Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
May 18, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #286 of 5,414
I sincerely hope that Oppo does not add bass and treble controls. I am a potential customer and I do not want to pay for features that I will never use and could potential downgrade the functionality of the unit. I don't want a balance control either. There are plenty of products out thee for people who think they need that kind of band aid.

The price of the amp is already set in stone, already being sold to the public.
Whatever revisions they make, or whatever features they may ad, will not cost the consumers any more money.
They have a certain amount of R&D funds set aside for specific attention to the HA-1 as needed.
This is yet another thing that is great about Oppo Digital.
Not many companies out there will continue to develop a product for the purpose of improvements beyond bug fixes after it is released for sale.
Some of them don't even get the bugs fixed. Not that the HA-1 has any bugs, but just sayin, in general...

I also don't think it's necessary to add they controls you mention, but if enough people ask for it, they may add it.
However they would never add anything that would downgrade the functionality of the amp.
If they were to add such features, they would be added in a way so that they can be completely bypassed if the user doesn't want to use them.

May 19, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #287 of 5,414
If you're going to add tone controls, you may as well add a basic EQ instead.
I don't think it's really necessary, but if Oppo is willing to add it, it would be a nice feature to have.

Don't see anything happening in this direction.   The design is to not use the DAC in any manner that wasn't bit perfect.   Digital tone controls, equalization is just unnecessary as hell.  Want that, then do it on your computers audio application's, or using a  another box inline before the HA-1. 

May 19, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #288 of 5,414
Not many companies out there will continue to develop a product for the purpose of improvements beyond bug fixes after it is released for sale.
Some of them don't even get the bugs fixed. Not that the HA-1 has any bugs, but just sayin, in general...

I like Oppo products but let's keep this in perspective here - they are selling a DAC and an amp:
a) There isnt exactly a huge matrix of improvements beyond bug fixes that can be done here
b) Oppo is hardly unique in this

May 19, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #289 of 5,414
can anyone compare the heat output of the ha-1 to schiit stuff like the Asgard? I hope it's not that hot. I'm limited on space so I would probably only get this if I can put my computer monitor on top (but not covering the vents of course)

May 19, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #290 of 5,414
can anyone compare the heat output of the ha-1 to schiit stuff like the Asgard? I hope it's not that hot. I'm limited on space so I would probably only get this if I can put my computer monitor on top (but not covering the vents of course)

Only the top grill gets warm to somewhat hot eventually depending on your room temperature, and placement where it gets adequate ventilation.  I've read that the Asgard gets very warm or hot, even the volume control knob.   The HA-1 is big (don't know about putting a computer monitor on top of it), the heat doesn't propagate like that, and it cools down quickly.  I have hundreds of hours on my beta unit.   BTW there is a much larger grill underneath the HA-1.

May 19, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #291 of 5,414

I like Oppo products but let's keep this in perspective here - they are selling a DAC and an amp:
a) There isnt exactly a huge matrix of improvements beyond bug fixes that can be done here
b) Oppo is hardly unique in this

My comments about bug fixes would encompass all of their products to date, not just the HA-1. They do have a reputation that proceeds them for high quality support. This is not their first product. :wink:
Unique isn't the word I used, but rather I did say not many companies continue to add new features after the product is released. You are entitled to disagree, but posting specific examples would be better.
I will admit I don't have a ton of experience with many different headphone amps, but with regard to their universal media players, my comments are spot on.

May 19, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #292 of 5,414

I don't think it's really necessary, but if Oppo is willing to add it, it would be a nice feature to have.

Don't see anything happening in this direction.   The design is to not use the DAC in any manner that wasn't bit perfect.   Digital tone controls, equalization is just unnecessary as hell.  Want that, then do it on your computers audio application's, or using a  another box inline before the HA-1. 

I don't disagree, but just saying... IF Oppo were to add it, then... :normal_smile :

May 19, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #293 of 5,414
Mine doesn't get very warm most of the time. A couple of times it has gotten beyond lukewarm, but never what I would consider "HOT". I suppose everyone's interpretation of "hot" can be different.
I honestly don't think there would be an issue of placing a monitor with a stand on top of the rear part of the unit as long as it's not covering the grill opening.

May 19, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #294 of 5,414
  I sincerely hope that Oppo does not add bass and treble controls. I am a potential customer and I do not want to pay for features that I will never use and could potential downgrade the functionality of the unit. I don't want a balance control either. There are plenty of products out thee for people who think they need that kind of band aid.

+1
bass/treble and/or eq functions on a dac/head amp? get that schiit out of here. oh wait, wrong thread.

seriously considering this device, but interested in good sound quality, not more features that WILL ultimately either degrade the sound or add to the price. and p.s., no price is ever "set in stone." 

May 19, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #295 of 5,414

+1
bass/treble and/or eq functions on a dac/head amp? get that schiit out of here. oh wait, wrong thread.

seriously considering this device, but interested in good sound quality, not more features that WILL ultimately either degrade the sound or add to the price. and p.s., no price is ever "set in stone." 

Oppo isn't going to raise the price of the HA-1.

May 19, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #297 of 5,414
Oppo isn't going to raise the price of the HA-1.

of course not. not if they don't have to add a bunch more R&D and features to the device.

No, not even then. They have added new features to their current media players even more than year after release. No price yike.
They have never increased the price of their gear after release date, and that won't happen with the HA-1 either.

May 19, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #298 of 5,414

I don't disagree, but just saying... IF Oppo were to add it, then...
normal_smile .gif

It would not be used very much.   As I previously commented you can do this a lot better with a software application that is designed for audio playback/processing from your computer such as Audrivana Plus, JRiver Media player or like.   Another person suggested a graphic equalizer as a alternative.   

Personally some of the functions similar to what the SPL Phonitor offers would be more desired.

May 19, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #299 of 5,414
There has been a formal request to have this functionality added to the HA-1 due to customer recommendation, but there has been no guarantee that this functionality will be added to a future firmware release for the HA-1.

Thanks for your kind reply.

I know this request may seem tedious to some head-fiers, and I've received a few snarky remarks from it, but this is a function that I would find convenient on your amp.

:)

May 19, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #300 of 5,414

Absolutely - I don't get why other members start with the snarky remarks over this suggested feature/s. (this is not invitation for posts trying to explain snarky remarks from this suggestion from other members :p)

It would indeedy be a nice feature to have on the amp :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back