Anyone have better luck? Oppo said this should work with OTG earlier in the thread.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

The front USB port only works with iDevices. To get it to work with Android, use the USB port in the back.

If it detects but doesn't play any sound, then you'll need install and use UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro)

Update: this works only on the rear port. If you use an otg adapter to connect to the rear USB port, you can get audio to the ha-1 straight from your android device if its running lollipop. This works without UAPP so you can play Google play or Spotify tracks this way from android. Dizzyraider thanks for your help!

Nov 25, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #1,985 of 5,414
Had my Oppo HA-1 for 5 days now and absolutely love it.

Very high quality piece of kit for sure, sounds amazing rigged up to my KRK VTX6's.

Definitely true what they say about burning in the unit, seems to get better by the day, quite surprised in the difference from when I first started to use it. Still burning her in but extremely happy with my purchase, from the looks, remote, build quality and of course the sound!

Highly recommended! 
cool.gif

Next on my list is to get is some decent cans, although I do listen through my speakers mainly in the day time it would be handy for later at night. 

So far I am tempted to get a set of Beyerdynamic T90's as they seem to do very well for my music tastes and reasonably priced for what you get. Would be a good pairing for my Oppo you reckon?

I'd appreciate any feedback regarding headphones!

Nov 26, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #1,986 of 5,414
You need to install driver from Oppo website and set ASIO as output in Foobar2000 to get best sound

All fixed-followed the setup chain on the attached link and everything now working as it should
http://www.asus.com/microsite/essence/tutorialpage/Foobar2000-ASIO.html

Nov 27, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #1,987 of 5,414
Dear all,
I don't know if this is the better place to ask for it, but I don't find any other more adecuated.

I'm currently in Hong Kong and I want to take the opportunity to test the HA-1 and -if price is right- to get one.

Anyone knows of any reputable vendor here? I'm afraid of getting a fake one.

Thanks!

Nov 27, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #1,988 of 5,414
I'm not sure if there is already fake HA-1 in the market.
As for the vendor in HK, maybe you can drop an email to OppoDigital on their dealership for HK?

Nov 27, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #1,990 of 5,414
I'm not sure if there is already fake HA-1 in the market.
As for the vendor in HK, maybe you can drop an email to OppoDigital on their dealership for HK?

I also don't know; maybe not fake, but a "second production" product... it would be not unsual here; better play safe.

Thanks a lot.
I will go there a visit tomorrow.

Rgds!

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #1,991 of 5,414
Help!!

I’m loving the HA-1 to bits. An awesome piece of kit, but I really want to be able to attach a hard wired NAS drive (or something similar?)  into the back of it so I have all my 1TB of music available. Existing rear connections exclude an Ethernet connection (real shame that…. So nearly perfect…) but do include:

1)     USB
2)     Optical
3)     Co-axial

Is there any specific NAS device / manufacturer the community could suggest using that has one of these as an ouput as well as the usual (and in this case redundant) Ethernet link, and how would I access the files on the NAS unless there was an android / ios app?

Forgive my naivety on these technical things – I just want to be able to access my whole collection at the bedside in total as a free standing system and avoid wireless streaming (like Sonos which can’t do 24 bit anyway..) I want to physically plug-in something somehow at the back and direct that equipment to send a signal to the HA-1. Happy days..

Thanks for any help!

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #1,993 of 5,414
Help!!

I’m loving the HA-1 to bits. An awesome piece of kit, but I really want to be able to attach a hard wired NAS drive (or something similar?)  into the back of it so I have all my 1TB of music available. Existing rear connections exclude an Ethernet connection (real shame that…. So nearly perfect…) but do include:

1)     USB

2)     Optical

3)     Co-axial

Is there any specific NAS device / manufacturer the community could suggest using that has one of these as an ouput as well as the usual (and in this case redundant) Ethernet link, and how would I access the files on the NAS unless there was an android / ios app?

Forgive my naivety on these technical things – I just want to be able to access my whole collection at the bedside in total as a free standing system and avoid wireless streaming (like Sonos which can’t do 24 bit anyway..) I want to physically plug-in something somehow at the back and direct that equipment to send a signal to the HA-1. Happy days..

Thanks for any help!

I use a 2tb LIV ZEN....

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #1,994 of 5,414
One of the things that I did with the HA-1 was to raise it up on 2 inch extra large rubber feet right under the main soft rubber feet of the HA-1. It really helps with cooling and the top is much cooler now. There are vents on the bottom for air intake. You could use footers or spikes if you like.

Yeah I did the same.

I mentioned it here however many refused to believe it works.
I have had mine on for 8 hours once on a hot afternoon. It was only warm.

It works great!
The unit remains noticeably cooler.

I only used some rubber feet about one inch,
and it gave the unit the height it should have had all the time.

I can't understand why this beautiful, wonderful unit would have such thin lame excuse for feet,
when the design itself makes ventilation an integral part of operation.

Maybe Im being a bit hard as it really would be ok if the feet were at least a half inch thicker,
But as is, the stock feet not optimal.

Dec 2, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #1,995 of 5,414
I would agree. OPPO did at one time had a fancy stand for the HA-1. What OPPO should have done instead is to offer some kind of a fancy feet extender not the solid glass stand. I would not mind a good wood platform for the feet extenders either. I would like to offer this idea to OPPO or to some other third party. It would be a cool idea that actually help to cool the amp better than trying to use a fan.

I am still very impressed by the engineering of the HA-1 with its power supply that has a total capacity of 35,900 uF rated at 105°C instead of the usual 85°C.

This french site is the most complete review of the HA-1 from a engineering standpoint I have ever seen over several web pages. This french review site really set the standards for a product review. Just use your favorite translator.

http://www.hdfever.fr/2014/07/10/test-oppo-ha-1/

P.S. I realized that this web site is already mention in this thread.
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back