Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
May 27, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #451 of 5,414
  I am patiently awaiting my HA-1. I will be using it with an Audeze LCD-3 and a Sennheiser HD800. Currently I have a Burson Soloist for the amplifier and an M-DAC .....so it will be interesting to see if I can replace two boxes with one and gain in performance...or not!

I may have missed it, but I couldn't see anyone else comparing the Soloist (or Conductor) with the HA-1 yet.....

Yes, please keep us informed.  I intend to try one with LCD-3's as well.

May 28, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #453 of 5,414
I realize this is a class A amp but although the unit housing looks very well ventilated.
I wonder why the unit gets that level of heat where it feels borderline hot.
I do feel it is normal but just concerns me at times for longevity.
Would feel so much better if the chassis had the traditional heat sink fins lol..
Anyway just a comment on a unit that otherwise has no sonic/physical flaw, except the missing blue meters.
:p

May 28, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #454 of 5,414
I realize this is a class A amp but although the unit housing looks very well ventilated.
I wonder why the unit gets that level of heat where it feels borderline hot.
I do feel it is normal but just concerns me at times for longevity.
Would feel so much better if the chassis had the traditional heat sink fins lol..
Anyway just a comment on a unit that otherwise has no sonic/physical flaw, except the missing blue meters.

No, I think it is just that it is Class A. Heat sinks help, but that style amp just puts off tons of heat.

May 28, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #455 of 5,414
While heat is a very valid concern when it comes to electronics, there are different ways to keep them cool by design.
Fans are noisy and heat fins are ugly, but the HA-1 is designed to expend heat out of the open grills on the casing.
It's normal to feel that heat because that means the heat is being dispersed properly.
I've had other electronics that got much much hotter than the HA-1, and most of those lasted for many years and are still going.
As long as the product is engineered properly, heat is just a byproduct of the hardware, not a design flaw or a cause for concern.

May 28, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #456 of 5,414
While heat is a very valid concern when it comes to electronics, there are different ways to keep them cool by design.
Fans are noisy and heat fins are ugly, but the HA-1 is designed to expend heat out of the open grills on the casing.
It's normal to feel that heat because that means the heat is being dispersed properly.
I've had other electronics that got much much hotter than the HA-1, and most of those lasted for many years and are still going.
As long as the product is engineered properly, heat is just a byproduct of the hardware, not a design flaw or a cause for concern.

+1

I believe someone commented that this gets nowhere near as warm as the Schiit Asgard... That got HOT and I think people still moan and groan about it. Luckily there's a remote, where on my old A1, I had to buy a silicone beer bottle charm put between the knob and my fingers :wink:

Is it warm enough to make s'mores? I know earlier I the thread, people wanted a coffee maker attachment... :evil:

May 28, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #457 of 5,414

Very well said.
You guys are right.
Also interesting to hear previous post about the other hotter schiit..
Puts things in perspective. .

What I feel is key to your post is when you said, "heat being dispersed properly..."
That is exactly what I was wondering as to why the whole unit is almost same temp.
That is very telling of good design.

May 28, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #458 of 5,414
+1

I believe someone commented that this gets nowhere near as warm as the Schiit Asgard... That got HOT and I think people still moan and groan about it. Luckily there's a remote, where on my old A1, I had to buy a silicone beer bottle charm put between the knob and my fingers :wink:

Is it warm enough to make s'mores? I know earlier I the thread, people wanted a coffee maker attachment... :evil:

That's the only thing that makes me think so far, not that there is anything wrong with heat generation and dissipation but where I am thinking of leaving it, the heat during the summer gets rather high in the room so this is going to be a bit of an issue. What's wrong with liquid or sub-zero cooling? :D

What about chemical release from those sizzling components? :atsmile:

May 28, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #459 of 5,414
What about chemical release from those sizzling components? :atsmile:

I can answer your imaginative/unreal question with a real factual answer....

No where near as much as the actual amount of chemicals/drugs in your tap/bottled water that goes to you unfiltered and unchecked.

The oppo heat never gets got enough to cook.
Stays nicely toasty warm.

May 28, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #460 of 5,414
The temp of the HA-1 will depend on your room temperature quite a bit.
If you can keep your room around 70-75 degrees, the amp won't get "hot". Maybe very warm, but not hot.
If your room temp is higher than that, then obviously the HA-1 is going to get warmer too.
IMO it's always best to keep room temps as low as possible when using these type of electronics.
Usually that means central air during the summer if you are in a warm climate geographically,
and if you don't have that option, you may want to get a fan to put on top of the unit to help suck the heat out if your room is going
to be in the 80s or 90s or worse.

May 28, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #461 of 5,414
That's good to hear. I just got a pair of HD800s and bought the HA-1 to go along with them and a black dragon balanced cable. I'm using the O2+ODAC combo until it arrives - I'm hoping this is a good step up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

You are skipping mid level gear and going from a decent starting point to the top with that combo!

May 28, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #462 of 5,414
I can answer your imaginative/unreal question with a real factual answer....

No where near as much as the actual amount of chemicals/drugs in your tap/bottled water that goes to you unfiltered and unchecked.

The oppo heat never gets got enough to cook.
Stays nicely toasty warm.

Toasty that it will definitively be!

The temp of the HA-1 will depend on your room temperature quite a bit.
If you can keep your room around 70-75 degrees, the amp won't get "hot". Maybe very warm, but not hot.
If your room temp is higher than that, then obviously the HA-1 is going to get warmer too.
IMO it's always best to keep room temps as low as possible when using these type of electronics.
Usually that means central air during the summer if you are in a warm climate geographically,
and if you don't have that option, you may want to get a fan to put on top of the unit to help suck the heat out if your room is going
to be in the 80s or 90s or worse.

The room gets warmer due to the tower computer sitting at the base of my desk, I already have 4 exhaust fans on the side and one at the top that are running full time, fortunately those fans are of the quiet type so noise is not an issue however heat will be be. Adding a fan is certainly a good idea however one more energy sucking device, in a way I was expecting a different amp configuration so it won't be such a problem, best will be to give a shot besides I'll be able to try it out, the silver unit is going to be available by June. My room temperature will go above 80 deg because of central air, not on a room by room basis. :frowning2:

Thanks for the suggestions tough. :)

May 28, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #463 of 5,414
^Hmm, one idea that comes to my mind is an in room air conditioner.
They make ones that sit right on the floor now, similar to a dehumidifier but can put out heat or cool air.
If something like that would work, you may be able to eliminate most of your fans if it keeps the room cool enough.
Depends on the room and setup though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back