Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
May 19, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #301 of 5,414
Can you also add an aromatherapy feature? And maybe a coffee maker?

Nice one :beerchug: We could milk this for comedy value from here for a while but I think Aromatherapy and Coffee making options are a great idea, two very important things to me hehe :D

Well, class A could pop corn

Dudes!

You're on my level...:p

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/hmP7TYtDVUU[/VIDEO]

Particularly like the coffee maker suggestion :D

May 19, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #305 of 5,414
can anyone compare the heat output of the ha-1 to schiit stuff like the Asgard? I hope it's not that hot. I'm limited on space so I would probably only get this if I can put my computer monitor on top (but not covering the vents of course)

I had both the Asgard 2 and the HA-1 beta test unit at the same time.  The Asgard 2 gets a bit hotter, and the volume knob does get quite warm.  I'm not so sure I'd set a monitor on top of the HA-1.  Probably be OK, but I wouldn't do it.

Maybe I'm dumb, but is there a way to extend the screen for the spectrumeter? By default it shows 100-10k, I'd like to see 20hz-20k. 

One the one hand, I agree.  On the other hand, I've probably spent 10 minutes with the spectrometer display since the beta test started back around Thanksgiving...

The range is not adjustable.  Would be a nice feature for a future firmware update.

If I remember correctly, Oppo did expand the frequency range, or label it better or something during the beta test.  20 Hz to 20 Khz seems the reasonable range.  The bars would get pretty thin though, not a lot of screen real estate.

The spectrum and VU options are cool, but I think I've spent 10 minutes each with them.  I just use the info display, or more often, dim it to no display.

May 19, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #308 of 5,414
  I sincerely hope that Oppo does not add bass and treble controls. I am a potential customer and I do not want to pay for features that I will never use and could potential downgrade the functionality of the unit. I don't want a balance control either. There are plenty of products out thee for people who think they need that kind of band aid.

+1

May 19, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #309 of 5,414
Are these actually available yet? If so and anybody has one I would really like to know how the headphone amp portion sounds with HD800/650 (High Impedance) and Grados (No specific model as they all have the same impedance but maybe some RS1i). Thanks

May 19, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #310 of 5,414
Originally Posted by aamefford /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If I remember correctly, Oppo did expand the frequency range, or label it better or something during the beta test.  20 Hz to 20 Khz seems the reasonable range.  The bars would get pretty thin though, not a lot of screen real estate.

The spectrum and VU options are cool, but I think I've spent 10 minutes each with them.  I just use the info display, or more often, dim it to no display.

Originally there were no labels, then values were added, 100 hz, 1 khz, 10 khz.  The 100 hz to 10 khz range was selected to provide FFT analyzer (spectrum) view of audio levels without running into erroneous information from bass information. 
smily_headphones1.gif

A early HA-1 image showing no labels

May 19, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #311 of 5,414
The Spectrum Visualizer is logarithmic, so you run into major issues with how to display the spectrum if you include the full audible frequency range. Since it is primarily a visualizer, and not a professional tool for analyzing the frequency spectrum, we were concerned about how dynamic the screen would be if we had a 20Hz-20KHz spectrum visualizer range. A large part of the screen would not produce any results past 12.5KHz, for example, which is just a waste of the available (but limited) screen space. So we ended up cutting off the at 100Hz-10KHz, with "<100" encompassing all frequencies 100Hz and below, and ">10KHz" encompassing all frequencies 10KHz and above.

May 19, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #312 of 5,414
The Spectrum Visualizer is logarithmic, so you run into major issues with how to display the spectrum if you include the full audible frequency range. Since it is primarily a visualizer, and not a professional tool for analyzing the frequency spectrum, we were concerned about how dynamic the screen would be if we had a 20Hz-20KHz spectrum visualizer range. A large part of the screen would not produce any results past 12.5KHz, for example, which is just a waste of the available (but limited) screen space. So we ended up cutting off the at 100Hz-10KHz, with "<100" encompassing all frequencies 100Hz and below, and ">10KHz" encompassing all frequencies 10KHz and above.

Makes sense, thank you for the detailed explaination.

May 19, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #313 of 5,414

Thanks for the response! 

May 20, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #314 of 5,414

x3 Thanks for the detailed explanation. I don't mind not having it display much above 12.5kHz, though up to 15kHz would be welcomed. :wink: But I'd REALLY like to see individual bands down to 20Hz...let's say, "20Hz, 30Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz", or at least start the low end display at 30Hz. I don't mind that each of the "bars" would become thinner or narrower. IMO, there is A LOT happening below 100Hz that I would really like to see (individual bands, not everything <100Hz grouped together).

I'd also like to see the VU meters become larger overall somehow, with a larger font and the option for thicker lines/scale demarcations and a thicker needle. I love the overall look of the current VU meters (reminds me of my old professional Nagra recorder), but they don't seem to make very good use of the large display on the HA-1. I can't really see them from more than 3-4 feet away (maybe just my old eyes). The Squeezebox Touch VU meters are much more visible even though the actual display size is almost identical.

The only other niggle I have...while I'm on my "rant", :p ...is that the remote is very slippery and I wish the bottom corners were rounded-off...they are a bit sharp where the corners rest in the palm of your hand. The perimeter of the top edge is quite sharp as well...it would be nice to see a slight bevel along the top edge, similar to the iPhone 5/5s.

Otherwise, it is a fantastic unit with absolute ToTL sound quality. :) I just might be persuaded to purchase one . :wink: I'm judging all of this off of a friend's recently aqcuired HA-1.

May 20, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #315 of 5,414
x3 Thanks for the detailed explanation. I don't mind not having it display much above 12.5kHz, though up to 15kHz would be welcomed. :wink: But I'd REALLY like to see individual bands down to 20Hz...let's say, "20Hz, 30Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz", or at least start the low end display at 30Hz. I don't mind that each of the "bars" would become thinner or narrower. IMO, there is A LOT happening below 100Hz that I would really like to see (individual bands, not everything <100Hz grouped together).

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back