Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #1,594 of 5,414
Just add some larger footers/isloation feet and you'll see a nice reduction in temperature. This is the least invasive method I would think. 

Sep 3, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #1,596 of 5,414

I hope it goes the same for me.  I've had it out of the box a few hours now, and find the feature set wonderful, but the SQ a bit underwhelming.  A/B'g with my Conductor, I find the bass a little subdued and the sound a bit bright ..... the highs maybe a bit 'tizzy'.  The Conductor is known to be a little bit warm, though.  At this point, the only balanced cable I have is the one included with the LCD-3.  It sounds very nice however.... its dark sound complementing the bright sounding Oppo.  I hope it breaks in for me like it did for you.

Since my last post, I think I've found a winning combination.  I use the DAC out from the Conductor to the RCA input of the Oppo, giving me a very slightly warmer bass and slightly less 'tizzy', but still resolving high while still allowing me access to the balanced amp and balanced out.

I re-terminated my T1 and HE-500 with a 4 pin balanced XLR.  I've ordered a balanced cable for the HD800 .  And I took the ViaBlue 1/4" jack that was on the end of the HE-500 cable (from Toxic) and stuck a female 4 pin XLR onto it to make a balanced-to-SE adapter. 

Very pleased with my resulting sound and collection, with the added bonus of no heating bill in the winter!

Sep 3, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #1,597 of 5,414
^^ The dac on the HA-1 is pretty decent but can be a little "edgy" with certain hp's, especially those that already have bright tendencies. Upgrade to an external dac and just listen to the amp section come into it's own. 

Look for my first published article next week of the HA-1 on headphone.guru

Sep 3, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #1,598 of 5,414
Well it's official now, Hastur hooked me up with a demo unit for a meet in a couple weeks. Just got the tracking number and it should be in Friday!

Thank you again Oppo and Hastur

Just make sure you get it back to me in one piece. As they say, "You break it, you bought it!".

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #1,599 of 5,414
Just make sure you get it back to me in one piece. As they say, "You break it, you bought it!".

I wish I could not break it and still buy it... Next year... Next year...

I'm crossing my fingers for a silver one... Looking forward to the surprise. (Though I'm guessing it will be black since the demos came in black)

Sep 4, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #1,600 of 5,414
Got mine this morning and have limited time on it but so far so good. ...
So far so good.

d9510caeefdbdbafc1d78a01ddea25ec.jpg

Bill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey! Sweet looking setup...

All I need is a lava lamp and a headphone stand...
Or one that doubles as a headphone stand! Lol

I just put my cans in closet to only have one out.

So far I would say to those who recently attained the HA-1,
That sound changes a bit after it breaks in,
With the headphone out treble sparkle going away and much later the rear op amp section also gets better as it was a bit lean at first.
I use USB and internal dac so I never encountered any lacking and this unit is best setup I ever had so far, touching top tier status.
Overall I would still view this amp a bit on the sweet side(flavor of sound) of neutral...

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #1,601 of 5,414
Got mine this morning and have limited time on it but so far so good. ...
So far so good.

d9510caeefdbdbafc1d78a01ddea25ec.jpg

Bill

Hey! Sweet looking setup...

All I need is a lava lamp and a headphone stand...
Or one that doubles as a headphone stand! Lol

I just put my cans in closet to only have one out.

So far I would say to those who recently attained the HA-1,
That sound changes a bit after it breaks in,
With the headphone out treble sparkle going away and much later the rear op amp section also gets better as it was a bit lean at first.
I use USB and internal dac so I never encountered any lacking and this unit is best setup I ever had so far, touching top tier status.
Overall I would still view this amp a bit on the sweet side(flavor of sound) of neutral...

Dude...you need a headphone TREE!

You might be onto something with that lava lamp/headphone stand combo though! It would kill two birds with one stone!

Bill

Sep 4, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #1,602 of 5,414
I keep my headphones in the closet too...  for a different reason though...   If my wife knew how many headphones I've got I probably wouldn't have a wife... just a closet full of headphones...

So far I have her convinced that a HD800 is actually a M-50....   :)   and my JH-16 came with my Iphone  :wink:

Sep 4, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #1,603 of 5,414
I keep my headphones in the closet too...  for a different reason though...   If my wife knew how many headphones I've got I probably wouldn't have a wife... just a closet full of headphones...

So far I have her convinced that a HD800 is actually a M-50....   :)   and my JH-16 came with my Iphone  :wink:

You really think your wife doesn't know? :wink: Wives know ALL.

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #1,604 of 5,414
I've had the HA-1 and PM-1 for quite a while but have almost exclusively listened using HD800's as it's the best I've heard them sound. However, over the last few days I've tried the PM-1's again. I don't know if it because the HA-1 has improved with time but the PM-1/HA-1 combo is really quite amazing. It's a great listen, almost tubey.... The HD800 takes some beating for micro detail and soundstage but the PM-1's are sweeeeet with the HA-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back