Official K-81 DJ thread
Apr 11, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #2,507 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by imp0ssibled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
omg, cant be lack of bass, they might not be fitting very well on ur ears i guess? maybe its not getting a good seal?

yeah, people usually don't complain about the lack of bass. the seal issue thing might be another problem indeed.

Apr 13, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #2,508 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by quietstorm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a simple portable radio, I don't think that the music that comes from radio stations is very good and thus you can't hear the bass.
As for the AV Receiver, unfortunately I can't comment because I haven't used my akg's with them.
Do you have a new pair of akg's? Maybe they just need burn-in-time then.

Or, the simplest reason, maybe your ears just don't like this kind of bass that the k81 offers. I kinda like the bass that the headphones offer.

Maybe I don't hear bass well? I was listening to The Black Pearl from the soundtrack for Pirates of the Caribbean and the driver in the left side was being overdriven and made a crackling sound a little bit with the deep bass (it was NOT clipping), yet I didn't hear it much. I have been experimenting with the seal, but it's always best where I put them normally. When I play that over my speakers, the drivers can get moving close to their limits and look to be in the 20 hertz range.

I have heard some subwoofers that could blend well and not make themselves stick out in the music, but the depth was certainly there. In fact, I plan to build my own (4 18" drivers one/box - 13hz tune - it's not important here) soon. But why can't I get that from my headphones into my ears?

That could be the truth about not liking the type they offer.

Oh and these have at least 500 hours on them.

Apr 13, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #2,509 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by arande2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I don't hear bass well? I was listening to The Black Pearl from the soundtrack for Pirates of the Caribbean and the driver in the left side was being overdriven and made a crackling sound a little bit with the deep bass (it was NOT clipping), yet I didn't hear it much. I have been experimenting with the seal, but it's always best where I put them normally. When I play that over my speakers, the drivers can get moving close to their limits and look to be in the 20 hertz range.

I have heard some subwoofers that could blend well and not make themselves stick out in the music, but the depth was certainly there. In fact, I plan to build my own (4 18" drivers one/box - 13hz tune - it's not important here) soon. But why can't I get that from my headphones into my ears?

That could be the truth about not liking the type they offer.

Oh and these have at least 500 hours on them.

arande2, there's nothing wrong if one doesn't like the bass of 81dj. Have you tried some other headphones just to compare though?

Apr 26, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #2,511 of 2,661
hi, wanna ask are there any higher-end Akg headphones that have the same sound sig as the k81dj's with their inner foam-pads On type of sound? i know many users here like it with the inner foam pads removed instead of On, but i somehow like its sound with it on, any higher end ones got sort of same sound sig as that or other brands/models too? thx

Apr 26, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #2,512 of 2,661
i can pretend to didn't see what you posted here imp0ssibled, BUT i dont wanna see you buy another cans and dissapoint for it...
wink.gif

K240 studio aren't the same as K518dj, the deep bass are not there but the whole SQ are far away from K518dj...i tested with Meier Cantante + Gmod + ALO supercotton, so i guess K240s are not the one that you looking for...but K271 interesting, even i've read somewhere on the HFI780 hilarious thread, that this K271 had the problem lack of bass/bass rolloff, maybe a tweaking, to perform the steril/analytic character seems right...cmiiw !

ah, forget it...another hi-end AKG are not gonna suit with you or me, mate...
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #2,513 of 2,661
Yeah if you actually like the full power of the K81's bass (which I don't; I always equalize it down) none of the top AKG's will do for you.

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #2,514 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunblade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know who I can contact/go about re-cabling and modding my K81's?

I'd like to pay for somone else to do it.

I was actually wondering the same thing... If anyone is interested, please PM me!! Would pay well!!

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #2,515 of 2,661
I have a pair that I've re-cabled with cardas and 1/4" to use with my turntables. They sound so awesome! haha. I may be interested in re-cabling them for you guys. PM me and maybe we can work something out.

Jul 19, 2008 at 9:35 AM Post #2,516 of 2,661
anybody how tomodthe headband, coz my head islil bit big ,so i to fix the headband to accomodate my huge head...?

thanks

Jul 19, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #2,517 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by quietstorm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
arande2, there's nothing wrong if one doesn't like the bass of 81dj. Have you tried some other headphones just to compare though?

Hmm..it's been months already since you responded? Wow, fast.. anyway..

No. I have not tried comparing with other headphones. I don't have access around to try any decent ones. The only ones I can compare to are cheap ones (Sony street-style, Sony MDR-V150 - headache inducer). Then of course there are those Bose Tri-Ports, which don't impress me at all. The deep bass isn't there, but the upper bass is a bit.. flabby sounding? Someone where I go to school bought some and I didn't say anything, but I did notice people going "Whoa are those Bose?" I guess it's just typical.
wink.gif

Also, what I CAN hear in the deep bass sounds awesome.. it just needs a little "reinforcement."
biggrin.gif
So I decided to amp it. I am building a CMoy and adding a simple boost that increases as frequency lowers (RC in feedback loop). It starts as a measly 3dB boost at 135hz, then slow increases until it reaches 15dB at 20hz. I figured that it's the best quality I can get in terms of bass boost.

Go K-81 DJ!

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #2,518 of 2,661
So they came in... And well... This thing is bassy. More so than the K-240S.

Rather artificial-sounding too (next to recabled K-240S...). Lacks in the high frequencies, a tad muffled.

Isolation's good. Probably all that's required from "street" headphones.

But otherwise... This is bassy. Too bassy, even painful on the heavier tracks. And that, with the K-81 already defoamed.

Jul 22, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #2,519 of 2,661
Well, I thought the same thing. I got mine Friday and the first thing I thought was "LOTS of bass, no mids and too bright highs". Well, listen to the people that say break it in. I've left mine on for just 24 hours now and the difference is very noticeable. Bass has toned down some, the mids have somewhat appeared and the highs have mellowed. I was almost considering sending them back, but now I'm very intrigued by what is going to come at my breaking point of 200 hours. Looking foward to the journey. Of course I'm judging them by my benchmark which is the sound quality of UE Super.fi 5 Pros.

Jul 22, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #2,520 of 2,661
Modding helped... Original cushions and foam inserts replaced with open doughnut cushions, enclosures lined with old speaker dampening felt.

They're still stiff and bassy with recessed midrange, but much less so. The dampening felt removed some of the plasticky echoes. Overall they're not as barmy-bassy as with the stock cushions with foam inserts. They still need some kind of fix to release the midrange. Maybe holes in the grilles, but unfortunately grilles aren't removable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back