Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Sep 4, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #1,607 of 5,414
Dear god... when I had friend over and they were gushing over the HD800... they let slip the price.

DOG HOUSE! she thought I paid $150-200

I pity you man.
My wife knows how much I paid for my TG!334 and CF Roxanne as she was with me when I purchased the iems, but for HA-1, I knocked-off $300 from their purchase price

Sep 4, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #1,608 of 5,414
I'm crossing my fingers for a silver one... Looking forward to the surprise. (Though I'm guessing it will be black since the demos came in black)

Unfortunately we only have black available for review samples as the silver units were manufactured after the black units. Surprisingly, no one has returned a silver unit for a refund. Hmm... maybe we should stop selling black units...

Sep 4, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #1,610 of 5,414
Unfortunately we only have black available for review samples as the silver units were manufactured after the black units. Surprisingly, no one has returned a silver unit for a refund. Hmm... maybe we should stop selling black units...

I figured as much... a boy can dream. Is it bad that I checked my tracking number every 20 minutes today to see if it'd come in a day early (my day off)?

Sep 4, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #1,612 of 5,414
Dear god... when I had friend over and they were gushing over the HD800... they let slip the price.

DOG HOUSE! she thought I paid $150-200

Thanks for the laugh this afternoon. I needed that.

Wives are just so universal aye! They think their soul purpose is to treat us like naughty little boys.

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #1,614 of 5,414
I've had the HA-1 and PM-1 for quite a while but have almost exclusively listened using HD800's as it's the best I've heard them sound. However, over the last few days I've tried the PM-1's again. I don't know if it because the HA-1 has improved with time but the PM-1/HA-1 combo is really quite amazing. It's a great listen, almost tubey.... The HD800 takes some beating for micro detail and soundstage but the PM-1's are sweeeeet with the HA-1.

Hey Nigel!    

I hear you regarding the HA-1 > PM-1 - that pairing grew on me, too!  

Have you tried the PM-1 with a Sansa Clip+?  

(I'm not kidding!)  Forget about listening for shortcomings and just enjoy the fun factor - it's a very relaxed ride that invokes a lot of emotion - and it's thoroughly forgiving.  Play your worst recordings - it's amazingly detailed but smooth in the highs, with increasing slowness as you go down in frequencies, until it's getting pretty sloppy in the low bass, but still punchy and again, very organic, natural, fun, immersive, involving, all those good adjectives.  
wink.gif
  You (or I, at least) just have to let go of the HD800 mentality and let it happen.  It's kind of like watching a bad sci-fi movie - with a story line that breaks all the rules of physics - but lot's of fun when you stop judging it.

But the HD800 is another story - maybe because I've spent too much time with my LCD-2 and PM-1 on the HA-1.  It's still a little too bright and fatiguing for my tastes, especially with the HA-1's ESS9018 DAC vs. something warmer.  

Which cables are you using with the HA-1 > HD800?

Mike

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #1,615 of 5,414
Man, I guess I'm a lucky guy.

I say: "Wife, there's a new Oppo amp I've been waiting for, just released moments ago!"

She says: "You work hard and deserve some relaxation and enjoyment."

I say: " :eek: "

She even ordered it for me as I was at work and didn't have the available time.

:cool:

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #1,618 of 5,414
I've had the HA-1 and PM-1 for quite a while but have almost exclusively listened using HD800's as it's the best I've heard them sound. However, over the last few days I've tried the PM-1's again. I don't know if it because the HA-1 has improved with time but the PM-1/HA-1 combo is really quite amazing. It's a great listen, almost tubey.... The HD800 takes some beating for micro detail and soundstage but the PM-1's are sweeeeet with the HA-1.

Hey Nigel!    

I hear you regarding the HA-1 > PM-1 - that pairing grew on me, too!  

Have you tried the PM-1 with a Sansa Clip+?  

(I'm not kidding!)  Forget about listening for shortcomings and just enjoy the fun factor - it's a very relaxed ride that invokes a lot of emotion - and it's thoroughly forgiving.  Play your worst recordings - it's amazingly detailed but smooth in the highs, with increasing slowness as you go down in frequencies, until it's getting pretty sloppy in the low bass, but still punchy and again, very organic, natural, fun, immersive, involving, all those good adjectives.  
wink.gif
  You (or I, at least) just have to let go of the HD800 mentality and let it happen.  It's kind of like watching a bad sci-fi movie - with a story line that breaks all the rules of physics - but lot's of fun when you stop judging it.

But the HD800 is another story - maybe because I've spent too much time with my LCD-2 and PM-1 on the HA-1.  It's still a little too bright and fatiguing for my tastes, especially with the HA-1's ESS9018 DAC vs. something warmer.  

Which cables are you using with the HA-1 > HD800?

Mike

Do annax mod and get Norne cable with 4 pin XLR . I was thinking about letting them go after trying HE-560 but after getting Vanquish cable i have changed my mind

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #1,619 of 5,414
Sep 5, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #1,620 of 5,414
Do annax mod and get Norne cable with 4 pin XLR . I was thinking about letting them go after trying HE-560 but after getting Vanquish cable i have changed my mind

Thanks for that advice. Others have recommended the mod in response to my similar posts, so I finally ordered the materials a couple of days ago...

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back