1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by aamefford, May 7, 2014.
First

Back
97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106
108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117
Next

Last
  1. rambotan
    OK, I thought that "scratch" was on the film

2. mrscotchguy
    Well it's official now, Hastur hooked me up with a demo unit for a meet in a couple weeks. Just got the tracking number and it should be in Friday!

Thank you again Oppo and Hastur

3. SharpEars
    OK, short of running a fan over/under it, what do you guys do to keep you HA-1 running cooler?

4. MattTCG
    Just add some larger footers/isloation feet and you'll see a nice reduction in temperature. This is the least invasive method I would think. 

5. LAMark
    Agreed. I mounted mine on some cheapo 1-inch high furniture feet, and the unit cooled off noticeably. Still sounds great...

6. BobJS

Since my last post, I think I've found a winning combination.  I use the DAC out from the Conductor to the RCA input of the Oppo, giving me a very slightly warmer bass and slightly less 'tizzy', but still resolving high while still allowing me access to the balanced amp and balanced out.

I re-terminated my T1 and HE-500 with a 4 pin balanced XLR.  I've ordered a balanced cable for the HD800 .  And I took the ViaBlue 1/4" jack that was on the end of the HE-500 cable (from Toxic) and stuck a female 4 pin XLR onto it to make a balanced-to-SE adapter. 

Very pleased with my resulting sound and collection, with the added bonus of no heating bill in the winter!

7. MattTCG
    ^^ The dac on the HA-1 is pretty decent but can be a little "edgy" with certain hp's, especially those that already have bright tendencies. Upgrade to an external dac and just listen to the amp section come into it's own. 

Look for my first published article next week of the HA-1 on headphone.guru

zilch0md and SharpEars like this.
  8. HasturTheYellow

Just make sure you get it back to me in one piece. As they say, "You break it, you bought it!".

9. mrscotchguy

I wish I could not break it and still buy it... Next year... Next year...

I'm crossing my fingers for a silver one... Looking forward to the surprise. (Though I'm guessing it will be black since the demos came in black)

10. Maxx134

Hey! Sweet looking setup...

All I need is a lava lamp and a headphone stand...
    Or one that doubles as a headphone stand! Lol
    20140830_204206.jpg
    I just put my cans in closet to only have one out.

So far I would say to those who recently attained the HA-1,
    That sound changes a bit after it breaks in,
    With the headphone out treble sparkle going away and much later the rear op amp section also gets better as it was a bit lean at first.
    I use USB and internal dac so I never encountered any lacking and this unit is best setup I ever had so far, touching top tier status.
    Overall I would still view this amp a bit on the sweet side(flavor of sound) of neutral...

11. wgb113

Dude...you need a headphone TREE!

You might be onto something with that lava lamp/headphone stand combo though! It would kill two birds with one stone!

Bill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Dixter
    I keep my headphones in the closet too...  for a different reason though...   If my wife knew how many headphones I've got I probably wouldn't have a wife... just a closet full of headphones...

So far I have her convinced that a HD800 is actually a M-50....   :)   and my JH-16 came with my Iphone  :wink:

13. x RELIC x Contributor

You really think your wife doesn't know? :wink: Wives know ALL.

14. SpudHarris Contributor
    I've had the HA-1 and PM-1 for quite a while but have almost exclusively listened using HD800's as it's the best I've heard them sound. However, over the last few days I've tried the PM-1's again. I don't know if it because the HA-1 has improved with time but the PM-1/HA-1 combo is really quite amazing. It's a great listen, almost tubey.... The HD800 takes some beating for micro detail and soundstage but the PM-1's are sweeeeet with the HA-1.

15. avraham

Yup mine knows all about my $100 HA-1 and my $75 PM-1

First

Back
97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106
108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117
Next

Last